Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

auto tranny help 1st gen 4runner? UGHHHHHH!

Old 06-18-2004, 04:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
auto tranny help 1st gen 4runner? UGHHHHHH!

Hellooooo yota friends, I'm bummed, just had the auto tranny and transfer case rebuilt on my 86 22re 1st gen 4runner. and now it isn't working properly. I usully let the truck warm when I first start it, but there are those occasions when I just get in and go. Well the first time that happend about a week after the rebuild I started it put it in gear and nothing, no movment for a good 10 or 20 seconds, couldn't even feel it drop in to gear, give it a little gas and nothing. untill after the 10 or 20 seconds. but you let it run and every thing works flawlessly. shifting points and the rpm's all look good when warm.
I'm stumpped, the tranny guys sorta are too, they said they did a pressure check on it from a cold start after being on the hoist over night and the presure reads good.
any thoughts, or memories of other threads, realated to this would be highly appreciated. ˟˟˟˟ been like a month in the tranny shop now, cutting into my body work and paint time for the 4runner! lol!
Old 06-18-2004, 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by cruisinforburgers
Hellooooo yota friends, I'm bummed, just had the auto tranny and transfer case rebuilt on my 86 22re 1st gen 4runner. and now it isn't working properly. I usully let the truck warm when I first start it, but there are those occasions when I just get in and go. Well the first time that happend about a week after the rebuild I started it put it in gear and nothing, no movment for a good 10 or 20 seconds, couldn't even feel it drop in to gear, give it a little gas and nothing. untill after the 10 or 20 seconds. but you let it run and every thing works flawlessly. shifting points and the rpm's all look good when warm.
I'm stumpped, the tranny guys sorta are too, they said they did a pressure check on it from a cold start after being on the hoist over night and the presure reads good.
any thoughts, or memories of other threads, realated to this would be highly appreciated. ˟˟˟˟ been like a month in the tranny shop now, cutting into my body work and paint time for the 4runner! lol!
It sounds like a "drain back" condition.

In other words, the torque converter is emptying out when the vehicle is sitting for a while.

There is an anti-drainback valve in your transmission- perhaps it was left out or improperly installed.

-John
Old 06-18-2004, 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by Transdude
It sounds like a "drain back" condition.

In other words, the torque converter is emptying out when the vehicle is sitting for a while.

There is an anti-drainback valve in your transmission- perhaps it was left out or improperly installed.

-John
thanks John, was just searching forums and found a link to your business, was just gonna send you this same question. I'll print this off and bring it to the guys that did my tranny. your response was sorta what I was thinking but didn't know about the valve.

I do remember the tranny guy saying somthing about a spring and ball in the transmission that can be removed because it restricts fluid flow. But had know idea what they were talking about. thought he said that it was between the tranny and the transfer case though.
where would this valve be located in the tranny? is it somthing in the front pump cover or deeper inside.
they seem to be good guys here, they are being very coperative in helping. they were recomended by a couple different mecahnics that I know.
supposed to drop it back into them monday morning.
thanks again.
Old 06-18-2004, 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by cruisinforburgers
thanks John, was just searching forums and found a link to your business, was just gonna send you this same question. I'll print this off and bring it to the guys that did my tranny. your response was sorta what I was thinking but didn't know about the valve.

I do remember the tranny guy saying somthing about a spring and ball in the transmission that can be removed because it restricts fluid flow. But had know idea what they were talking about. thought he said that it was between the tranny and the transfer case though.
where would this valve be located in the tranny? is it somthing in the front pump cover or deeper inside.
they seem to be good guys here, they are being very coperative in helping. they were recomended by a couple different mecahnics that I know.
supposed to drop it back into them monday morning.
thanks again.
The valve sits above the valve body, and if it was excluded because it is thought to restrict oil flow it is probably the source of the problem.

I would suggest that it be put back in.

-John
Old 06-18-2004, 06:29 AM

Oh and i just thought of somthing else, would probably support what you said more about a drain back valve.
I parked my truck on my budies driveway last night, and it's a pretty steep driveway. with the front of the truck pointed up. was there like 10 or fifteen minutes and came out and started it. backed down the driveway put it in drive and nothing for the 10 seconds or so. usually can go an 30 minutes to an hour or more when it is parked level. but I havn't tested it that way to much, just noticed the hill thing last night.

any way thanks again.
Rick
Old 06-18-2004, 07:11 AM

kewl, thanks again, just talked to the tranny guys, told them about the drainback valve, he said that he looked at it a couple weeks ago when they did the pressure test and it looked ok. but he is going to check it again on monday. the ball and spring he said he removed was between the transfer case and tranny. Just improve flow of fluid between the transfer case and transmission, and that it should not affect what is happening.
well hopefully some light at the end of the tunnel with this drainback valve.
thanks again
Rick