Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Best way to reset after O2 install...

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 06:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Best way to reset after O2 install...

I'm about to replace both of my sensors on my 99 taco 2.7 and I've read the different ways to reset. I'm curious from experience if one way is quicker/safer than the other. Options are either pulling the neg cable on the battery or pulling the fuse... I know you don't have to do either the computer will eventually adjust but when I do it I'm not sure I want to let it just run it's path as I think the O2 sensors have not been working properly for a while.
161k on the truck.
Old 06-05-2009, 06:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Man what are the odds! Im actually doing this same thing on mine right now. Mine is a 3.4l but still a 99. Im concerned that the replacement I got at Advance doesnt have a long enough pigtail on it. where did you get yours?

Not sure on resetting. Intrested to see the answers though.

Back under the truck!
Old 06-05-2009, 07:04 AM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
I would say just drive the thing.

But if your stuck on resetting the ecu just pull the neg cable.

Old 06-05-2009, 07:28 AM

If your going to keep your truck a while and do allot of your own repairs and troubleshooting just get one of the cheap $50.00 code scanners / Code erasers and keep it in the glove box.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007LEG2K

Its nice to be able to read the code and find out what that check engine light is telling you ASAP.
Old 06-05-2009, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by FogRunner
If your going to keep your truck a while and do allot of your own repairs and troubleshooting just get one of the cheap $50.00 code scanners / Code erasers and keep it in the glove box.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007LEG2K

Its nice to be able to read the code and find out what that check engine light is telling you ASAP.
Agreed...but Im not sure what that has to do with resetting the ECU.

The only time I have intended to reset the ECU was when I had the dash apart and the ECU unplugged anyway. So I was not sure if the ECU would reset with the batt or not. Seems like it would have some type of backup so it doesnt reset everytime the batt dies.
Old 06-05-2009, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by skrassow
Agreed...but Im not sure what that has to do with resetting the ECU.

The only time I have intended to reset the ECU was when I had the dash apart and the ECU unplugged anyway. So I was not sure if the ECU would reset with the batt or not. Seems like it would have some type of backup so it doesnt reset everytime the batt dies.
Yea my half awake brain just saw that reset after O2 senser and it made me think resetting the check engine light. I have a rear O2 senser that ever 3K miles throws a code about the catalytic converter threshold being below limits and his post about the senser made think of that.

Most humble apologies for my impertinent posting
Old 06-05-2009, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by FogRunner
Yea my half awake brain just saw that reset after O2 senser and it made me think resetting the check engine light. I have a rear O2 senser that ever 3K miles throws a code about the catalytic converter threshold being below limits and his post about the senser made think of that.

Most humble apologies for my impertinent posting
haha, no worries...you should see what my half drunk brain posts sometimes

Half awake is an easy fix man...
Old 06-05-2009, 10:55 AM

Man what are the odds! Im actually doing this same thing on mine right now. Mine is a 3.4l but still a 99. Im concerned that the replacement I got at Advance doesnt have a long enough pigtail on it. where did you get yours?

Not sure on resetting. Intrested to see the answers though.

Back under the truck!

warning sign. pigtail don't fit, might not be the right part.

always always always the correct part fits correctly.
Old 06-05-2009, 11:55 AM

I bought Denso replacements off of amazon and they have pretty close if not exact as stock. It was between that or Bosch but I did some reading and glad I went with what I did.

They were $146 for the pair. I got the info for the Denso replacements at
http://www.urdusa.com/index.php?cPath=9_13

Yeah I have been following your supercharger thread as well. It's frickin awesome but a lot of that is a different kind of language to me!!
Old 06-05-2009, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by BigBallsMcFalls
warning sign. pigtail don't fit, might not be the right part.

always always always the correct part fits correctly.
Yeah, that crossed my mind. The pplug is correct, but the pigtail is just a few inches shorter. Turns out that it does indeed reach, just fine. But it sure doesnt look like it at first!
Originally Posted by KrashDH
I bought Denso replacements off of amazon and they have pretty close if not exact as stock. It was between that or Bosch but I did some reading and glad I went with what I did.

They were $146 for the pair. I got the info for the Denso replacements at
http://www.urdusa.com/index.php?cPath=9_13

Yeah I have been following your supercharger thread as well. It's frickin awesome but a lot of that is a different kind of language to me!!
Man I wish I woulda checked them first! mine aren't as cheap as yours but URD is still cheaper than Advance (Bosch).

Hope your getting some good info out of my thread...lean from my mistakes! Dont worry....a lot of it is a different language to me too!
Old 06-05-2009, 01:03 PM

Ha yeah I am getting great info from your thread... I just don't think they have a supercharger for a 2.7. Even if they did my financial status wouldn't allow me to purchase one atm.

So I was all paranoid how I was going to get those half disintegrated nuts off of the studs for the rear O2, well on the concept of putting a bunch of heat into them and then going for it, i figured my exhaust would get a bit hotter than my butane torch could get them...so I drove around for a while and then jumped under there (with some leather gloves on of course) and a pair of vice grips.

Needless to say they came right off!!
Old 06-05-2009, 01:06 PM

The pplug is correct, but the pigtail is just a few inches shorter. Turns out that it does indeed reach, just fine. But it sure doesnt look like it at first!
In my readings I found that this was the case of the Bosch. Some people argued that it was necessary for that thing to stick down in there a ways to get accurate/quicker readings, and others said it didn't matter how long it was...as long as there was air flow around it.

So although it isn't the same length the verdict was that they worked...I believe it was more about the life of the two (denso vs bosch)

Never mind disregard this. you are talking the wiring, I was thinking the sensor sticking into the pipe. NVM.
But there was a company that had a shorter sensor...how long is yours compared to stock?

Last edited by KrashDH; 06-05-2009 at 01:08 PM.
Old 06-05-2009, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by KrashDH
Ha yeah I am getting great info from your thread... I just don't think they have a supercharger for a 2.7. Even if they did my financial status wouldn't allow me to purchase one atm.

So I was all paranoid how I was going to get those half disintegrated nuts off of the studs for the rear O2, well on the concept of putting a bunch of heat into them and then going for it, i figured my exhaust would get a bit hotter than my butane torch could get them...so I drove around for a while and then jumped under there (with some leather gloves on of course) and a pair of vice grips.

Needless to say they came right off!!

Man thats ballsy! Did you try and remove them without heat? Mine came out pretty easy with a long handle ratchet. I had to use the flex head to fit in there but it worked pretty well. I dont think I waould want to be under a hot truck like that!
Old 06-05-2009, 01:30 PM

No I just got under there because I am impatient. Well, it's off to the dealership I go for the frame test.
Old 06-12-2009, 02:54 AM

one wonders why you are replacing both the o2 sensors? separate codes will list bank 1 or 2...

the easiest way to clear codes is to pull the EFI fuse for 20 seconds (under hood ) saves resetting the clock and radio presets and the alarm noise too.
Old 06-13-2009, 09:05 PM

I just got e denso 02 sensor for my 3vze from autohausaz.com. for like110. Didn't look for the 3.4 ones but they have pretty good deals
Old 06-13-2009, 09:37 PM

was that 110 a piece or 110 for the both of them?
Old 06-14-2009, 06:47 AM

It was for one but its oem. The stealership wanted 160. There are denso universal andbosch for like 80-90 also.
Old 06-14-2009, 07:13 AM

Oh alright yeah I went with the Denso aftermarket. 68 and 79. Not a bad deal and I heard if you don't wanna go OEM they are great.
Old 06-14-2009, 02:13 PM

I heard that Toyota dealerships will replace O2 sensors for free on toyota with 80,000 + miles. Anyone else heard this?