Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Air filter question...

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2004, 03:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Air filter question...

I have been using a K&N air filter for ~1 year now & think it adds a bit of horsepower- perhaps my imagination, but that's ok. I noticed a new subtle sound this week coming from the air filter "area." The Toyota folks say K&N is fine, but they see a good bit of situations (especially Celicas) where the oil builds up & can clog some kind of butterfly that to replace could cost ~$200 (dealer price of course).

Well, I thought I'd put a dry filter in for a month or so just to see if it changes at all - I hate to take the K&N out but just temporary perhaps. I could have easily put too much oil on the first time or two that I cleaned it, until I learned how to apply it better - I know it's not rocket science.

Anyway, what are your thoughts on what is the best filter, & is this an issue with the K&N with the 4Runners? Thanks!
Old 06-12-2004, 03:21 PM

a lot of the guys on the board here don't like the K&N's and i think that is the reason why. most, if not all of the 3rd gen guys have amsoil rechargeable filters. nobody really makes performance filters for the 3.0 besides K&N. have you tried a search on here about the sound?
Old 06-12-2004, 03:36 PM
Contributing Member

I've heard a fast clicking sound coming from my airbox before. I was able to trace it down to the reed vavle. It doesn't seem to be a problem so I haven't messed with it. Is this what you are talking about?

Otherwise I would just clean the TB and see what that does. I have no idea what other butterfly they would be talking about.

Old 06-12-2004, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by AgRunner06
Otherwise I would just clean the TB and see what that does. I have no idea what other butterfly they would be talking about.

What he said ,just clean the throttle body its not hard.I cant see why toyota think it would need replacing.
Old 06-12-2004, 05:33 PM

I used to run a K&N filter but stopped after finding out how much dirt it let in. Also tried an Amsoil filter on a GF's Runner and wasn't really impressed w/ the quality of the filter. I only use stock Toy filters now and will run nothing else. The minute amount of HP a K&N might provide isn't worth the damage it might cause my engine IMHO.
Old 06-12-2004, 05:37 PM
Contributing Member

I just pulled my throttle body today and gave it a good scrub down. I also pulled my K&N filter and cleaned it and oiled it. I haven't had any problems with build up. I guess that's because I maintain my vehicle and don't just jam the filter in there and never clean the throttle body. I think everybody should clean there throttle bodies, it's only six bolts, 2 at the maf sensor and 4 at the intake on my 3.4. it probably takes me about 30 mintutes to pull it, clean it, and reinstall it. by pulling it I mean completely out and clean it on the bench. I wish I had taken pics then I could have done a writeup for you. sorry.
Old 06-12-2004, 05:43 PM
Contributing Member

check out this site, you can try and clean it like this yourself if you don't feel comfortable pulling it to give it a proper bath.

http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/mainte...throttle_body/
Old 06-12-2004, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by keisur
check out this site, you can try and clean it like this yourself if you don't feel comfortable pulling it to give it a proper bath.

http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/mainte...throttle_body/
Thats basicly the way i do it,I didnt relise it wasnt that hard to take it off,Please do a write up on so we can have the option.
Do you get a much better clean that way?
Old 06-12-2004, 10:34 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Maddog
Thats basicly the way i do it,I didnt relise it wasnt that hard to take it off,Please do a write up on so we can have the option.
Do you get a much better clean that way?
yea, it's cleaner because I could clean it from both the inlet and the outlet ends. I took some pics of it on the bench and the engine without the throttle body so maybe I'll try to ham up a writeup if I get some time. it's not that difficult to pull it completely. you just have to disconnect 4 tubes and two connectors and then the throttle and cruise control cables and then undo the 2 bolts and 2 nuts and it slides right off. then I used Gumout Throttle Body and Intake cleaner and a toothbrush.