Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

'98 Grill Removal

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2007, 06:01 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
'98 Grill Removal

Hey everyone, This is gonna sound really "rookie" but I need some help. I need to pull my '98 4runner grill for the sensor install and install of my Pontiac driving lights and for the life of me, I can't figure out how to release the upper clips for the grille, GRRRRRRRR!! There are a couple of the lower ones that you can just slip a small flat blade screwdriver in and pop the clips like I did on my '95 but I can't seem to figure out the uppers so I sure as heck don't want to bust them. Anyone have a easy way to do this? I am still trying to find a FSM for my '98 otherwise I wouldn't bother with such a question. Thanks.
Old 09-20-2007, 06:16 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
same way you removed the others..
Old 09-20-2007, 06:26 AM

The clips at the top of the grill do not have the same access as the lower ones which have the frontal access to inset a small blade screwdriver. so you can't remove them the same way as the lower ones. Thats why I asked if there was another way of removing them
Old 09-20-2007, 06:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
They are all the same clips, I think the tops just look different. Use a screwdriver, it'll pop right off
Old 09-20-2007, 07:26 AM

I may be missing something here, but the lower ones you can access from the front of the grill, they have a little tang you can push down and then pull it forward, the upper ones you can't get to from the front, how are you supposed to release a tang that isn't there to see?
Old 09-20-2007, 07:42 AM
Contributing Member

you're at the crux of the job. I haven't pulled my grille for a few years but both your statement, and the others are true. The clips are the same! same orientation. Question is how to get at them. I think once you're done you'll have that moment of "oh, that was easy". But figuring out how to get there is frustrating.

Good luck. I've got to pull my grille today and will post the secret if I can figure it out.
Old 09-20-2007, 07:43 AM

The clips are right on top, what are you talking about?
Old 09-20-2007, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by guapo83
The clips are right on top, what are you talking about?
Let me try to explain this again for you ... the lower clips can be seen if you squat down and look directly at the front of the grille ... with me so far? You can see the little tang that you must press on to release the clip. Just put the screw driver in the FRONT of the clip and presto! I'm rock solid on those. Now raise yourself up about 6 inches and look directly forward at the location of the top clips. .. Oh, where is the clip?? All I can see is chrome of the upper portion of the grille. Now if this was a Gen 1, this would be the place where the same clips would be located mounted the same way for all the clips! So seeing that you CAN'T see the front of the clips, how does one release these said clips that you can not see the front of?

I know there must be a trick to releasing the top clips. Yes you can see them but only from the top and no tab I can discern that will release the clip and the grille. I tried to press down on the top of the visible portion of the clip just aft of the grille mount point and it will not release. There is no movement. I still can not see anything or how to insert anything to release that clip.

Last edited by Ritzy4Runner; 09-20-2007 at 09:27 AM.
Old 09-20-2007, 08:31 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dale, I'd have to look at mine again (as I've taken my grille off multiple times before), but AFAIR, the tabs just pop off like the bottom ones. Only real difference is that you may have to access them behind the chrome part. Although, your tabs could be broken too, and maybe that's why they are not coming out so easily. I know, it's tough to explain w/o any pictures, but good luck none the less!
Old 09-21-2007, 08:46 AM

I've taken the grille off many times and can probably take it off in 5 seconds. Here is how I do it

Standing in front of the grille, start at the top left corner tab:

1) Take your left hand and hold the left top corner...be ready to apply some pulling to that corner. Take your right index finger and by coming in from the right side, push down on the little tab that is semi-encased in the corner. (Yes, it can be reached from the side).
2) Repeat step (1) for the 2 top middle connections
3) Repeat step (1) for the right top corner (This is the mirror image of (1) )

Now work with the bottom of the grille:

4) Now with right hand apply light pulling force to the lower left corner. Use the left hand, push down on the tab (visible from front) and that corner should pop loose
5) Remove the lower center connection. One arm goes under the bumper to contact the tab. Pull down on this tab while applying a light pulling force to the center of the grille.
6) Repeat step (4) for the right lower connection (This is the mirror image of (1) )

Now the grille should come off. So that you don't loose your 7 clips, you can snap them all back into the grille section. When you are ready to put grille back on, just align the grille with the holes in the body, and snap into place.
Old 09-21-2007, 10:41 AM

Open the hood and look down behind the front of the grill. You will see the clips there. They pop off very easily!
Old 09-21-2007, 03:04 PM

I just stick my arm down in between the rad. support and release the clips with a little screwdriver?
Old 09-21-2007, 06:16 PM
Contributing Member

I took mine off yesterday and had some issues. So much so that 3 of the metal clips came off too. What I found was that some of my clips needed to be released from the bottom as well as top to come out cleanly. Based on everyone else who says tops only and its easy - I'm wonder if my prior removal mangled the clips enough that they require extra effort.
Old 09-26-2007, 07:49 AM

For those who responded and provided tips and tricks, I thank you! I Took several deep cleansing breathes (those lamaze classes do pay off!) Closed my eyes (wax on wax off) then opened them slowly smiled and just ripped it off the front end! No, just kidding LOL.

Actually I did what everyone suggested and some variations of each but what I did notice is that there are the same little tabs on the upper clips as are on the lower clips but they are under the post extentions that connect the grille to the clips they are somewhat U shaped so I didn't see the space to get to them before and it was just frustrating. Long story short, as was described I was able to just slip in from the right side of the upper clips and press the tabs down and they just released from the clips with a gentle pull. Did the same for the remaining lower clips and POP it just came right off, no broken clips no damaged tabs. Really feel a bit like a rookie after it came off so easy, but hey its always easy after you know how to do it! Soooooooooo, now on to the driving lights mod! Thanks everyone!!

Last edited by Ritzy4Runner; 09-26-2007 at 07:50 AM.