Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

About a million and three questions (loooong)....

Old 08-20-2004, 10:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
About a million and three questions (loooong)....

This site is absolutely incredible. There is an imense wealth of knowledge that is easily accessible through searching... so thanks guys for providing such good information.

My basic plan of attack for my 98 4runner is as follows:
-Get it lifted a few inches with a quality lift
-Get it on a slightly larger tire
-Work the drivetrain to function properly with the setup.

My basic offroading needs are in the Oceano dunes, traveling through woops and such at a preferred speed of over 15 mph. In the future, I plan on running some mountain trails, but that will be much less frequent than duning.

I've read a lot and have determined that, for what I want to do with this truck, I need to go with a uniball a-arm setup of some sort with a quality coilover. I've looked at both camburg and total chaos, and both seem to be rather reputable. I also like that donahoe has a setup designed to work with the total chaos a-arms. My question is, for those of you with this setup, who has the upper arm, and who has the upper and lower arms? I realize that with the combination, the wheels will be pushed out and will require fiberglass fenders to accomodate the wheel travel. With the upper/lower setup, how are the steering and drive axles affected? What further modifications will be required?

Another concern I have with the coilovers is the heim joints. I have had a 3 link suspension in the past with heim jointed ends, and under normal road conditions, these... high dollar mind you... heims still failed. I don't mind cleaning and lubing once a month but there is no way I'm doing it weekly. How have your heim joints held up? Since I'm dealing with the sand are heim joint covers a viable option?

In the rear I am planning on running either a Downey or OME setup with either Billsteins or OME shocks. I've heard very good things about both these companies, and will also be implementing a panhard drop bracket. Any comments or input on this is more than welcome.

I plan on running a 33" tire eventually. Due to budgeting and good tires, chances are I will first tackle the suspension and leave my 265 Duelers on there and get the 33's and possibly a new wheel when necessary. At that time, I plan on putting in 4.56's. For those running 4.56's or 4.88's, do you feel that it is better to just go ahead with the 4.88's or will I be OK with the 4.56's?

I, unfortunately, don't have the TRD s/c :cry:, and while the 3.4 is decent in power, it still lags a bit. What kind of engine modifications have the best results?

I'm on a budget, but I've got nothing but time on my side. I bought a Toyota because they last forever. So if it takes me a few years to get all this done, no worries... because I have at least 15 years of fun left in it.

All input is appreciated.

Steve
Old 08-20-2004, 10:52 AM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Pismoboy over on ttora just runs sway away coilovers with the stock front suspension on his tacoma and he's pretty much the pismo dunes guru. Try getting a hold of him.
Old 08-20-2004, 10:56 AM
Contributing Member

In the power dept, I recommend:

1. The deckplate mod first (see the tech section)

2. A custom exhaust suited to your preferred sound level and needs.

3. ISR mod (removes the silencers to the intake, loud at WOT with the deckplate open, improves throttle response)

4. Gearing (as you mentioned)

5. Headers: Good for midrange to redline power gains, a total pain to install and costly but cool to have.

That is where I would begin and as you can see from my sig, that is what I did.
Old 08-20-2004, 01:56 PM

Thanks for yalls input. I just read over the tech articles (Friday at work means you don't work right??? ) and will probably tackle the deckplate mod and ISR mod this weekend or next. I also thought about tossing on coil overs under the stock control arms, but I'm kinda liking the thought of replacing the whole setup. Where's the best place to order parts like these online? And pardon my noobieness but what's ttora?
Old 08-20-2004, 02:02 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by blank
but what's ttora?
ttora