Browse all: Toyota 4Runner 4WD - Four Wheel Drive Guides

Print Wikipost

99 toyota 4runner transfer case problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 09:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
99 toyota 4runner transfer case problem

ok im new to this forum so hello from Kentucky my name is chris

i have a 99 toyota 4runner i love this vehicle shes my baby i had a new/used t case put in and when i got it back it worked perfect well about a month later i get stuck and went to put it in 4wd and no light on the dash and i can hear it engage put it wont out into full 4wd motion whats going on plz help
Old 06-13-2012, 09:20 PM

transfer case problem need help

ok im new to this forum so hello from Kentucky my name is chris

i have a 99 toyota 4runner i love this vehicle shes my baby i had a new/used t case put in and when i got it back it worked perfect well about a month later i get stuck and went to put it in 4wd and no light on the dash and i can hear it engage put it wont out into full 4wd motion whats going on plz help
Old 06-13-2012, 11:26 PM

Welcome Chris, I'm a little confused by your wording on your post but one thing I can maybe help with is the light. I can only speak from my experience on my 89 22re 5 speed but I did just have to drop everything last week to replace my clutch so this is rather fresh in my mind. Depending on your T-Case, it has a threaded plug in on the right hand side midway or so up the T-Case that I believe is what sends the signal to the dash light. Are you saying that it does engage into 4wd but it's not delivering power to the wheels? Do you have manual locking hubs or automatic ones? If you have manual hubs did you lock them? Try not to stress to much right now, I know it tough, but there's a lot of great Yota minds on here and we'll help work this out.
Steve.

Last edited by DixieThunder; 06-13-2012 at 11:29 PM.
Old 06-14-2012, 12:42 AM

i have auto hubs and that exactly what im saying it trys to engage but the front end doesn't do anything.. thanks alot all the help will be appreciated
Old 06-14-2012, 12:51 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
merged your multiple threads.
service manual link:
http://ncttora.com/fsm/index.html
Old 06-14-2012, 02:03 AM

Someone else will have to correct me if I am wrong, which is very easily possible because I don't know much about your generation of 4Runner. But I believe that the Auto system is run, in part, by vacuum lines. I have heard of these lines going down on people and them not being able to get the 4wd system disengaged but I could see the possibility of it not allowing the system to engage properly. But I also don't know much about those systems like I said. You are able to put the 4wd stick into the locations for it to go into 4hi/lo correct? It just won't engage the axle?
Old 06-14-2012, 06:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here is a a clip of a post I wrote on another board. I have a '99 4Runner so I know the vacuum ADD system well.

Don't guess at it, troubleshoot! Start at the twin VSV's (Vacuum Switching Valves) on the driver fender wall. There are two long vacuum hoses that come up from the diff, one goes to each VSV. Check to see that one of the two hose nipples on the VSV’s has vacuum (engine running, 4WD NOT engaged. If no vacuum either side, check the check valve going to the intake manifold and look for loose hoses or a hole in the reservoir. If there is vacuum going to one hose, then put it in 4WD. See if the vacuum switches to the other hose. If it does, and no 4WD, problem is the diff actuator or the line to the diff. If it does not, then just switch the hoses and you should go into 4WD. This confirms diff is okay.

OK, switch them back. Then use a test light to see if electrical signal from the TC also switches sides of the VSV. If it does not, problem is the switch on the TC. If it does, but the vacuum does not, the problem is the VSV itself.

I start troubleshooting at the VSV's because you can figure out where the trouble is without having to climb under the truck.
You actually won't get much out of the online FSM because the 3rd Gen 4Runner version that is up is for a 2002 and that has an all-electric ADD actuator. The vacuum system is a different beast. A 2G manual or the Taco/T-100 manuals might have something similar--I haven't looked because I have the paper FSM for the '99 4Runner. You might find only manual hubs. Our poor vacuum systems didn't get much love from the on-line FSM gods.

Last edited by TheDurk; 06-14-2012 at 07:12 AM.
Old 06-14-2012, 07:06 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by 700xxchris
i have auto hubs and that exactly what im saying it trys to engage but the front end doesn't do anything.. thanks alot all the help will be appreciated
You have ADD which is Automatic Differential Disconnect

NOT

Auto Hubs. You actually have drive flanges.

:wabbit2:
Old 06-14-2012, 10:31 AM

Thanks for the help here guys! I was run out of helpful suggestions on where to proceed from this point forward. Now I sit and watch what it takes for him to fix the problem. Happy wrenching Chris
Old 06-14-2012, 03:56 PM

thanks guys so much im gonna tear into it this weekend
Old 06-15-2012, 04:50 PM

does anyone have a pic of a 99 sr5 under the hood to show were these hoses are im a lil dumb founded
Old 06-17-2012, 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by 700xxchris
does anyone have a pic of a 99 sr5 under the hood to show were these hoses are im a lil dumb founded

Battery at right. Hoses emerge from protective tube and connect to top of twin VSV just to right of Oil Fill Cap. Check-valve on vac line incoming from manifold at top center. Reservoir is inside fender and can't be seen. Pic of my '99 SR5.

Last edited by TheDurk; 06-17-2012 at 03:16 PM.
Old 06-17-2012, 05:39 PM

thanks very much this is helpful
Old 11-13-2014, 06:10 AM

having a similar problem to the OP. 4wd won't engage, wanna check the VSV tubes. Looking at the pic posted, I wanna follow the steps mentioned by removing the ADD tubes one at a time and checking for vacuum?
Old 11-13-2014, 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by dglinsmann
having a similar problem to the OP. 4wd won't engage, wanna check the VSV tubes. Looking at the pic posted, I wanna follow the steps mentioned by removing the ADD tubes one at a time and checking for vacuum?
So what's the question? Sorry.
Old 11-13-2014, 07:04 AM

neither of my ADD tubes have pressure when switching between 2 and 4; the line for the check looks ok and has pressure. Not sure what to check next. :-/
Old 11-13-2014, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by TheDurk
So what's the question? Sorry.
Sorry; just wanted to make sure I was checking the correct lines as I'm pretty inexperienced with car repair.

Edit: Realized I left some of my information out: I'm on a '97 SR5; manual 4wd, no switch.

Last edited by dglinsmann; 11-13-2014 at 07:11 AM.
Old 11-13-2014, 08:36 AM

neither of my ADD tubes have pressure when switching between 2 and 4; the line for the check looks ok and has pressure. Not sure what to check next. :-/
By pressure, you mean vacuum? You don't actually check the tube, you check the nipple the tube connects to. When you say 'line for the check' do you mean before or after the check valve? You need vacuum after the check so it reaches the two lines to the VSV's. If it doesn't, check may be installed backwards. You wouldn't be the first.

Did you check the 4wd fuse in the panel by driver's knee? (First suspect if no vacuum on both VSV's.) Check with a meter or swap with a known good fuse--DON'T tell me it 'looks good'.

If fuse is good, next step is to use a test light or meter to check if a 12V+ signal is going to the plugs on the VSV's. Check all four pins (two on each plug) in 2wd and 4wd. Also check in 4L.

Also confirm that front propeller shaft locks up when J-shift is in 4wd--I gather you have the J-shift. It should turn free by hand in 2wd.

You have the same setup I do--this should be easy. That multi-mode 4wd computer is a bear.

Last edited by TheDurk; 11-13-2014 at 08:46 AM.
Old 11-13-2014, 12:27 PM

Thanks for putting up with me, appreciate it. You sir, are a saint. It was an issue with neither of the nipples having vacuum.

Hopped in to check the fuse [mind you, 4wd had been working the last 6 months of intermittent usage], looked at it and it was fine [I know, I know], but then I double-checked the fuse map in the owner's manual.

Some joker had swapped in a 15a fuse instead of the 20a.

I pulled the windshield wiper 20a fuse, and it worked just fine. Going to pick up a new 20a today.

Thanks so much for the help! An easy troubleshoot is the best kind!

Originally Posted by TheDurk
By pressure, you mean vacuum? You don't actually check the tube, you check the nipple the tube connects to. When you say 'line for the check' do you mean before or after the check valve? You need vacuum after the check so it reaches the two lines to the VSV's. If it doesn't, check may be installed backwards. You wouldn't be the first.

Did you check the 4wd fuse in the panel by driver's knee? (First suspect if no vacuum on both VSV's.) Check with a meter or swap with a known good fuse--DON'T tell me it 'looks good'.

If fuse is good, next step is to use a test light or meter to check if a 12V+ signal is going to the plugs on the VSV's. Check all four pins (two on each plug) in 2wd and 4wd. Also check in 4L.

Also confirm that front propeller shaft locks up when J-shift is in 4wd--I gather you have the J-shift. It should turn free by hand in 2wd.

You have the same setup I do--this should be easy. That multi-mode 4wd computer is a bear.
Old 11-13-2014, 06:25 PM

Thanks for putting up with me, appreciate it. You sir, are a saint. It was an issue with neither of the nipples having vacuum.

Hopped in to check the fuse [mind you, 4wd had been working the last 6 months of intermittent usage], looked at it and it was fine [I know, I know], but then I double-checked the fuse map in the owner's manual.

Some joker had swapped in a 15a fuse instead of the 20a.

I pulled the windshield wiper 20a fuse, and it worked just fine. Going to pick up a new 20a today.

Thanks so much for the help! An easy troubleshoot is the best kind!
Glad it's fixed. "The fuse is fine" is the most common lie in these electric help threads. So I start out aggressive. You're welcome.

Quick Reply: 99 toyota 4runner transfer case problem