Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Beach Explorations (Pic Heavy)

Old 11-12-2009, 11:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Beach Explorations (Pic Heavy)

I had some free time yesterday, and I was curious to see what damage/debris was on the beach from the extremely high tides we received caused by Hurricane Ida.

I was exploring one of the dune blowouts, when I stumbled upon this...

Woah...car corpse...

It wasn't until I got around the back side where I could tell what make/model it is...

Yep, you guessed it; it's a 4th gen 4Runner! Oh the HORRORS!

Most likely stolen, stripped, and then torched. Kinda neat to see the steel cords inside the tire...

VIN plate on the windshield was ripped out. I searched it over for any other VINs, but the 4Runner was just way too rusted out.

Weird that the law / someone hasn't dragged the carcass out. It's not TOO hard to get back there...

Wonder where this leads too...I'd go bombing down it, but I was alone and not feeling very much like having my 4Runner meet the same fate as the other.

Lets get the heck outta here!!

Different blowout, much bigger and very fun to play on

View looking back towards the water

View from the top of the tallest dune

Beach conditions were pretty good, lots of driftwood

Sucks to be this guy...guess he didn't believe the forecasters when they said there were going to be ABNORMALLY HIGH TIDES. What a doofus.

Old 11-12-2009, 11:29 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
im guessing the S-10 got left there whenever the tide got too high..man that really blows..

and that's horrible about the 4th gen runner.....people are dicks...you should go back out and try to find the VIN number again...take a wire brush with you...then you could run the VIN find the owner..tell em what happened.
Old 11-12-2009, 11:30 AM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
The surf conditions don't look all that great but it looks like you guys get swell??
Does it get decent surf there??
Old 11-12-2009, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by toyospearo
The surf conditions don't look all that great but it looks like you guys get swell??
Does it get decent surf there??
Eh, its marginal. Mainly choppy knee to chest high, really disorganized. Nothing like what you guys have. Check out the condions:

http://www.swellinfo.com/surf-foreca...sti-texas.html

and a local forecast

http://www.corpusbeach.com/zwaves_toc.htm

On a longboard just goofing around, it's tons of fun!
Old 11-12-2009, 12:13 PM

Awesome pics, thanks for sharing.

Our runners are twins, 5spd Anthracite with clearcoat failure on the hood, lol
Old 11-12-2009, 12:20 PM

have you called the cops? as a victim of car theft, i know it would be greatly appreciated by the owners assuming the cops can find a vin and contact them.

Last edited by JShaffer0525; 11-12-2009 at 12:21 PM.
Old 11-12-2009, 01:50 PM

You TX guys have all the beach fun. Though i'll be honest, driving on the sand that close to the water intimidates me.
Old 11-12-2009, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by CYi5
You TX guys have all the beach fun. Though i'll be honest, driving on the sand that close to the water intimidates me.
hahahaha. I'm just surprised you can drive on the dunes down there. You can get something like a $500 ticket up here just for walking on them.
Old 11-12-2009, 03:49 PM

Last week up here it was 4 times overhead
The only issue with suiting up was where you could actually paddle out to the lineup. I checked the usual spots that hold giant swell and it was totally closed out. Today was big but mixed up and sloppy. Don't get me wrong I LOVE big wave surfing but when winter comes up here its sometimes a welcome relief to get the ankle slappers that beg for a longboard.
Texas doesn't look all that bad!

Last edited by toyospearo; 11-12-2009 at 03:51 PM.
Old 11-12-2009, 04:07 PM

wow that look like fun the last time i did some thing like dat and got stuck in some fist side rock will fishing good thing i had 4wd
Old 11-12-2009, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by mtpktz.
Awesome pics, thanks for sharing.

Our runners are twins, 5spd Anthracite with clearcoat failure on the hood, lol
Make that triplets!! Mine is the same color and clear coat issues on the hood! Kurt
Old 11-12-2009, 04:38 PM
Contributing Member

Received 178 Likes on 124 Posts
Great pics!!! Bummer about the 4th gen...I just went and hugged mine!!
Old 11-12-2009, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by toyospearo
Last week up here it was 4 times overhead
The only issue with suiting up was where you could actually paddle out to the lineup. I checked the usual spots that hold giant swell and it was totally closed out. Today was big but mixed up and sloppy. Don't get me wrong I LOVE big wave surfing but when winter comes up here its sometimes a welcome relief to get the ankle slappers that beg for a longboard.
Texas doesn't look all that bad!
Nice!! Its double overhead right now here in Maryland,but stormy . It is "suppose" to clean up by Sunday and be head and clean with off-shore winds.I feel a "cough"coming on,not sure i can make it to work Monday!! Kurt
Old 11-12-2009, 05:03 PM

YES! it is suppose to clean up here as well. I am starting to feel that same "cough."
Old 11-12-2009, 05:18 PM

nice pics! thanks.....we got some decent swell up here too but most of the usual spots can't really hold much more over double overhead....plus i get nervous around the jettys since last time at high incoming i smashed my board up!
Old 11-12-2009, 05:22 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Ha! Surf talk

Ya that past swell was great down here. A little closed out on the beach breaks. Probably 3 feet overhead on the sets on average. 4 times overhead? Dat big. Never seen that down here. Maybe a few times at La Jolla Cove. Surfed my entire life, surf ever day... probably wounldn't surf a 4x overhead'er.

Lived in Santa Cruz for close to 10 years. Got my fill of bigger waves there. Miss "NorCal".
Old 11-12-2009, 05:41 PM

sc, you have no idea how jelouse i am. i gotta drive 2.5hrs and put on a 5mil (in the rain) to then get into 50 deg water to surf mostly crappy waves.
Old 11-12-2009, 11:59 PM

It's funny how I could tell that it was a 4th gen T4R from the very first pic.

Nice pics, though I'm way too paranoid to ever drive my rig near salt water.
Old 11-13-2009, 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by CYi5
Because of the saltwater, or the risk of getting stuck? Driving up and down the beach all day with my Dad is definatley one of the awesome childhood experiences I'll be passing down to my daughter.

Originally Posted by stock as possible
hahahaha. I'm just surprised you can drive on the dunes down there. You can get something like a $500 ticket up here just for walking on them.
Same here, if you cross the dune line into the grasslands or mudflats there are HUGE repercussions. The areas I was in are kind of in the grey zone; I've had talks with the county police that patrol the area and they said as long as you don't go past the sand, into the grass, it's OK with them but Parks & Wildlife might see it differently.

Originally Posted by 96743runner
Nice pics, though I'm way too paranoid to ever drive my rig near salt water.
It's a ritual that as soon as we get off the island, we rinse our trucks off. They've got 'rinsers' (for lack of a better word) at the coin-op car washes that spray your vehicle 360* with fresh water; kinda like driving through a hula-hoop with nozzles along the rim. Does a good job and in my whole life, none of our families vehicles have had any body rust, only light/spotty frame and undercarriage rusting.
Old 11-13-2009, 06:26 AM

Dude thats awesome. I never new there was a beach that you could drive on that didn't have people. I want to go there now. lol

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Beach Explorations (Pic Heavy)