Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Anybody know how to mount the factory hitch?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2003, 12:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anybody know how to mount the factory hitch?

Like step by step instructions. Maybe even bolt sizes required. Would be nice to look over before getting down and dirty.
Old 07-21-2003, 12:37 PM
Contributing Member

Sorry don'y have any info for you, but if no one replies with it in a reasonable time, you could always call a Toy parts dept. for hardware info.
Old 07-21-2003, 01:19 PM
Contributing Member

Its just 4 bolts that mount to the frame. The hardest part is wiring into the tail lights.
Old 07-21-2003, 09:10 PM

Well, I've looked the 4 holes and instantly the question arises: should the bolt be coming into the frame rail and the nut inside? Or other way around? Seems like it would be tough to get in place and secure it. Any tricks to it?

Also should threadlock be used?
Old 07-22-2003, 06:23 AM
Contributing Member

On my 96, the bolts go from the outside in. The "nut" is integrated into the frame, so that is not a concern.

On my 98 Tacoma there were 6 bolts. A little different.

No tricks, but it always helps to have someone there to help you get it in place. Be sure to torque it down to spec. I would say around 70.
Old 07-22-2003, 03:12 PM

I bought the hitch and wire from this seller and he is awsome. Got my hitch and wire front of my door in 3 days.

Wire:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...&category=1467

Hitch:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...&category=1467

I got my hitch from him only $49 (slightly difference from the one he has on Ebay). There are only 4 bolts need to remove and used 4 bolts that he supply since they need to be longer. That is all.
Old 07-22-2003, 04:05 PM

So I'm guessing the bolts with the red arrows will be holding the hitch? Or green ones?

how about that rust now that i looked at it
Old 07-22-2003, 05:32 PM

My hitch need 3 bots , 2 red and the far green.
Old 07-22-2003, 07:39 PM
Contributing Member

it is a simple install the toyota reciever comes with all parts and wiring harness IT took about 45 minutes to do the job.
the front reciever is a bit of a pain but well worth it.
Old 07-23-2003, 07:13 PM

I got the hitch and mounted it with the 2 red bolts on each side torqued around 80 just to be sure. Took about 200 to loosen them! That should hold it and a bike rack with no problems, but for the future I would want to use the 2 green back holes also.

There doesn't seem to be any nut built into the frame, it's a simple hole into the frame rail, with a cutout about 1.5" wide and 1" high on the side of the rail. It undoubtedly would a major pain in the a to get a nut through that hole, align it, and hold it while turning the bolt from the outside. Am I overcomplicating it?
Old 07-23-2003, 07:22 PM

Hitch install & hitch removal

I am actually taking my hitch off so I can fit my 35" spare underneath. I went to put it in forgetting how much bigger a 35" is than a factory tire size and ran into a bump. Hitch has gotta go! I dont use it being lifted and all anyway so if anyone wants it for cheap PM me. Maybe $20 and you pay shipping or meet up at Yota Jam to get it. Whatevers clever.
Old 03-14-2004, 10:55 PM

Hate to revive old threads, but i was planning on removing the stock tow hitch on my 97. I was wondering what tools (the bolts seem way to large for the socket wrench I have) I need and whether or not I can do it myself.
Old 03-15-2004, 02:56 AM
Contributing Member

A socket wrench (maybe with a cheater pipe) could do it, but I needed an impact wrench to get mine off. You can do it your self but to be safe either get somebody to help you or use some jack stands or a jack to support the weight of the hitch when you are loosening the last couple of bolts. It is deceptively heavy.
Old 03-15-2004, 03:46 AM

Originally Posted by Bighead
A socket wrench (maybe with a cheater pipe) could do it, but I needed an impact wrench to get mine off. You can do it your self but to be safe either get somebody to help you or use some jack stands or a jack to support the weight of the hitch when you are loosening the last couple of bolts. It is deceptively heavy.

I read somewhere that the tow hitch weighed about 40lbs. Is that accurate? Also, you don't have happen to know what size socket wrench I need to remove those bolts do you? The ones I have are all too small.

thanks

edit: on the bolts are the numbers '88' i think... does that have any significance?

Last edited by fade; 03-15-2004 at 03:47 AM.
Old 03-15-2004, 01:02 PM

edit: on the bolts are the numbers '88' i think... does that have any significance?
Yup, very important... tells you they are grade 8 bolts, which means they're really strong... Most anything that bolts to the frame should use grade 8 bolts.

My hitch bolts up, forget how many bolts there are. But, on my '99 limited, the nuts aren't attached to the frame - I have these long steel pieces with a nut at one end, they are inserted into the frame, and the hitch bolts there. A hassle to get back on tho...
Old 03-15-2004, 06:27 PM

I'm going to take the factory hitch off of my "new" '93 4Runner very soon. It should be a real thrill. It spent it's life in Salt Lake City. Bloody knuckles here I come. I'm going to soak them for a while and have a little torch handy to heat them up just in case. Fingers crossed (while I can still cross them )
Old 03-15-2004, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by Fahrenheit 451
I'm going to take the factory hitch off of my "new" '93 4Runner very soon. It should be a real thrill. It spent it's life in Salt Lake City. Bloody knuckles here I come. I'm going to soak them for a while and have a little torch handy to heat them up just in case. Fingers crossed (while I can still cross them )

Haha.. well, while ur's may be all salted up, at least u probably have the proper equipment to accomplish the task... Home Depot here i come...
What are you planning to sock the bolts in?

Btw, anyone know the socket wrench size I need to remove the hitch?
Old 03-15-2004, 07:27 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by fade

On my 99' they are 17mm socket size
Old 03-16-2004, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by fade
Haha.. well, while ur's may be all salted up, at least u probably have the proper equipment to accomplish the task... Home Depot here i come...
What are you planning to sock the bolts in?

There seems to be a consistent use of a product called PB Blaster by people here on the board. I ran out of the other stuff I was using and figured on giving this a try next.
As far as the tools I will be using, I would say a 17mm socket any big bar I can find for leverage, a box end wrench and a wealth of profanity learned from 15 summers of roofing
If you are buying new, consider getting the larger drive ratchet for this job. Every extra bit of torque will come in handy.
Old 03-16-2004, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by Fahrenheit 451
There seems to be a consistent use of a product called PB Blaster by people here on the board. I ran out of the other stuff I was using and figured on giving this a try next.
As far as the tools I will be using, I would say a 17mm socket any big bar I can find for leverage, a box end wrench and a wealth of profanity learned from 15 summers of roofing
If you are buying new, consider getting the larger drive ratchet for this job. Every extra bit of torque will come in handy.
18mm for a 3rd gen. and unfortunately I may have to get a larger handled rachet. I tried it with my little hand held socket wrench.. and believe me, my tool never felt so small and insignificant haha.

Quick Reply: Anybody know how to mount the factory hitch?