Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners
Old 03-30-2016, 09:42 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Toyota Tacoma Brake Guides
Print Wikipost

ABS light on/off 03 Tacoma

Old 05-01-2012, 03:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ABS light on/off 03 Tacoma

Hey guys,

Recently my ABS light has been coming on and it seems to be pretty random. Sometimes it stays on right at start up and others it will just pop on while driving down the road. And other times it will not come on at start up and will remain off for several trips. I know that the ABS is disabled when the light is on and I kind of like that while out wheeling

My question is any ideas or similar experience with this, or what could be the culprit/problem ?

Thanks for any help as the search didn't seem to answer my ?
Old 05-01-2012, 04:14 PM

i have had a bunch of trouble with my ABS. i just started working on it at school. and as it sits right now, i'm having the same issue as you. there will be pending codes, so you'll need to pull codes so you know what your up against. pop your hood, and find the Diagnostic port (it should be on the side of the intake plentum, or supercharger in your case). take a wire, or a paperclip, and short Terminals E1 and TC together (pin location is on the backside of the diagnostic cover). turn your ignition on, and see how many times your ABS light flashes. your cruise control light and airbaglight will be blinking. the light will flash a certain amount of times, anywhere between 1 and 5 times, then pause for a second and a half, then flash again, anywhere between 1 and 9 times.

EX: the light will go "blink, blink,blink, pause for 1.5 sec. then blink, blink." thats code 32

if it pauses for 4 seconds than starts the same code, then that is your only code.

PM Me if you have any questions
Old 08-05-2012, 01:14 PM

What if there is no blink on the ABS?

Originally Posted by 98_3RZ
i have had a bunch of trouble with my ABS. i just started working on it at school. and as it sits right now, i'm having the same issue as you. there will be pending codes, so you'll need to pull codes so you know what your up against. pop your hood, and find the Diagnostic port (it should be on the side of the intake plentum, or supercharger in your case). take a wire, or a paperclip, and short Terminals E1 and TC together (pin location is on the backside of the diagnostic cover). turn your ignition on, and see how many times your ABS light flashes. your cruise control light and airbaglight will be blinking. the light will flash a certain amount of times, anywhere between 1 and 5 times, then pause for a second and a half, then flash again, anywhere between 1 and 9 times.

EX: the light will go "blink, blink,blink, pause for 1.5 sec. then blink, blink." thats code 32

if it pauses for 4 seconds than starts the same code, then that is your only code.

PM Me if you have any questions

take a wire, or a paperclip, and short Terminals E1 and TC together (pin location is on the backside of the diagnostic cover). turn your ignition on, and see how many times your ABS light flashes. your cruise control light and airbaglight will be blinking. the light will flash a certain amount of times...

Recently had ABS go ON, and it stays ON continuously. Did the paperclip thing multiple times and noticed cruise & airbag lights flashing, but no flash codes on the ABS indicator whatsoever.

Any ideas on what that means???
Old 08-06-2012, 04:10 PM

probably should have said something about this, this is also the way to pull codes for the cruise control and the airbag systems. if no codes are detected, the lights will just blink without pausing. now if the ABS light is on solid, this is the code for ABS ECU malfunction, it will throw this code if the ABS ECU eats it, but it will also stay solid if the ECU is not detected (i.e. unplugged) or has no power.