Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Automatic Transmisison Maintenance?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 06:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dang you go boy! glad you didnt have any real issues with it!
Old 03-18-2008, 07:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
quattro, did you flush the whole thing out? If so, how many quarts did you use? Any other details?
Old 03-18-2008, 07:18 AM

i dont think he is done yet, i think he just dropped the pan and etc..
Old 03-18-2008, 07:21 AM

Ok...I just got done flushing the entire system out.

Here's what it took.....

It took just at 15 quarts to get it all lookin new and fresh, so I'd get a couple more quarts than that if I was going to do it again.

The drain tube is the one on the driver's side, it's right next to a large radiator hose.

This tube drained (on my 99 tacoma mind you) at about a quart every 20 seconds.

I started the engine, let 20 seconds go by, turned off the engine, poured a fresh quart in through the dipstick tube (VERY SLOWLY as to not spill any out the tube) and then poured the contents that were in my drain bucket back into the ATF bottle that I just emptied in order to keep track of how much I was gettting out of the tranny as well.

Right when I got to quart 15 my old ATF, the stuff coming out of the radiator, started to look cherry red, the same color as the new Amsoil I was putting in.

I compared colors every time I changed out a quart but putting the old stuff back in an Amsoil bottle and tilting it with the cap open to only get a thin amount on the top of the bottleneck while doing the same with the fresh Amsoil ATF. The old stuff was a dull brownish red color while the new was much more clear and vibrant.

When the bottles looked almost identical I stopped the process, this was right at 15 quarts for me.

Also, dry off your fitting well before reattaching the tube to the radiator, don't want that thing dripping ATF as you'd never know, it would hit your skidplate and not the ground.

I ran mine for a few mins without the plates reattached just to be sure there was no leaks. Mine was all good though.

Anything else you all want to know?
Old 03-18-2008, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by Quattro15
Ok...I just got done flushing the entire system out.

Here's what it took.....

It took just at 15 quarts to get it all lookin new and fresh, so I'd get a couple more quarts than that if I was going to do it again.

The drain tube is the one on the driver's side, it's right next to a large radiator hose.

This tube drained (on my 99 tacoma mind you) at about a quart every 20 seconds.

I started the engine, let 20 seconds go by, turned off the engine, poured a fresh quart in through the dipstick tube (VERY SLOWLY as to not spill any out the tube) and then poured the contents that were in my drain bucket back into the ATF bottle that I just emptied in order to keep track of how much I was gettting out of the tranny as well.

Right when I got to quart 15 my old ATF, the stuff coming out of the radiator, started to look cherry red, the same color as the new Amsoil I was putting in.

I compared colors every time I changed out a quart but putting the old stuff back in an Amsoil bottle and tilting it with the cap open to only get a thin amount on the top of the bottleneck while doing the same with the fresh Amsoil ATF. The old stuff was a dull brownish red color while the new was much more clear and vibrant.

When the bottles looked almost identical I stopped the process, this was right at 15 quarts for me.

Also, dry off your fitting well before reattaching the tube to the radiator, don't want that thing dripping ATF as you'd never know, it would hit your skidplate and not the ground.

I ran mine for a few mins without the plates reattached just to be sure there was no leaks. Mine was all good though.

Anything else you all want to know?
next step is to drive it around for about 20 minutes and on level ground check your atf dip stick to make absolute sure you are at the correct level.. i would get back under there one more time and double check that everything is nice and tight and call it a day.. good job bro!!

side question-- what did you use to get the return line off and what did you use to get it into the bucket or wherever you drained it from?
Old 03-18-2008, 07:35 AM

Nice job Quattro, I have a feeling alot of people are going to be referencing this thread in the future.
Old 03-18-2008, 07:46 AM

I took the return line off the radiator. The there was a brass fitting that was angled down coming of the radiator, this is what I used to drain from, not the rubber line itself.

I got that line off with a pair of pliers as there was only a clamp holding it into place. Piece of cake, just had to twist the line a bit in order to get it loose enough to pull off.

I used a half gallon bucket that I have cut in half to fit under my truck, I use this bucket for all my drain jobs....Oil, etc.
Old 03-18-2008, 07:52 AM
Contributing Member

I used a half gallon bucket that I have cut in half to fit under my truck, I use this bucket for all my drain jobs....Oil, etc.
lol, I had a cut bucket also, but had to get a full-size one because there was so much splashing
Old 03-18-2008, 08:12 AM

I took the return line off the radiator. The there was a brass fitting that was angled down coming of the radiator, this is what I used to drain from, not the rubber line itself.

I got that line off with a pair of pliers as there was only a clamp holding it into place. Piece of cake, just had to twist the line a bit in order to get it loose enough to pull off.

good deal bubba! did you drive it around to get the atf hot and check the level on level ground?? if not you should! you dont want to run with these trannies low on atf
Old 03-18-2008, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by mkgarrison5
good deal bubba! did you drive it around to get the atf hot and check the level on level ground?? if not you should! you dont want to run with these trannies low on atf
It's prob about a half-quart low. I don't have any more Amsoil so I'm probably going to add some of the last stuff I got out of the tranny back in.

Thanks for all the help everyone, couldn't have do this stuff without it!
Old 03-18-2008, 09:06 AM

It's prob about a half-quart low. I don't have any more Amsoil so I'm probably going to add some of the last stuff I got out of the tranny back in.

Thanks for all the help everyone, couldn't have do this stuff without it!
NO! lol... i wouldnt if you used that container for other uses making the atf contaminated.. just use any dexIII whether its dino or sythetic it doesnt matter.. 1/2 at wont matter but definately put something in there to get it where it needs to be.. go get a quart of maxlife dexIII for $3.50 and top it off.. it wont hurt a thing

btw how does she shift now?? also tip for ya.. do drain and fills every 15-20k miles with amsoil and you will never have to flush again!! thats what i am gonna do as soon as i get some tires put on
Old 03-18-2008, 09:25 AM

I found a quart of fresh ATF in my garage so all is well.

Thanks again everyone!
Old 03-18-2008, 09:26 AM

Oh...and the shifts are dreamy smooth now...AWESOME!!!
Old 03-18-2008, 09:31 AM

Oh...and the shifts are dreamy smooth now...AWESOME!!!

SWEET!!!! i told you would see a major improvment. its great stuff!! expensive yes but really top notch stuff... you dont have to worry about burning that up anytime soon.. just remember to drain and fill periodically to help keep fresh atf in and never have to worry about flushing ever again. btw keep an eye on your atf level for awhile to make sure you arent leaking atf
Old 03-18-2008, 09:44 AM

Sounds good! I appreciate the help MK.
Old 03-18-2008, 09:51 AM

no problem.. shoot goat a thanks too.. he helped the most
Old 03-18-2008, 09:58 AM

For sure...Goat, you were a great help as well. I'm very fortunate for the info as I like my wallet to stay as intact as possible. It's very hard for me to throw my money to the rabid stealership monster!

Thanks!
Old 03-18-2008, 10:09 AM

For sure...Goat, you were a great help as well. I'm very fortunate for the info as I like my wallet to stay as intact as possible. It's very hard for me to throw my money to the rabid stealership monster!

Thanks!
know what you mean... i can give you a tip on how to save $ on oil changes :-)

dont use synthetics unless they are on sale :-)

my picks of non syn oils

Valvoline maxlife 10w30 or 5w40 --- i would use that in your truck and run it 3-5k miles.. if you arent hard on your truck then you can change it at 5k miles... no need for M1 in our motors seriously.. M1 is highly overrated anyway.. i run valvolin synpower only bc it was buy one get one free at advance auto and i stocked up on it in 10w30

Penzoil- any flavor