Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Am I Crazy?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2004, 02:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Am I Crazy? --22RE rebuild Qs

First off I just want to say hello, this is my first post on this site.
So here's the deal: I would really like to rebuild my 22re. I mainly want to do it so I can get inside and see what is going on in my engine. I don't know what everything is called and I don't know what parts of my engine are stock and what isn't. I figure this would be a great way to learn. I have never done this before. The most I have ever done besides changing my oil on my truck is putting a new starter in. I consider myself mechanically inclined and a quick learner. I was planning on ordering the 220 dollar rebuild kit from engnbldr.com. There is a possibility that the previous owner could have bored it out so I was going to wait till I have it all opened up to get the measurements I need to give to engnbldr. I know that the previous owner did not change the oil very often...I had it serviced awhile ago and they told me there is a lot of gunky build up inside. I've been changing the oil every 1000 miles to try and clear it out (as I was told to do by the mechanic). So I'd really like to get in there and give everything a good scrubbing (and maybe some paint?).
So here are my questions: What tools am I likely going to need besides sockets? What other costs should I expect other than the rebuild kit? I was considering putting in a higher performance camshaft while I'm in there. Is it worth it? Are these good camshafts from engnbldr:
270 Camshaft @ ..........$89.00
261C Cam @ ................$89.00
What is the difference between the two?
I have been looking around for answers to these questions but can't seem to find a good writeup on a 22re rebuild. I will probably think of some more questions later. Thanks for any advice you guys can give me. And by the way :

Last edited by IGotaQ; 05-11-2004 at 03:24 PM. Reason: bad title
Old 05-11-2004, 02:24 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by IGotaQ

270 Camshaft @ ..........$89.00
261C Cam @ ................$89.00
What is the difference between the two?
I have been looking around for answers to these questions but can't seem to find a good writeup on a 22re rebuild. I will probably think of some more questions later. Thanks for any advice you guys can give me. And by the way :
First of all, welcome to Yotatech, the friendliest place around as long as you stay out of the political and religious threads

Seriously though, the numbers on the cams are the duration. It simply means how long the cam holds the valve open for ___ degrees of the camshaft duration.

The top one would be better for engine's that make their power at higher RPM's. They really are not too different. I would lean toward the 261 for the all around weekend warrior/off-roader. You want all the TQ and HP you can get at a lower RPM if you plan on turning bigger tires and off-roading the rig.
Old 05-11-2004, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by <96 Runner>
The top one would be better for engine's that make their power at higher RPM's. They really are not too different. I would lean toward the 261 for the all around weekend warrior/off-roader. You want all the TQ and HP you can get at a lower RPM if you plan on turning bigger tires and off-roading the rig.
Thanks for clearing that up. Does anyone know what the number of degrees for an OEM 22re is? The 261 degrees cam will help my low end power then?
Also I realized that the title of this post is probably not good for attracting more people with rebuild knowlege. Is there anyway I can edit that? Thanks folks
Old 05-11-2004, 03:28 PM
Contributing Member

Just start another thread for the rebuild question, no biggee.

Stock duration:

Intake: 248
Exhaust: 280

You need to find out the "other" number of the above cams. Are they referring to intake or exhaust? There should be two numbers. Let us know.
Old 05-11-2004, 07:53 PM

Also plan on a bit of machining, maybe new oil pump, water pump, timing chain kit, I live in SLO county and did a rebuild about a year ago. I was really impressed with the machine work/shop of Power Performance in SLO. Mike really knows the short block part and the guy who does the heads is on it. Honest and very helpful If you need any help when you get into let me know. Before you buy a kit from a distance you might want out find out what they have avalible.
Cheers and Happy Wrenching
Welocome to yotatech!
Nathan