Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Battery strap - connected to positive = smoke!

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2013, 10:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Battery strap - connected to positive = smoke!

'98 Automatic 4Runner, SR5

As I pulled into a sloped parking space, my battery shifted and the metal strap holding the battery in place moved and touched the top of the positive battery terminal. That's when the smoking began... The smoke must have continued until it burned through the ground wire to the frame (which is very close to where the metal strap is mounted to the frame).

After the smoke stopped, I removed the battery strap off the positive terminal and looked for any other signs of burn through and didn't see any. There seemed to be a lot more smoke then just that single wire to the body ground burned out. Smoke seemed to come into the passenger area, but really, I don't remember much as I was in a pretty bad panic.

The 4Runner started right up... And seemed to be fine but I did not try to drive it as I'm a bit worried about what else may have cooked during those moments. Anyone have experience with this or have any suggestions on what to check or do to see if it's safe to drive again? I wonder if the damage is limited to just the ground wire to the frame?
Old 08-05-2013, 11:03 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

you sure the battery didn`t move?/

You had a short to ground I can`t figure out why the ground wire burned unless it was just the insulation that cooked off.

The battery hold down strap is what carried all the current.

You will make sure the battery hold down is tight in the future***I bet.

Because it was a short from the positive terminal to ground none of the protection opened.

In theory you should be Ok

Try not to panic these things happen

Don`t know enough about the ECT if that might have been damaged The fact it started was a good sign take it for a short test ride see what happens
Old 08-05-2013, 11:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wyoming9
you sure the battery didn`t move?/

You had a short to ground I can`t figure out why the ground wire burned unless it was just the insulation that cooked off.

The battery hold down strap is what carried all the current.

You will make sure the battery hold down is tight in the future***I bet.

Because it was a short from the positive terminal to ground none of the protection opened.

In theory you should be Ok

Try not to panic these things happen

Don`t know enough about the ECT if that might have been damaged The fact it started was a good sign take it for a short test ride see what happens
You're right on- the battery definitely moved, as did the metal strap both enough to touch and create the problem.

The insulation did cook off and the wire actually burned through. There are only a few inches from where the ground was mounted to frame and the battery strap mounts to frame. I figure the current was being carried in a loop between the strap and that ground wire and the ground wire was the weakest link and what cooked.