Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Any Good Stereo tips on 1st Gen 4runner?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2003, 11:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any Good Stereo tips on 1st Gen 4runner?

I own a first Gen 4runner, with little 4" speakers in the front dash, and that is it, I bought the rig recently. I was thinking about cutting speaker holes in the back for maybe 6 1/2"
I also want to put a box in, nothing big, but something for a little kick, maybe a 10. However, I live in a neighborhood where things tend to go "missing" overnight, and was wondering how convienent it would be to bolt it to the roll bar in a small box. Just looking around at all the options, any ideas would help!
Old 06-29-2003, 11:52 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Look in our Tech section for an idea for some bass for a 1st gen.
It's in Tech, then under the Cosmetic section.

Not sure for regular speakers, as I have a 2nd gen, and I run 6.5" components in the front doors.
Old 06-29-2003, 11:54 AM

Thanks man! Yeah see the problem with the 1st Gen is the doors have no place for speakers, and even if I did get in and cut holes, the speakers themselves would have to be very narrow, to fit between the shell and the door itself! Thanks for the help!
Old 06-29-2003, 12:09 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
You are welcome.

One more thing you can do is make a speaker pod.
That is what's allowing me to run the 6.5" speakers, which are also very deep.

http://www.pnw4runners.com/tando/pods.htm

It lets part of the speaker sit outside of your doors giving more room behind to fit into tight places.
Old 06-29-2003, 12:11 PM

I acually did look into that for my door. But if I did that, I would need to buy that dyno mat stuff that costs an arm and a leg. Because there is nothing between the inside shell of the door, and the metal on the outside.
Old 06-29-2003, 02:22 PM
Contributing Member

I also have a 1st gen 4runner.

Here are a couple of speaker ideas.
If you look in the back seat area, there are little cubby holes on both sides of the truck. That is a great place to put speakers, I put 6x9's there. If you have pretty decent speakers. they will sound pretty good there.
As for the front, If you have any good ideas, let me know. The best I could do is put a set of 4" seperates up front. With the 6x9'sin back, and the 4" seperates up front, It all sound pretty good, Even with the windows down and the sunroof out.
the sub works out pretty well in the back sides,and makes it very hard to steal. and it sounds pretty good too. I wouldn't put in too big of a woofer, because there is not enough air back there to make it sound right. You would be better off with a, 8" sub with a good amp. if you need more bass, just put two 8" subs on either side.

Have fun.
Old 06-29-2003, 05:55 PM
Del

I live in a neighborhood where things tend to go "missing" overnight,
I wouldnt do much then. My friend has a first gen and he put in a $400 Sony headunit. He took it to a local mechanic one day, and when he got it back, it had been broken into, and the thieves took a crowbar and tore the dash apart to get to the stereo.

If someone wants your ˟˟˟˟˟ enough, they'll find a way to get it.
Old 06-29-2003, 05:58 PM

That is why I was worried about getting a box...see, but if the theif is smart, they will know that 1st Gen 4runners...are a bitch to get the CD player out of! But I have a detachable face Kenwood and it has never been touched. I acually picked up two 8" Subs today, and when I get paid next week I will pick up a decent amp. See what crazy things I can come up with...and post them for ya'll!
Old 06-30-2003, 04:31 AM
Contributing Member

StoryR....
What part of Tacoma are you in?
I used to live off South 11th and Stevens. I know what you mean about the area. I had my GTI stripped right in my driveway while i was asleep:cry:

On my system...
I purchased a Sony deck that the face folds up and turns black.

I then purchased an amp and box sub at Walmart. I wanted something that sounded somewhat decent but wouldn't break me if it was stolen.

Then i have some 6" speakers in the back near the doors.

It does sound real decent. I'm happy with it.
Old 06-30-2003, 06:26 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've got 6x9's in place of the factory speakers in the rear - just made up my own bracket and drilled some more holes in the panel. You could proabably make a decent box if you cut through the panel and enclosed the area framed by the roll-bar. I don't have any suggestions for up front, there's just not enough room to work with. Makes it tough to put an amp up front too.
Old 06-30-2003, 10:29 AM

I live on North Yakima and 7th, a nice neighborhood, but just bad things happen! Next weekend, I am going to take the hard top off, and see what I can do. Maybe find some cheap dynomat lining and find someway to fit 8's back there that are not too noticiable...thanks for all your help guys!
Old 06-30-2003, 11:44 AM
Contributing Member

This is what I'm doing, Just have to put mounting brackets on the boxes and bolt to the bar. Will have a write up when it's done...

Old 06-30-2003, 12:08 PM

Now I really like your idea, the box built inside the gap...I was also looking around on the net, and wondered if I would give this a shot
Kenwood Powered Subwoofer
I found it on ebay for only $180...which is the price range I was checking out for amps.
Old 06-30-2003, 12:31 PM

Wow if I was doing the Sub over again and didn't love the sound fron the JL box I have I would build a box like that!
Old 06-30-2003, 01:20 PM

If you take the inside panel off your doors you will see that you could drop larger speakers in where the little map pockets are. Your right though that you would have to put in some dynomat and also cover the back of the speakers with something becuase all the water that hits your window goes right down inside and out the bottom.

I had to open mine up when part of my window track fell off. There is a sheet of plastic behind that panel to keep it dry.

I think I would do what Todd did to his. Building the box is a good idea, but behind the rear panel is out of sight, out of mind for your sticky fingered neighbors. I built myself some brakets, but I wasn't bright enough to make them for 6x9s. When I get a new deck I think I will look into making a new set of brakets and putting in the 6x9s.

Let me know if you want a picture of the brakets I have right now.

Erich
Old 06-30-2003, 02:04 PM

StoryR- If your going the powered sub route, check out the Infinity Basslink. It has great numbers and Infinty is a great brand. Its not that much more, around $210.
heres a link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...&category=32822
Old 06-30-2003, 02:40 PM

Link doesn't work...and yes I have checked those out, however, I need to open the panel and measure the distance I have deep, cause the infinity is approx 10" deep. It's possible that it might be too big.
Old 06-30-2003, 06:24 PM

Wow, some good ideas here. I too have a first gen and always wondered about different speaker options. I would take some pics but don't get the runner back until tomorrow, gettin some rust removed before i slap on my flares.

i put 4" infinity separates up front, and infinity 6x9's in the back. I did what jabr did but not on that scale. Mine is just pretty much a board covered in maroon carpet (i have the maroon interior ) and attached it to the plastic wall. I put the amp underneath the drivers seat. bought a new alpine deck recently, and the system sounds pretty good Oh, I got the apline where you can adjust the angle of the face. I thought I would never use it, but have found that I like it angled out by one notch. Makes reaching the nobs much easier imho.

me likes what jabr is doing
Old 06-30-2003, 06:26 PM

jabr, can you post some pics of your gauges? I'm very curious about those