Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Argh! I just can't win! :( (detailing rant)

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2003, 01:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The blade doesn't do the scratching, it is what ever it rubs accross the paint like pollen or some speck of left behind dirt.

I got the blade and tried it on the roof for a test and sure enough, scratches.

Let me know if you want one CHEAP.

Gadget

www.GadgetOnline.com
Old 07-09-2003, 02:32 PM

Conduct this test too. Take a speck of dirt or some pollen, put it in a microfiber towel, or any cotton towel or chamois and wipe down your car with it. Will it scratch car? I bet it will.
Old 07-09-2003, 02:46 PM

The 100% cotton towel works for me. I wash using only 1/4 of the recommended amount of laundry detergent. and then dry in the dryer. Remenber not to use fabric softner as it will surly leave residue and cotton fibers on your paint. Then I just go over it with the Zainos gross enhancer or the Griots speed shine, I used both. Great results.
Old 07-09-2003, 03:33 PM

www.pakshak.com

http://www.pakshak.com/

Ranney Pakshak is a cool guy and his product is straight quality and prices are super. He's in Hawaii too I buy his towels by the dozens! Waffle does the whole car and I QD with the small ones. -Stu.
Old 07-10-2003, 01:11 AM

Thanks for the advice so far guys, appreciate it.

Aye Corey, I have indeed read your page. In my quest to find a drying medium that leaves behind no debris, I've decided to give the cotton towels a go. Only problem is they crumble and disintegrate and leave behind lots of strands when its moved across surfaces with water on them.

I also own the California Water Blade and as of yesterday I don't think I'll be using it again.. ever. As I was drying my rig, there must have been some drit left behind as it made two noticable scratches along the front near the windshield. Its not very deep and I'm betting that some polish can take it out, but I was about to break down and cry when it happened. So, if anyone here wants one (I have two.. couldn't wait for the shipping when I bought one on eBay so I bought another at Costco.. big mistake) its pretty much yours, all you need to do is pay for shipping.

So, thanks again everyone for your replies. I know it may seem like I'm kind of anal about this stuff but as Toyota Punk pointed out, everything is visible against black paint and it can really get on your nerve some times.
Old 07-10-2003, 01:24 AM
Contributing Member

I feel your pain

urusai,

I know what you mean about the dark color. My truck is dark blue mica and you can see every little detail or dust, sand, hair ANYTHING! It drives me crazy but I swear by the microfiber drying towel and the other Griots stuff.

In about another month I'm going to use the number three polish, clay and wax. I last did the clay and wax June 1st and even dirty, I get stares and compliments.
Old 07-10-2003, 03:30 AM

I had a black car once, NEVER AGAIN!!!!

Gadget

www.GadgetOnline.com
Old 07-10-2003, 11:25 AM

Re: www.pakshak.com

Originally posted by hungryStu
http://www.pakshak.com/

Ranney Pakshak is a cool guy and his product is straight quality and prices are super. He's in Hawaii too I buy his towels by the dozens! Waffle does the whole car and I QD with the small ones. -Stu.
Thanks for the tip Stu. I'm meeting Ranney soon to pick up some of his towels...yes, he sounds kool, explained his towels in reply to my email. Most of you guys know me as anal and I plan to try these out on my detail/touch up biz as well as my Runner. I'll give ya all the details as to how these towels work. I've been a Water Sprite synthetic chamois user for years as well as just about every detailer here...they hold up about a year with daily heavy use. Maybe this will be better? I always 'dry wipe' my glass and chrome with a micro towel after using the chamois, just hate those micro water spots. Urusai, drop him a line and give the waffle towel a try. At least we don't have to wait for the mail...or you can wait until I try 'em.
Old 07-10-2003, 11:36 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

You guys are going about this all wrong!!!

My wife used to have a Black on Black Prelude. That thing was a BEAST to keep clean. I don't like to do things the hard way, so I came up with a way to "cheat" and still have it looking good...

Wash it like normal and dump your water. After you do that, rinse the bucket several times, fill with about a gallon of water, then add a teaspoon or so of JET DRY. It' made for dishwashers to make the water sheet off and leave spot-free finishes. Use a clean rag and go over the paint again with the Jet Dry water - DO NOT RINSE WITH THE HOSE! I have also mixed it in a spray bottle and in a garden sprayer and sprayed the whole car with it while it was still wet. Basically, it is a chemical water softener, so it won't leave behind water spots...

That black prelude is the very reason that I have a WHITE 4Runner and the wife now drives a WHITE Acura!

Good Luck!

Last edited by bamachem; 07-10-2003 at 11:43 AM.
Old 07-10-2003, 11:37 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Re: I feel your pain

Originally posted by Woodbert
In about another month I'm going to use the number three polish, clay and wax. I last did the clay and wax June 1st and even dirty, I get stares and compliments.
You know, the last time I washed my rig was in April when I did the Griot's Clay and BOS wax.
Looking at my rig outside it is still blinding in the sun, and even the Meguiar's Endurance on the tires has the tires nice & black.

It is getting a bath either tomorrow or Saturday though, as I have put it off for to long.
Just simply been to busy with other projects to take the time to wash it.
Old 07-12-2003, 05:06 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Corey

Another trick I knew about, but had not practiced in years is called "sheeting."

What you do at the very end of your rig wash session is to take the end of the hose off and not use the sprayer.
Just use the hose and let the water come out of it naturally.

Start at the top and work down.
The sheeting method doesn't leave behind all of the little water droplets, and there is virtually no water left behind to even wipe off.

Give that a try and see if it makes a difference for you also.
It should.
I used this "sheeting" technique today dry my truck and it cut the dry time down to about 20 minutes with no wringing. Pretty amazing difference in how much less work it is when using this method.

I'm sold.
Old 07-12-2003, 05:13 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Kewl
I was going to wash the :pig: today, but I was just to laid back to do it.
It's been hot here, and drains the energy from my bones.

Perhaps tomorrow, or the next day, or the next, or the next...

Believe me, my rig really needs it.
Old 07-12-2003, 05:21 PM
Contributing Member

You say hot?

Corey- It's 10:20AM here and I just finished about an hour ago.

Check the temp:http://www.weather.com/outlook/trave...clared&y=9&x=6
Old 07-12-2003, 05:24 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

That's pretty warm.
It was over 80 yesterday, but cooler today.
Looks like it might rain tomorrow, so I may not wash it afterall.

There's always next Friday.
Old 07-12-2003, 05:32 PM
Contributing Member

BRRRRRRRRRRR.

The ocean surface temp here is between 76-82 degrees!!!
Old 07-12-2003, 06:05 PM

So, where did this sheeting idea come from any way????

Gadget

www.GadgetOnline.com
Old 07-12-2003, 06:17 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

I use to "sheet" on my '90 truck all the time when I had my house, but it was not until I read your one post again here Gadget that I started doing it at my apt.

And if the weather holds tomorrow, I will be sheeting in the morning
Old 01-28-2004, 07:08 AM
Contributing Member

Just out of curiosity, guys ...

Those of you who fret over microdebris causing little scratches in your paint evidently never take your trucks offroad, right? I mean, all that dirt, dust, mud and goop is full of all kinds of crap that leaves scratches everywhere. :pat:

There has to be some middle ground somewhere between keeping a 'Runner nice and respectable and being the utilitarian vehicle it was designed to be. Some people have Street Princesses and others have Trail Monsters. Most of us are in between.

I guess I don't fret about little scratches in the paint on "Lurch" because that's precisely why I have him ... so I don't have to worry about scratches and dings.

I'm also a big fan of the Zaino products. I also have the Cannon cotton towels with the tags and selvedges removed, resewn with cotton thread. Use a special chamois, too, as well as a California Water Blade. However, that's stuff's reserved for the 'Vette.
Old 01-28-2004, 08:54 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by urusai
Thanks for the responses so far guys.

What exactly is a scrim though?

Its good to hear that about the drying towel though. Unfortunately though its on backorder until the 11th and I was planning on waxing before that. Oh well, I guess it'll have to wait
Scrim is an open weave cotton cloth somewhat similar in feel to a lightweight Linen. Used by professional window cleaners to dry windows. Microfibre cloth is probably similar however I foind that natural materials have more absorbancy. Same with Chamois Leathers. Natural ones work well, synthetic ones don't work so well.

Cheers
Old 01-28-2004, 09:11 AM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Griot's of course

Originally posted by Corey
He also recommends waxing your rig in the nude, but I am not up for that
Depends on who is waxing the rig for that one!

The "sheeting" method makes a WORLD of difference. After that I drive down the highway and then I come back and use this to dry off what little water is still left on the 4Runner.
Microfiber Drying Towel

I still have yet to have to ring out my microfiber towel when using it on my rig after doing the above.