Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Auto Tranny Cooler Install Questions/Confusion

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2003, 07:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Auto Tranny Cooler Install Questions/Confusion

Hey,

Thought I had this but after looking over the tech articles from Hboss and jacksonpt on how to install the auto tranny cooler, I'm a bit confused.

In this picture from jacksonpt, the return line is the bottom steel line and it connects to the radiator on the drivers side next to the radiator hose. On my 98 base model 4cycl (2wd), it connects to the radiator on the passenger side. Is this the return line for this particular year/model? I assume the difference is due to 4wd vs 2wd? Or is the return line always the one on the driver's side next to the radiator hose?

Also what is the advantage/disadvantage of running the tranny cooler in series BEFORE the stock cooler and in series AFTER the stock cooler? Is one method more efficient than the other? Why? It seems both method will accomplish the same thing (cooling the oil) but in a different order ... can someone explain that to me?

Thanks.
Old 01-12-2003, 08:04 PM

Hey trangk,

Hrmm...I would think all 3rd gens would have the tranny fluid to radiator hoses set up the same, but perhaps it's different for different for 98+ 3rd gens or ones w/4 cyl. Jacksonpt's is a '96 and mine's a '97 and our setup is identical. I think Jay might be able to answer this question for you.

As for return line cooler versus send line cooler, I've read many times that it's more efficient to have the aftermarket cooler on the return line, by up to 5%. To be honest, I don't know the true reason it's more efficient on the return. I have my theory, but it will take me too long to type out.

Good luck with your install!

Al
Old 01-12-2003, 08:16 PM

Talking

Thanks for the quick reply Al....

Actually I had already installed my Hayden 679 tranny cooler this morning, and I *THOUGHT* I had the right line the entire time so I double checked the tech pages only to find I had the opposite of what everyone else had ... was debating whether or not to pull the hoses and recheck and reinstall. Only 5% efficiency is not something that makes me want to go through the hassle though.

I'd like to hear your theory though if you have some free time (you can just PM me). I'm really curious now.
Old 01-13-2003, 03:58 AM

Where are these tech pages you are talking about? I'm wanting to install my Perma-Cool Heavy Duty tranny cooler, too, but I can't seem to find good directions on how to do it. I own a 1998 4-Runner with the 3.4 liter V6 and it's a 4x4 automatic if that helps any. Any comments or suggestions would be great!

Chris
Old 01-13-2003, 06:46 AM

Originally posted by ravencr
Where are these tech pages you are talking about? I'm wanting to install my Perma-Cool Heavy Duty tranny cooler, too, but I can't seem to find good directions on how to do it. I own a 1998 4-Runner with the 3.4 liter V6 and it's a 4x4 automatic if that helps any. Any comments or suggestions would be great!

Chris
Here you go Chris, follow this link
Old 01-13-2003, 02:44 PM

Thanks for the link! I've bookmarked it!

Chris
Old 01-13-2003, 03:12 PM
Contributing Member

Here is my theory on why to install the cooler on the return line.
The send line has the hot tranny fluid going to the factory cooler (radiator), the coolant in the radiator is pretty hot, and with the hot tranny fluid going into the already hot radiator, the fluid will not get as cool as a stand alone tranny cooler.

With the tranny cooler hooked to the return line, the fluid goes through the radiator and the fluid that would have gone to the tranny if it didn't have the cooler on, now goes through the stand alone cooler, therefore cooling it more.

In my opinion, if you cool the tranny fluid first in the tranny cooler then run it through the radiator it would actually make the fluid warmer than if the cooler were hooked on the retrun line.

That just my theory, someone correct me if I am wrong.
Old 01-13-2003, 03:22 PM

The pros at Level 10 agree that it should go on the return line every time.

Chris
Old 01-13-2003, 03:44 PM

Originally posted by SLC Punk
Here is my theory on why to install the cooler on the return line.
The send line has the hot tranny fluid going to the factory cooler (radiator), the coolant in the radiator is pretty hot, and with the hot tranny fluid going into the already hot radiator, the fluid will not get as cool as a stand alone tranny cooler.

With the tranny cooler hooked to the return line, the fluid goes through the radiator and the fluid that would have gone to the tranny if it didn't have the cooler on, now goes through the stand alone cooler, therefore cooling it more.

In my opinion, if you cool the tranny fluid first in the tranny cooler then run it through the radiator it would actually make the fluid warmer than if the cooler were hooked on the retrun line.

That just my theory, someone correct me if I am wrong.
My theory is similar. Except I don't think the tranny fluid would get warmer by running it the other way, sources would then not say it's 5% more efficient the other way, they'd say it simply doesn't work the other way.

I believe the radiator is built to cool the tranny fluid from very high temperatures where the aftermarket tranny cooler is not. Also, the radiator has air cooling and fan cooling going for it, while the aftermarket cooler relies solely on air. Something like that, goes through my mind.

Al
Old 01-13-2003, 07:03 PM

Those are definately helpful theories guys ... thanks!

Searching over on 4x4wire.com, I found another install article at http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/4Runner/tech/trancooler/ ... in that article the return line is on the passenger side.

Now I'm definately confused ... oh well gonna have to pull my hose and check to make sure this weekend then go get a tranny flush and switch over to synthetic
Old 01-14-2003, 03:17 AM

I would follow the recommendations made by the Level 10 Staff, because they work on trannies every day, making them perform to the best capacity they can. Theory or not theory! Have a good one!

Chris
Old 01-14-2003, 12:49 PM

i am getting a little confused here.
i have asked a couple of macanics and they say that you dont need an additional coo;er as toyota would have designed the thing to tow its max weight as it is ? also putting extra cooling lines and rads will affect the system by altering the pressure on the tranny fluid pump.

any one have any thoughts?
Old 01-14-2003, 04:30 PM

My thinking is that the cooler we can make them run, the better in the end. That's why most aftermarket parts are so much better than the factory. If the factory installed all the best quality, best performing parts on our cars initially, we couldn't afford them!! Just a thought!

Chris
Old 01-14-2003, 08:09 PM

In my opinion I don't think we need a tranny cooler, synthetic engine oil or fuel injector cleaner additives. But in an attempt to improve our current vehicle situations and/or increase their chances of longetivity, we do these things anyway.

It's not about "what do our trucks need", it's about "our trucks come with what they need, now what can I get to improve or spoil it?".

I believe the addition of the tranny cooler will alter the pressure a tiny bit, but I honestly don't think it's enough to disrupt or cancel out the added cooling benefit.

Last edited by HBoss; 01-14-2003 at 08:21 PM.
Old 01-15-2003, 11:19 AM

Cooler

I tow a boat as well as a 4 wheel car trailer behind my Runner and want to get every advantage possible to extend the life of my motor. I installed a plate type cooler as well as a temp guage for the tranny. WHile normal street driving requires no mods, if you start heavily stressing your vehicle, you need all the edge you can get. So towing, mudding, sand dunes, drag racing and the sort put extra load on transmissions. If you don't do that you probably don't need it.
Old 01-15-2003, 06:19 PM
Contributing Member

In the TRD supercharger installation instructions it says TRD recommends the transmission cooler for towing, especially with a supercharger. I'd take that to be an endorsement that its a really good idea to add a cooler even if you don't "have" to. I put one on even though I don't tow anything because I figure they may assume most people aren't doing much slow driving in hot weather which will hurt the cooling efficiency of the existing cooler in the radiator. It probably isn't going to suddenly fail in only a few thousand miles if you don't add a cooler as long as you stay within the spec limits, but excess heat shortens the life of most mechanical things.
Alan
Old 01-15-2003, 06:23 PM

Heat is the number one cause of tranny failure, so wy not try to make it run as cool as possible?

chris
Old 01-17-2003, 05:04 AM

I hope you guys dont get me wrong Its just i hate it when i get conflicting advise and i think that i will be adding a cooler when i get the chance cause it would be better to be safe than sorry as i dont want to have to get the tranny rebuilt.

But you would think that toyota would assume that most suv,s will be used to their full potential and make sure that the motor and all its components were up to the task that the vehicle was designed for ,

I.E. off-roading and towing

but there again they have to get us any way they can

But thats just a cinical view
Old 01-17-2003, 06:13 AM

Hey Mark,

I didn't mean to come off as abrasive in my reply, so I hope you didn't see it that way.

I personally think the stock vehicle comes with enough of everything to make it last many hundreds of thousands of miles if you maintain the proper service intervals.

As mentioned in my response (and I was serious) I don't think we really need any of the stuff we put in. By "need", I mean our vehicles would not last at all without it.

In a nutshell: Toyota mechanic says you don't need all this stuff, I agree. I like putting in all this stuff because I think it helps, I agree with my decision too. To each their own, of course...I think the choice remains your's.

Al
Old 01-17-2003, 01:08 PM

not in the least abrasive and i tend to agree with you plus its always somthing extra to put in the sig

Quick Reply: Auto Tranny Cooler Install Questions/Confusion