Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Axel wrap????

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2007, 08:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Axel wrap????

OK sorry guys I forgot that the truck info is not in my sig on this forum. It's a 2002 LTD 4Runner with the TRD bolt ons. S/C , cat, and trans cooler. It's got almost 50K miles on it. Lift has been sitting in the box for two years now and I run 275s.

I've got a problem on my 2002. The truck has a strange lurching feeling that feels very much like axel wrap on a live axel/leafspring rear end. Very often when I come to a stop then let off the brake to get going the truck feels like it's axels move a bit. Almost like the rear axel stops then when I let off the brake it moves back a little bit. Sometimes when I step on the gas I will get the feeling that the axel hesitates a bit then starts to move. I have yeet to get under there and look at anything yet so I don't know it it could be the locator arm bushings or something. 50K miles S/Ced
Anything else that could cause the rear axel to feel like it's disconnected from the truck?

Last edited by Donovan; 02-09-2007 at 06:26 PM.
Old 02-09-2007, 08:34 AM

based on the post, wed assume that you have a 4runner with 4link rear and are experiencing things like axle wrap?

could be the slip yoke needs grease
Old 02-09-2007, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by seanz0rz
....could be the slip yoke needs grease
I think ?seanz0rz? is 100% correct: lube your slip yoke.
Old 02-09-2007, 10:34 AM
Contributing Member

you say truck?... is it a tacoma? if it is leafs are known for axle wrap, with out the use of a trac bar, with big lift and tires.
Old 02-09-2007, 10:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
More info, Noob! For all we know you have a 2002 Scion XB.
Old 02-09-2007, 12:31 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by deathrunner
His profile says "'02 Supercharged 4Runner", but yeah, it would be nice if people put that stuff in their sig.
Old 02-09-2007, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by deathrunner
Dang you only got 4 months on me.
OK sorry guys I forgot that the truck info is not in my sig on this forum. It's a 2002 LTD 4Runner with the TRD bolt ons. S/C , cat, and trans cooler. It's got almost 50K miles on it. Lift has been sitting in the box for two years now and I run 275s.
Old 02-09-2007, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by seanz0rz
based on the post, wed assume that you have a 4runner with 4link rear and are experiencing things like axle wrap?

could be the slip yoke needs grease
I am pretty certain my 4runner has a 6 link suspension system in the back. Maybe I shouldnt count 2 of the links?
Well now my brains getting funny and I cant remember. Its only been a month since I was under there too.
Old 02-10-2007, 08:14 AM

you have the two lower control links, the ones you can actually see from the side of the truck if you squat down. then there are two inner, upper ones which you cant really see from any angle... then you have a panhard/trac bar in the rear. and then shocks and coils.
Old 02-10-2007, 02:03 PM

It could possibly be the slip yoke, but it is not axle wrap on a 4-link unless something is seriously broken under there. I would check to make sure everything is tight. Your post is kind of hard to understand, did you put a lift on? Or do you still have one in a box? I had an 2nd gen 4runner that the rear end felt like crap and the shock bushing were trashed. If you had a jack to get the wheels off the gound on it it would be easier to find out if something is loose.
Old 02-10-2007, 05:45 PM

When you get the axle wrap sensation on a 4Runner there are three things to look at to get rid of it.

First that has already been mentioned is properly lubing the slip yoke in the drive shaft.

Next, properly adjusting the rear brakes can solve the problem if they are out of adjustment. They most likely are anyway.

Lastly, look for oil coming out of the bottom of the brake drums or oil on the back side of the brake housing. If the axle seals are leaking gear oil that can get into the brakes and make the shoes stick to the drums and make them hard to release. When the do release you can feel a jolt sometimes if they are really bad. I know it sounds nuts that oil makes the brake shoes grab better, but this is the case. If you see oil coming out you likely have an axle seal problem which will need to be fixed and then the drums cleaned and new shoes installed. This is a comon problem and I have replaced the axle seals on both of my 4Runners, more then once.

Gadget
Old 02-10-2007, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by Gadget
When you get the axle wrap sensation on a 4Runner there are three things to look at to get rid of it.

First that has already been mentioned is properly lubing the slip yoke in the drive shaft.

Next, properly adjusting the rear brakes can solve the problem if they are out of adjustment. They most likely are anyway.

Lastly, look for oil coming out of the bottom of the brake drums or oil on the back side of the brake housing. If the axle seals are leaking gear oil that can get into the brakes and make the shoes stick to the drums and make them hard to release. When the do release you can feel a jolt sometimes if they are really bad. I know it sounds nuts that oil makes the brake shoes grab better, but this is the case. If you see oil coming out you likely have an axle seal problem which will need to be fixed and then the drums cleaned and new shoes installed. This is a comon problem and I have replaced the axle seals on both of my 4Runners, more then once.

Gadget
that right there is some good info...thanks!
Old 02-11-2007, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by Gadget

Gadget
Thanks I will check these out. Actually the oil making the brakes stick makes perfect sense. It's like licking a suction cup before you stick it to glass it. the oil fills in all the little air pockets and makes the brakes suck up the the drums. Last I checked the underside was pretty clean but I'm going to check it out.