Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Another Meth addict thanks to Texas Ace!

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 04:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another Meth addict thanks to Texas Ace!

It has been a long time sense I visited this forum. I wanted to thank Texas_Ace for his YouTube video of the methanol water kit installed in his 4Runner.

I just installed my kit last weekend and it works GREAT. I went with the Devilsown universal kit and am using the 7GPH nozzle. I have it set to turn on at 2psi and it flat out rocks. I wish I had known how easy and reliable this kit was back when I was drag racing my 4Runner.. maybe I will have to take it to the track when it opens this spring.

My 98 SC 4Runner has 198K miles on it now... 188K of the miles with the supercharger installed.

I installed the 2.1 pulley with the meth kit and was able to remove all of the timing retard I had been running. I have the stock fuel pump with a kenne bell boost a pump and I can maintain proper AFR (11.2~11.8) with plenty of headroom.

This Friday I am having a Detroit Locker rear diffie installed and next week an ACT 6 puck clutch goes back in.

I look forward to a fun winter season driving my alcoholic SC 4Runner

Jeff B in MI
Old 10-26-2011, 04:45 PM

Sounds like fun.

Interesting thread title...and username for that matter.
Old 10-26-2011, 04:49 PM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Drugs are bad for you

You should be ashamed TA.

:wabbit2:
Old 10-27-2011, 04:13 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
Drugs are bad for you

You should be ashamed TA.

:wabbit2:
Oh how bad I feel lol.

Glad to know i have converted another. Ever since i tried my first kit a few years ago I don't think i will have a car without a methanol kit again, for sure not a boosted car. The difference is astonishing!

How much boost are you getting on your truck OP? Got headers? What mix of meth/water are you running?

I actually just made another video in my line of "methanol injection info series" yesterday. This one is a comparison of different nozzles.

Nothing amazing but i think it turned out pretty good, tried a few new tricks with camera work and editing. the slow mo shots at the end turned out pretty good I think:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPvL0NFzFTs

Also made a playlist with all my methanol injection videos here for anyone interested: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLAF17D5C3D939907D
Old 10-27-2011, 02:43 PM

Nice video on the nozzle spray patterns...

I am achieving 10psi dropping to 8 or so by redline.
Old 10-28-2011, 12:59 PM

I need to stay away from this forum, or make more money

You guys are killing me. I need to stay away from here, or start selling some stuff to raise some money for a meth kit.

Still trying to figure out my brake fix issue after converting to tundra 231s; new bigger MC/maybe a residual pressure valve I think. Then it's on to a Meth system, although I'll probably run it with the 7th still hooked up.
Josh
BTW-TA nice work on the new vids.
Old 10-28-2011, 02:55 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks, The truck feels so much nicer now that it has the new bypass valve installed. Get the expected ~11psi of boost as well instead of 9.x psi.
Old 10-28-2011, 02:58 PM

Bypass valve... please tell more!!

I am having a Detroit Locker installed today... and the ACT 6 puck goes back in in a couple of weeks.

Jeff

Originally Posted by Texas_Ace
Thanks, The truck feels so much nicer now that it has the new bypass valve installed. Get the expected ~11psi of boost as well instead of 9.x psi.
Old 10-28-2011, 03:10 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by TurboQueef
Bypass valve... please tell more!!

I am having a Detroit Locker installed today... and the ACT 6 puck goes back in in a couple of weeks.

Jeff
I have the 1st gen SC and I am not sure if it is normal or mine was a fluke but the by-pass valve was machines so that it have a 1-2mm gap on 1 side. Why i have no idea. I had a new plate made up that actualyl sealed so as to plug that boost leak and it had the expected results, about 1psi more boost and just feels better all around.
Old 10-28-2011, 03:15 PM

I have the 1st gen SC and I am not sure if it is normal or mine was a fluke but the by-pass valve was machines so that it have a 1-2mm gap on 1 side. Why i have no idea. I had a new plate made up that actualyl sealed so as to plug that boost leak and it had the expected results, about 1psi more boost and just feels better all around.
I understand.. will check mine... Thanks,

Jeff
Old 10-28-2011, 03:22 PM
Contributing Member

Your lucky having the manual as well, think i am starting to burn through 2nd gear on my truck with all this new power. It took the stock pulley fine but it seems a 2.0 + meth is too much for it.

Lesson learned. Anyone got a spare tranny laying around? or have a hook up on rebuilds lol
Old 10-28-2011, 03:26 PM

Your lucky having the manual as well, think i am starting to burn through 2nd gear on my truck with all this new power. It took the stock pulley fine but it seems a 2.0 + meth is too much for it.

Lesson learned. Anyone got a spare tranny laying around? or have a hook up on rebuilds lol
I was wondering how the auto was holding up.... The manual does very nice but the only clutch that holds up is the 6 puck... which is a little tricky to daily drive.
Old 10-28-2011, 03:30 PM
Contributing Member

I was wondering how the auto was holding up.... The manual does very nice but the only clutch that holds up is the 6 puck... which is a little tricky to daily drive.
I was surprised how well the auto held up actually. Took 2 years of abuse with the stock pulley making 225whp no problem.

The 2.0 and meth injection was just too much for it i guess. Wish i had had the money to do the valve body upgrade before.

Now I am going to talk to them and see what my options are. Can't afford a build. If i can just install the valve body and drive it will this tranny dies without hurting anything thats what i am going to do. Find another tranny in the mean time and swap it out next year.

They tell me with the right valve body the stock tranny can handle 500whp+. Don't see me making more then ~400whp so i should be fine.
Old 10-28-2011, 03:40 PM

Toyota/Lexus used the A340 behind a few v8 applications...definitely a stout unit.
Old 10-28-2011, 03:43 PM
Contributing Member

Thats what i hear, ideally i will find a cheap used tranny in good condition that i can just swap in.

I actually like the auto for our trucks and built properly it will actually be faster then a manual if i go turbo.
Old 10-28-2011, 03:49 PM

I was surprised how well the auto held up actually. Took 2 years of abuse with the stock pulley making 225whp no problem.

The 2.0 and meth injection was just too much for it i guess. Wish i had had the money to do the valve body upgrade before.

Now I am going to talk to them and see what my options are. Can't afford a build. If i can just install the valve body and drive it will this tranny dies without hurting anything thats what i am going to do. Find another tranny in the mean time and swap it out next year.

They tell me with the right valve body the stock tranny can handle 500whp+. Don't see me making more then ~400whp so i should be fine.
400 WHP would be a lot.. what are you getting now and how did you measure it, Dyno?

I perform all tuning on my summer car (05 STi) but find the options for doing this well on the 4Runner lacking. I wish there was a way to: Datalog key parameters in relation to a time stamp so I could use my road dyno software. I also wish there was a way to add timing especially up top.. I think we are lacking there.

Getting 400 whp would be a HUGE gain from where we are now I think. It would require some head work to get the air out quicker!

I am tempted to take my 4Runner to the track again to see how much the smaller pulley and meth has provided. If all goes well this winter I probably will take it this spring.
Old 10-28-2011, 04:08 PM
Contributing Member

400 WHP would be a lot.. what are you getting now and how did you measure it, Dyno?

I perform all tuning on my summer car (05 STi) but find the options for doing this well on the 4Runner lacking. I wish there was a way to: Datalog key parameters in relation to a time stamp so I could use my road dyno software. I also wish there was a way to add timing especially up top.. I think we are lacking there.

Getting 400 whp would be a HUGE gain from where we are now I think. It would require some head work to get the air out quicker!

I am tempted to take my 4Runner to the track again to see how much the smaller pulley and meth has provided. If all goes well this winter I probably will take it this spring.
Yeah, 400whp would be a lot of power but easily doable. The trick would be a properly built turbo setup, simple as that.

A 6266 or 6766 would spool great on our trucks with a nice manifold and would easily be able to make 400whp on pump gas. More actually but i hear the stock internals limits are around 400whp. Doubt you would even need headwork. Maybe an intake manifold.

Tuning wise I LOVE using my meth kit for tuning, so simple. Allows it to run a lot of timing as well, i see timing in the 20's even on the 2.0 pulley, thats more then stock NA! Being able to flash the ECU would make our lives 100x easier though.

Would anyone here be interesting in a properly built turbo setup? It would not be cheap but it would give you FAR more power then a TRD supercharger could dream of and spool would be very good as well.

Total for a kit out the door would be in the $3k-$4k range if i had to guess depending on if it was made in the USA or outsourced overseas (quality wise would still be very good).

I have a shop that would make a turbo kit for our trucks if there was enough interest. Otherwise i would have to pay for it all out of pocket and getting the first one custom made is not cheap lol.

It would be SUCH A BAD $%^ kit though.
Old 10-28-2011, 04:39 PM

Yeah, 400whp would be a lot of power but easily doable. The trick would be a properly built turbo setup, simple as that.

A 6266 or 6766 would spool great on our trucks with a nice manifold and would easily be able to make 400whp on pump gas. More actually but i hear the stock internals limits are around 400whp. Doubt you would even need headwork. Maybe an intake manifold.

Tuning wise I LOVE using my meth kit for tuning, so simple. Allows it to run a lot of timing as well, i see timing in the 20's even on the 2.0 pulley, thats more then stock NA! Being able to flash the ECU would make our lives 100x easier though.

Would anyone here be interesting in a properly built turbo setup? It would not be cheap but it would give you FAR more power then a TRD supercharger could dream of and spool would be very good as well.

Total for a kit out the door would be in the $3k-$4k range if i had to guess depending on if it was made in the USA or outsourced overseas (quality wise would still be very good).

I have a shop that would make a turbo kit for our trucks if there was enough interest. Otherwise i would have to pay for it all out of pocket and getting the first one custom made is not cheap lol.

It would be SUCH A BAD $%^ kit though.
I keep my major $ for the STi... the 4Runner is turning into a rust bucket underneath ;-(

Turbo power would be nice tho... and you could easly hit the 400 HP target. (my Turbo 4cyl STi is at 440+ AWHP at 24psi).

My concern would be the internals (rotating mass) holding up... does anyone know if the 3.4 has forged rods... or pistons? I doubt the stock parts would handle 400 HP but could be wrong.

Back in the day... there was a guy in Chicago who set up his 3.4 with a nice turbo... I lost contact with him but don't think he ever made it to the track or street for that matter.

Jeff
Old 10-28-2011, 05:17 PM
Contributing Member

I keep my major $ for the STi... the 4Runner is turning into a rust bucket underneath ;-(

Turbo power would be nice tho... and you could easly hit the 400 HP target. (my Turbo 4cyl STi is at 440+ AWHP at 24psi).

My concern would be the internals (rotating mass) holding up... does anyone know if the 3.4 has forged rods... or pistons? I doubt the stock parts would handle 400 HP but could be wrong.

Back in the day... there was a guy in Chicago who set up his 3.4 with a nice turbo... I lost contact with him but don't think he ever made it to the track or street for that matter.

Jeff
Yeah, i generally spend all my money on the MR2 but it is down for now so got to mess with something lol.

The pistons and crank are cast for sure, not sure about the rods but they are one of the weak links i know.

Got to remember that it is a V6 so 400hp puts as much stress per cylinder as ~270whp in a 4 banger. So it really not that much power when you think about it.

Also got to realize that the guys making 300whp on superchargers (and there are a few of them) are making over 400crank hp by the time you add in drivetrain loss and supercharger losses (~40hp+). They are also being a lot harder on the motor then a turbo.

There are a few guys running 2.0 pulleys and injecting 100-150 shots of nitrous on these motors without problems. That is easily over 400whp and most likely close to 500crank hp.

I think that with meth injection 400whp is an easy task with the right turbo.
Old 07-11-2012, 01:26 AM
Contributing Member

Man I wonder what a 2.1 Pulley will do for me? Have you guys looked into porting the supercharger? I'm trying to pass the 300whp mark = P.

For sure i'm going to need get new injectors. Still running on stockers..

Yeah, i generally spend all my money on the MR2 but it is down for now so got to mess with something lol.

The pistons and crank are cast for sure, not sure about the rods but they are one of the weak links i know.

Got to remember that it is a V6 so 400hp puts as much stress per cylinder as ~270whp in a 4 banger. So it really not that much power when you think about it.

Also got to realize that the guys making 300whp on superchargers (and there are a few of them) are making over 400crank hp by the time you add in drivetrain loss and supercharger losses (~40hp+). They are also being a lot harder on the motor then a turbo.

There are a few guys running 2.0 pulleys and injecting 100-150 shots of nitrous on these motors without problems. That is easily over 400whp and most likely close to 500crank hp.

I think that with meth injection 400whp is an easy task with the right turbo.

Quick Reply: Another Meth addict thanks to Texas Ace!