Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

98 4runner HIDZ WITH PICS!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 07:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RobD
Well, crap. I changed over from stock sealed beams to the Hella H4 conversion kit. While I've been really happy with the beam pattern and the ability to change just the bulb instead of the whole assembly (without pulling the park lights and grill, too), I have not been happy with the colour of light that I have. I would prefer something closer to the temperature given off by the HID conversion kits, but now that I've read this thread, I'm not sure at all what to do. I had planned on trying a kit. After all, given what else I've done to the truck, the money doesn't seem to be that bad for a brighter, whiter light.

Now I have no clue what to do...crap, crap, crappity, crap, crap.
I know what you should do... A projector retrofit!!!!

Here's a link of one on a '91 4Runner:

http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=16085
Old 01-21-2008, 02:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am looking at the Xenith Xenons HID kit from their website and I don't want to hear all your explanations why I shouldn't do this. All I need to know is which bulb to order for my 1998 4runner. Is it the H4 bulb size?
Old 01-21-2008, 09:41 PM

It's amazing how defensive people are of kits. They start defending themselves even before anyone says anything...
Old 01-21-2008, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by wa4x4
I am looking at the Xenith Xenons HID kit from their website and I don't want to hear all your explanations why I shouldn't do this. All I need to know is which bulb to order for my 1998 4runner. Is it the H4 bulb size?
Wow way to be an ass, and you're wanting us to help you out when your acting like that?
Old 01-22-2008, 01:56 AM

To assist you: should be an H4 bulb, yes.

But I have to add my two cents worth as well:

I'm not gonna resort to personal attacks: they seldom win friends or influence people.

But please read this thread start to finish (if you have not already) and perhaps check out retrofitsource or hidplanet websites so that you are aware of all the difference between HID kit vs retrofit so that you are in fact making an informed purchase.

I bought what I think is about as good as you can get of an HID kit (4300K, bi xenon shields.)

I personally am not happy with the results I achieved using a kit.

Yes it will put out more light than you currently have.

But beam pattern will suck compared to halogen bulb.

If I had to do it again, I would probably opt for some PIAA ultra-white bulbs and be content with that, as I know I wouldn't want to replace my 96-98 housings to the newer style just to do a retrofit on a truck that I will likely replace in the next year or so anyhow.

Hope this helps!
Old 01-22-2008, 08:37 PM

I apologize if I came off as rude, but I have to explain a little. I have a fairly good knowledge of HID's, retrofits, the good, the bad, and the ugly. I have an STi with HID's and projectors and like the cutoff line that a proper HID should have. But my 4runner is no sports car, it is no expensive car, it is my truck. I don't need a retrofit, it is not worth my time.

Three months ago I replaced my regular bulbs with new ones, hoping to get a little brighter lights. The new bulb has already burned out making driving my 4runner technically "riding dirty" and I want new headlights and was looking around at the HID options vs. the Sylvania Silverstars which are just a coated bulb that produce LESS light than the uncoated alternative. HID's will be brighter, they will light more of the trail at night. I had a lot of trouble when it snowed my lights weren't bright enough to clearly see the conditions at night. My 4runner is worth probably less than 5k in the current condition, why would I spend all the money on BMW, Acura, or Mercedes projectors for this car at a cost of nearly 1,000 bucks?

I am hoping with the addition of some HID's and 2 round 6" Hella fog lights on the front bumper will really help my snowy visibility and help me navigate a lot of our windy and crappy roads that we have around here.
Old 01-22-2008, 09:24 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 07sbock
Also please, I have herd plenty of you grumbling and complaing about these kits so I would rather not hear it. Tell me what you think!

* I love how wide the beam is too! It makes so much of a difference. Plus I havent gotten any pissed off drivers flashing their high beams at me.
^^^
Dude, not to sound like a jerk, but:

Why would you post something like this? You basically said: "I read all the reasons why I shouldn't do this, and thought 'screw it' and did it anyways, but I don't want to hear all the reasons why I shouldn't have done it, but tell me what you think" ????

Are you just fishing for complements on a modification that you did? And then you have to ask not to get flack for it?

You might as well of posted this:

"I sold my Toyota to buy a 1965 POS Whatever. I have read all the reviews and rantings of why this vehicle is such a piece of crap and why it is totally unsafe for everybody when I actually drive it on the road, so I don't want you guys telling me all the same stuff. Tell me what you think!"

Please stop wasting your time and ours

and now I'll get totally preachy for a second here:

BTW, just because people aren't flashing you doesn't mean that you are not blinding or otherwise distracting them from what they should actually be doing, ie. paying attention to the road,

MOST laws that govern our highways and surface streets are there for a reason, usually that reason is to protect the safety of those who choose to use them. There is a good reason why the "HIDZ" kit that you installed in your rig is illegal, and it's not to keep you from looking cool or being able to see better,

There are also reasons why you can only have bumpers and lights that are so high or so low, just like there are reasons why there are speed limits and stop-signs,

I hope that this post wasn't too long winded for thsoe of you who are too lazy to actaully read and/or do proper modifications,

Peace, I'm out

Last edited by b.miller123; 01-22-2008 at 09:27 PM.
Old 01-22-2008, 09:29 PM

oh, and your light output is not that wide or bright enough to make it worth the risk, and my LEGAL Hella H4 conversion looks just about as good as your "hidz" but mine probably cost more
Old 01-22-2008, 11:08 PM

How do factory HIDs without projectors do it? I have seen Nissans, Acuras and Escalades with factory HID and no projector. I am sure there are more out there.
Old 01-22-2008, 11:13 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 98runner210
How do factory HIDs without projectors do it? I have seen Nissans, Acuras and Escalades with factory HID and no projector. I am sure there are more out there.
they use reflectors that are designed for HID use
Old 01-22-2008, 11:49 PM

I can't believe I'm actually doing this, but I'm going to defend the HID Kit people for a second....

Kits are illegal. For good reason. But I think all of us make a decision at some point as to which laws are "good" laws and which ones are stupid.

For example, many of us have removed the factory mud flaps on our rigs. Why? Cuz it looks better. But technically it's illegal to not cover up a certain % of tire height (at least in UT). So we could be flinging debris into peoples windshields.

Same thing w/ HID kits. They are illegal (and for good reason), yet for some people that's just another stupid law. To me, I'd say that blinding people is far more dangerous than possibly throwing up some pebbles at someones windshield. But that's where I draw the line.

That said, I can see where these people are coming from because we all draw the line somewhere. Do I agree w/ them? No. But we all at some point say screw everyone else, I'm doin this cuz I want to!

Then I just have to point out how many people on here have installed kits and not been satisfied with them. The only way you are going to get good output with HIDs is in a projector. But if you absolutely have to get a kit make sure you have the 96-98 headlights because then at least the beam is somewhat controlled...

End of rant
Old 01-22-2008, 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by superjoe83
they use reflectors that are designed for HID use
^^^^ Do you mean that the OEM's don't just put $75 kits in that they buy off eBay? I thought that's how they all did it!

So you're actually telling me that these big huge companies must do some kind of research and development, and that they have figured out that the regular halogen reflectors don't work nearly as well if you put HID bulbs in them???

So you are actually saying that there is some guy somewhere who probably has some degree in something, and he actually "designs" these crazy "reflector" thingies so they won't blind oncoming traffic???

No way man, you're fricken crazy man

I'm going to eBay to get me some "HID's" and I'll show you how my lights are way more awesomer than yours

Last edited by b.miller123; 01-22-2008 at 11:52 PM.
Old 01-23-2008, 05:02 AM

is there way to go this route instead of projectors?
Old 01-23-2008, 09:43 AM

is there way to go this route instead of projectors?
As far as I know, you can either do a projector retrofit or get a kit w/ casper shields.

So if you want to do it right, then the answer is no.
Old 01-23-2008, 11:19 AM

what im trying to figure is how the non projecter oem hid reflector is different than ours.
Old 01-23-2008, 11:29 AM

what im trying to figure is how the non projecter oem hid reflector is different than ours.
The manufacturers design them different. I'm sure they are designed on a computer to accomadate the light output of an HID bulb. They may look similiar, but there are differences in the shape and size of the reflector and shielding.
Old 01-23-2008, 02:19 PM
Contributing Member

Sounds like a death wish to me... two lane road, the car is headed right at you, I personally would like them to see where they are going as well. If not all you could be seeing is them drifting into your lane. You have to always think about the worst case scenario... This woman was in broad day light and didn't see the red light, launching this guy a good 200ft flipping the car upside down into a ditch... imagine if it was dark, raining and you were on a two lane road with this woman headed towards you...

Sorry to be a buzz kill, but blinding everyone on the road is more serious than you might think. I was no more than 30sec behind this accident and it just hit close to home if you know what I mean... You might be able to handle having someone's brights on and not have a problem seeing, but someone with poor eye sight is whole other story. You are talking about putting lights into a housing that are putting out what...? 4x the stock amount? If you don't want to hear about all the reasons why you shouldn't do it then please to go to another website where they don't care about their own or anyone else on the road's safety. Just because a vehicle isn't a sports car doesn't mean you shouldn't cut corners when modding it. You said you don't have time, if that is the case, there are places that will do the retrofit for you. Not the cheapest route but if time is an issue that option is there. If you want better light output why not get some Hella fogs? Would be much easier, cheaper, look better and you wouldn't blind everyone on the road... Your truck has black accents, why not get another set of housings and black them out while you do a retrofit. If you have two sets of lights then you won't have any down time and you can take as much time as you want to finish the retrofit...?

Last edited by turboale; 01-23-2008 at 02:29 PM.