Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

ABS equipped elocker into non ABS 4runner? Complete housing swap.

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 09:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ABS equipped elocker into non ABS 4runner? Complete housing swap.

First off, this is my first post. I've owned my 97 limited for 8 years, great truck. I've put over 200,000 miles on it myself, sitting at about 275K right now. Been referring to this forum for a long time, no good reason why I'm just now becoming a member.

To get to the point of this post... the rear end is finally giving out. I drive the truck hard and it has NEVER let me down. It has been having an increasing slippage problem from the diff for a couple years now, but last night it started clanking and popping.

To be completely honest, I'm not 100% sure what the problem is but the sound is coming from the very front of the 3rd member. I'm guessing it's the pinion. There has been small metal shavings that I can see from the bolt that comes out on the back for at least a year. Always planned on just replacing with an elocker anyway so I just kept driving.

Of course I start a new job in a week. The local salvage yard has a complete rear axle with an elocker, but it is ABS equipped and my truck is not. I have searched and found info on swapping non abs rears into abs equipped trucks, or deleting the abs, but not for the situation I'm facing.

I'm going down to the yard to look at the axle tomorrow and I really hope its a misprint and that it really is a non ABS unit.

The question is... if it is ABS equipped, is there anyway to make it work in my non ABS truck? can I just plug the hole in the top of the third and be done with it or is there some other issues?

Thank you so much for the help in advance!
Old 09-14-2011, 10:04 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Smile

If your truck does not have the ABS valve .This valve does all the thinking in your braking

What is the problem the wheel cylinders just get hooked into your brake lines and the brakes work like normal .

It is putting a non ABS housing in a vehicle with ABS that can be interesting
Old 09-14-2011, 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by wyoming9
If your truck does not have the ABS valve .This valve does all the thinking in your braking

What is the problem the wheel cylinders just get hooked into your brake lines and the brakes work like normal .

It is putting a non ABS housing in a vehicle with ABS that can be interesting

Thanks for the response.

I kinda hoped it would just be a plug the hole and go sort of thing. It's basically just a speed sensor with a little gear that plugs into the hole on the top of the 3rd right?

Any idea if the brakes are proportioned slightly different between ABS and non ABS?
Old 09-14-2011, 11:23 PM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
The abs sensors are at the wheel. Not on the 3rd.
You shouldn't have any issues. Just leave the unplugged sensors in the hole and run it.

Old 09-14-2011, 11:32 PM

So, after a many hours of searching the internet I think I've found something. Seems like people add the newer (3rd gen) v6 elocker to the older gen trucks, and many are ABS equipped but their trucks are not. So they just plug the three ABS ports with freeze plugs. Can anyone confirm this?
Old 09-14-2011, 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by scuba
The abs sensors are at the wheel. Not on the 3rd.
You shouldn't have any issues. Just leave the unplugged sensors in the hole and run it.

Thanks. Yeah I'm hoping the sensors are still in there so I don't have to find plugs. This is the solution I found for the port on the top of the 3rd.
ABS equipped elocker into non ABS 4runner? Complete housing swap.-diff-plug.jpg

Also found some part #'s for the port covers on the end of the housing...
Toyota 42186-35010 (X2) ABS Port Covers
Old 09-16-2011, 04:25 PM

So, I went down to the salvage yard and they didn't want to let me look at it until I had paid for it. Red flag! I told told them I wanted to make sure the condition was ok and that it had all the parts. The guy pulling the part comes back and says it doesn't have the electric motor, this after I asked the guy on the phone if it was complete? I made it a point to ask about each major part before I drove an hour to pick it up with the back end off my truck about to grenade. So now I am kinda stuck. No local yards have one, and I don't really want to chance ordering one from another state only to have it damaged or incomplete.

Any suggestions would be very helpful, thanks.
Old 09-17-2011, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by GREMLINintheMACHINE
So, I went down to the salvage yard and they didn't want to let me look at it until I had paid for it. Red flag! I told told them I wanted to make sure the condition was ok and that it had all the parts. The guy pulling the part comes back and says it doesn't have the electric motor, this after I asked the guy on the phone if it was complete? I made it a point to ask about each major part before I drove an hour to pick it up with the back end off my truck about to grenade. So now I am kinda stuck. No local yards have one, and I don't really want to chance ordering one from another state only to have it damaged or incomplete.

Any suggestions would be very helpful, thanks.
That sucks. Good thing you stood your ground on not giving him the money until you knew it was for real.

I bought a whole axle assembly off a guy over on T4r.org. I see a decent number of theses things go for sale there and here, like when someone is parting out a vehicle. It turned out great for me, and the guy I got it from was great about making me feel confident in it (he gave me his paypal, and ebay names so that I could see the years of history there, to know he wasn't just a grifter, plus he had a long history on that forum). I got a craigslist rideshare to transport it from Florida to Boston. It worked out great for me, but I felt pretty fortunate in that as well.

Since you have an immediate need, go for any axle assembly you can get, locker or no.

BTW, it sounds like it is just your diff that is gone. If your housing isn't super rusted, then you could just replace the diff. That can be done pretty cheap sometimes.
Old 09-18-2011, 12:45 AM

Originally Posted by Nelsonmd
That sucks. Good thing you stood your ground on not giving him the money until you knew it was for real.

I bought a whole axle assembly off a guy over on T4r.org. I see a decent number of theses things go for sale there and here, like when someone is parting out a vehicle. It turned out great for me, and the guy I got it from was great about making me feel confident in it (he gave me his paypal, and ebay names so that I could see the years of history there, to know he wasn't just a grifter, plus he had a long history on that forum). I got a craigslist rideshare to transport it from Florida to Boston. It worked out great for me, but I felt pretty fortunate in that as well.

Since you have an immediate need, go for any axle assembly you can get, locker or no.

BTW, it sounds like it is just your diff that is gone. If your housing isn't super rusted, then you could just replace the diff. That can be done pretty cheap sometimes.
Yep, did kinda suck. If you don't stand for something you'll fall for anything. Glad to hear everything worked out so well for you though. By the way, what is a CL rideshare?

If I can't find a complete Elocker, I'll just order a pre-assembled third with either an ARB or a Detroit. Don't know any local shop I trust to set up the gears.

My housing has zero problems or rust, plus pretty fresh seals and brakes. Just wanted to switch over an entire housing so it would be faster, then re-gear later when I had time. It needs a re-gear for sure anyway so a new 3rd might be better. Really fancied the elocker though, with the ability to manually lock if needed. Most likely do the Detroit locker, as it is tough and functional. Trying to find the best deal at the moment. Any suggestions are appreciated.
Old 09-18-2011, 06:20 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
im pretty sure a rideshare is a flat bed owner thats in an area and is going to another area that has plenty of room puts up an add to take smaller stuff to make the ride worth it..and yeah you can get thirds for about 50 bucks..depending, so if you cant find an E locker housing right away you can maybe spare the 50 bucks to keep ya going..