Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Aftermarket front bumper

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2005, 02:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aftermarket front bumper

Ok so Ive seen like 3 or 4 4runners with this front valance on the street so I know you can buy them somewhere. Its the T2 Front Valance. Its the lil section under the front bumper, with the fog lamps. The normal toyota lower valance is plastic while I think this one is fiberglass. I need to know where I can buy them, please help!!!

Old 01-05-2005, 02:47 PM

You mean something like Jason B has? I am not sure where he got that. You out there Jason?

Last edited by 4Runner4Christ; 01-05-2005 at 02:51 PM.
Old 01-05-2005, 02:48 PM
Contributing Member

I've seen those in the performance products catalog. performanceproducts.com
Old 01-05-2005, 02:48 PM

www.performanceproducts.com

P.S. Look at the plates in the pic you posted.
Old 01-05-2005, 02:52 PM

Ok guys you didnt have to point out the stupidity....Thanks alot Vato Loco!
Old 01-05-2005, 02:55 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Vato Loco
www.performanceproducts.com

P.S. Look at the plates in the pic you posted.
Yes, that is where you can get it.

You have to buy the special Hella lights ($109) to fit the Spoiler ($250). They are unique to that unit, and have special brackets that correspond with the spoiler. You HAVE to use those lights.

It comes painted either flat black, or grey. It is made of fiberglass and isn't too heavy. You could use the factory fog wiring if you already have the fog lights.

The lights for the spoiler are actually highbeam headlights out of German VW Passats. They are "driving lights", not fog lights. They are made to be aimed 6 inches lower than your high beams. They are actually made to be used with your highbeams. If you aim them this way you will blind everyone if you want to use them with your low beams. I like to keep mine on with my lows, so I aimed them like fog lights. I aimed them really low to the ground, and they don't blind anyone. They ARE as bright or brighter than your current high beams. They are tricky to aim, do it at night in front of a garage door.

1) It cost me $150 to paint the spoiler from my body guy. I put the spoiler on myself with some help from Gadget. He helped me wire the lights. We put two relays in so I can use the driving lights on lows or highs. We tapped into the headlight wires under the dash because you can't do it at the headlights because Toyota uses a weird switching ground
system. It is a good idea to dry fit the spoiler before mounting it. This way you can be sure that the holes you drill will line up under the bumper.

2.) The cheapest way to paint it would be to have it painted like the rest of the body. This will give it a smooth finish, but also a very brittle finish. Thus it will easily chip and may even crack as fiberglass does have some contraction/expansion properties with temperature extremes. The next step will be to have flexible or elastic additives included. This is what is on your urethane cladding and trim. It doesn't crack and is more chip resistant, but not quite as smooth a finish. The expensive, but most durable way to go is stone/rock guard. This is how mine was done. It will or might have an orange peel finish when done.

In my opinion, you should use the rock guard coating. My spoiler was sanded down and reprimed with black stoneguard front and back. For a better finish, I bet they will sand it a bit and reprime. There is a total of 3 coats of paint, and 3 clear coats. The more clear you put on helps keep the spoiler from looking as ruff. Overall it looks great an actually came out really smooth.
I put the spoiler on myself with some help from Gadget. His truck is on my site. He helped me wire the lights. We put two relays in so I can use the driving light on lows or highs. We tapped into the headlight wires under the dash because you can't do it at the headlights because Toyota uses a weird switching ground system. It is a good idea to dry fit the spoiler before mounting it. This way you can be sure that the holes you drill will line up under the bumper.

3) If you don't have the factory fogs you will have to do the wiring. To hook it up you can tap into the wires as they leave the steering column to enter the main wiring harness. Just run a new wire between whichever system you select (dim or bright, or both which I did, this requires an extra relay, Gadget did it for me!) and the switch for the driving lights. I don't know what happens to the wires as they route out to the headlights. They pass through some kind of strange relay. Gadget has the complete wiring diagram.
He is quite handy with things that are mechanical and electrical, but he couldn't figure it out. He even asked a couple of Toyota mechanics and all they would say is that is unique to Toyotas. You can use a circuit tester to confirm the bright headlight wire or the low headlight wire and splice the driving light switch into it. When you take the lower dash panel off look for three red wires on the left side of the steering column. In mine, the colors do match the ones at the headlights, but I don't know if this will hold true for every model year, Make sure you test the wires with a circuit tester before splicing so you know you have the correct lead.

4) If you want your on/off switch to look OEM, you have two choices. The very expensive, but very nice switch from Performance Products ($40), or the much cheaper OEM switch for the stock fog lights for '96-'98 4Runners. I have the cheaper one and I like it. I didn't want to mail order it and not like it. It lights up orange and you can get it from your Toyota dealer for $10!! The part number is 00550-35963.

Plan on spending around $500 total for the spoiler, lights, and paint to do it right.

Hope this helps,

Last edited by Jason B; 01-05-2005 at 02:58 PM.
Old 01-05-2005, 02:55 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by phatride4ever
Ok guys you didnt have to point out the stupidity....Thanks alot Vato Loco!
It's okay we all tend to miss the obvious from time to time, why in the world would we want things to be that easy anyways, struggle builds character.