Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Aisin Manual Hubs

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2004, 12:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aisin Manual Hubs

Hello,

I was wondering what parts I might need to convert my 1994 Toyota Pickup with ADD front hubs, to the manual Aisin hubs I have been hearing about. I found a set at a junk yard, but I dont want to tear into it, and find out that I didnt get all of the parts that I needed to complete the conversion. I hear it is very easy to go from ADD to manual, but I thought I would ask here first. Thanks guys

Tyson
Old 08-18-2004, 12:08 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
from what ive heard you just need the hubs, they bolt right up
Old 08-18-2004, 12:20 PM

I know for pre 89 you need the spindle nut kit which is a 54 mm nut, a lock washer with bendy tabs to lock the nut in place, and then another 54 mm nut. These all go ontop of the wheel bearings.
Old 08-18-2004, 12:26 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Tyson94SR5
I was wondering what parts I might need to convert my 1994 Toyota Pickup with ADD front hubs, to the manual Aisin hubs I have been hearing about.
Sounds like you have all you need. The hubs...

The hardest part is rebuilding them to just make sure they are clean and that took me all but 90 minutes pokeing around at it. I could have done it in 30.

This link Will tell you all you need to do.
Old 08-18-2004, 01:02 PM

Yea there is a few things that will help you out.

Cone washers suck and if you are removing them bring a hammer or a brass punch and pound on the metal part right behind the hub body. Undo the 12mm nuts but keep them and the washers on the end of the stud so the cone washers dont shoot back at you.

Also you can test them to see if they need a complete rebuild right away. When they are in your hand and in the FREE position, the inner hub should spin freely from the outer hub but whne they are in LOCK they shoudl be locked togther.

Pretty simple
Good Luck and they are deffinetly worth it
Alex

PS I am selling some right now but shipping to alaska would be a blow
Old 08-18-2004, 03:35 PM
Contributing Member

make sure you get IFS hubs and not solid axle hubs, they look exactly the same except for the knob which turns. One is flat across the top, the other extends beyond the surface of the hub slightly. Problem is i cant remember which is which, and im not at home to look on my truck
Old 08-18-2004, 04:35 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by NCSU-4runner
make sure you get IFS hubs and not solid axle hubs, they look exactly the same except for the knob which turns. One is flat across the top, the other extends beyond the surface of the hub slightly. Problem is i cant remember which is which, and im not at home to look on my truck
the solid axle has a bigger stub shaft, my friend got ifs hubs from a friend for his '83, and they didn't fit for that reason
Old 08-18-2004, 04:49 PM

Conversion Kit or Not????

1994 Toyota Pickup SR5 4x4 5 speed ....Well I called around. One guy told me that I need a conversion kit for the ADD setup. Another guy was convinced that I dont need any conversion kit, he said all I have to do was bolt it on. I am wondering now. With the ADD setup, If I removed that plate and install the hubs without the conversion kit, would that do it?? They say I need the spindle bearing conversion kit??? Thanks for all the replies.
Old 08-18-2004, 05:20 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
No such kit needed.
I have my ADD still intact, and the Aisin hubs will bolt right on.

For an explosive view of the hubs, see this PDF file.
Old 08-18-2004, 07:16 PM

Yeah I have the ADD system too and wanted the Aisin hubs, so I just went to the junkyard and found 2 from an older 4Runner, cleaned them up. Unbolted the ADD hub, and bolted the "new" Aisin hubs right on. No conversion kit needed. They actually look pretty cool too. Very easy swap.
Old 08-19-2004, 05:11 AM
Banned

Arrow

One guy told me that I need a conversion kit for the ADD setup.
:pat: This guy is a idiot. You may call him back and tell him so.

Another guy was convinced that I dont need any conversion kit, he said all I have to do was bolt it on.
This guy knows what he is talking about. Call him back and tell him so. Spread warm fuzzies, you know!?

With the ADD setup, If I removed that plate and install the hubs without the conversion kit, would that do it??
You need the hubs and tools. That is all. Maybe a beer or two if your into that.
Old 08-19-2004, 08:40 AM

Time to Rebuild hubs...Thanks a bunch for the posts..

Alright, I made a few phone calls. Well So I have this pair of stock toyota hubs for my truck now. They wanted 100 bucks for the pair. Anyways I might as well rebuild them before I try them out right? I got the .pdf file that has been posted in this thread so I think I can get it alright. Cant wait to get them installed now. Thanks alot guys. Ill see how it goes...
Old 08-19-2004, 09:39 AM
Banned

They wanted 100 bucks for the pair.
Shop around... Toyota Parts Dude (search for him in here) will have them for less then that.
Old 08-19-2004, 12:57 PM
Contributing Member

yes or no, remove the add system?

Originally Posted by Corey
No such kit needed.
I have my ADD still intact, and the Aisin hubs will bolt right on.

For an explosive view of the hubs, see this PDF file.
hey corey

i think there is a write up on here somewhere regarding removing the complete add system and locking the shaft permanently. do i need to do that or can i bolt up the manual hubs leaving the add system intact? what would be the pros and cons of each set up? if i dont have to remove the add system and lock up the shaft, does it work like the old set up on my 86 runner where you just lock the hubs and shift the tc from inside? any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance.

lee
Old 08-19-2004, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by leebee
do i need to do that or can i bolt up the manual hubs leaving the add system intact?

lee

I bought those hubs from the salvage yard today. I need to get new gaskets thought, the mechanics there trashed the originals when they took the hub off. Anyways, I notice that the hubs are fairly tight ( hard to get from locked to free) . Will taking them apart and greasing it all up again make it any less tight? Anyways I get my question here is, what does the "rebuild" consist of? Just take apart and regrease all pieces? oh lee, I am going to just leave the rest of the ADD system on the truck. Should be ok. Just have to remember to get out and lock the hubs from now on Thanks for the replies everyone. Helped me out alot.
Old 08-19-2004, 05:32 PM
Contributing Member

This is a good thread. It talks about the parts you'll need to rebuild and grease them up.

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...t=aisin+gasket
Old 08-19-2004, 06:54 PM

I want to put a pair on mine too as soon as I can, so maybe I should pay attention to this thread... So they really are an easy install???
Old 08-19-2004, 07:30 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by leebee
hey corey

i think there is a write up on here somewhere regarding removing the complete add system and locking the shaft permanently. do i need to do that or can i bolt up the manual hubs leaving the add system intact? what would be the pros and cons of each set up? if i dont have to remove the add system and lock up the shaft, does it work like the old set up on my 86 runner where you just lock the hubs and shift the tc from inside? any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance.

lee
You do not need to do anything other than bolt on the manual hubs.
With the ADD left, what you have to do is lock in the hubs of course, then throw the 4WD lever into 4 low or 4 hi.
But...you have the best of both worlds.
You can leave the hubs locked in while driving to the off road course, or during crappy weather in the winter.

When you need 4WD, you can "shift on the fly" just like before, up to 50 MPH I think.

For the part #s for the gaskets, please see my personal website listed in my sig below.
Look in my mods section.

For install info, please read the Tech section here @ YotaTech.
Just follow the info.
Old 08-19-2004, 10:19 PM

I bought those hubs from the salvage yard today. I need to get new gaskets thought, the mechanics there trashed the originals when they took the hub off. Anyways, I notice that the hubs are fairly tight ( hard to get from locked to free) . Will taking them apart and greasing it all up again make it any less tight? Anyways I get my question here is, what does the "rebuild" consist of? Just take apart and regrease all pieces? oh lee, I am going to just leave the rest of the ADD system on the truck. Should be ok. Just have to remember to get out and lock the hubs from now on Thanks for the replies everyone. Helped me out alot.
A few things:
1) Maybe you should have removed them yourself so you coulda figured out how to take your old ones off, the gaskets woulda been good, and it woulda been cheaper.
2) You really dont need the cap gasket, if you are doing a lot of water just silicone it unless you are doing water than going in freezing temperatures (You are from Alaska right). The guy at Toyota told me that he has frozen hubs before when the water freezes and he poored a hot coffee on it and heard the little ball click to engage it.. Get the HUB BODY gasket though.
3) Take apart the switch and sand down the ring where it attaches to the middle part a little bit. This will smoothen up the turn, but dont loose the spring or ball when taking this apart.
4) You dont really need to do a full rebuild either, mainly an inspection. Make sure they engage correctly and check all the snap ring's you see. Also check the spring on the cap. These are what usually break. Than just put a nice layer of greese on everything else and they will work like a charm.
5) Paint em to make em look pretty.

This is kinda my process when I do them so give it a shot.

Good Luck,
Alex

P.S. - I still have some for sale for all looking.
Old 08-19-2004, 11:30 PM
Contributing Member

Once you have the hubs on, you can dissable the ADD permanently to elminate a possible falire of the ADD actuator system.

Quick Reply: Aisin Manual Hubs