Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

98 4runner HIDZ WITH PICS!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 05:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bi-Xenon doesn't use halogen bulbs as the high beam.

H4/9003 Bi-Xenon: low beam = bright HID bulb, high beam = bright HID bulb (uses electromagnet to move the bulb).

Regular H4/9003: low beam = bright HID bulb, high beam = tiny halogen bulb built in next to the HID bulb
Old 01-09-2008, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by Fo_SheeZy
Man I got my HID's installed today and the high beam is a stock halogen bulb! I ordered the Bi-Xenon but I don't believe that's what they sent me....
Brian,
I'm not being a ball buster, but how did you not notice this when you opened up your HID kit?
Old 01-09-2008, 06:17 PM

lol that's what everybody is saying, I never really took a close look at it.. I guess I didn't think they would've sent me the wrong thing. And I had somebody else install them for me, because I know nothing about wiring.. lol oh well.
Old 01-09-2008, 11:44 PM

a lot of HID kits don't even have a highbeam. I have heard the ones with the halogen high beam are better. The ones with the tilting bulb or moving shield apparently are prone to fail more since there is a moving part and bumps and vibrations take their tole.

Last edited by 98runner210; 01-10-2008 at 06:58 AM.
Old 01-09-2008, 11:52 PM

good job on your "upgrade". glad you like it. im trying to get rid of mine if anyones interested. its a 4 ballast, dual capsule bixenon kit. none of that moving part, magnetic shield crap. ive had one of those before, and it sucked. this one is a lot better, but im opting out for (hopefully) some porsche projectors. btw, what color temp are those? they dont look blue at all...look like 4300k to me
Old 01-10-2008, 03:27 AM

Originally Posted by hiloracerboy84
good job on your "upgrade". glad you like it. im trying to get rid of mine if anyones interested. its a 4 ballast, dual capsule bixenon kit. none of that moving part, magnetic shield crap. ive had one of those before, and it sucked. this one is a lot better, but im opting out for (hopefully) some porsche projectors. btw, what color temp are those? they dont look blue at all...look like 4300k to me
Magnetic shield crap?

What do you think of the OEM HID's that come that way, then?

Relays have moving parts too. You hardly ever see them fail.

Unless you are running one lighting element per reflector or projector, how is the add-on halogen or twin capsule set-up better?

(I had the halogen high beam version and tried it; initially they sent me the wrong plug n play kit. The light pattern was terrible and sucked badly on both the low beam and the high beam. At least the other types of bi-xenon kits give SOME cut-off.....)
Old 01-10-2008, 06:57 AM

Most vehicles use a seperate halogen for the highbeam. If an OEM vehicle manufacturer uses the magentic shield I would imagine they are of higher quality than these kits coming from China.

As for cutoff and light pattern that is going to be based on the headlight housing and projector (or lack of).
Old 01-10-2008, 07:43 AM

i was referring to crappy plug n play KIT hid's. projectors are a whole different story. my kit had a fixed casper with a magnetic actuator thing that would move the bulb back and forth to give high and low beam position similar to that of the filments in the stock h4 bulb. this setup sucked esp offroad, where it would move around, and sometimes the magnet would engage and disengage whenever it felt like it.
Old 01-10-2008, 01:47 PM

Ok after looking closely at my HID's I am more than 100% sure that I did get the bi-xenon, and not the regular H4's with the tiny halogen bulb. So my question is why is the high beam putting out a stock halogen beam, and not an HID beam? There is definitely no halogen bulb on these HID's, and the yellow light output does come from the HID's. So are they wired wrong? Does anyone know how to fix this?
Old 01-10-2008, 02:00 PM

Wow I have created one monster of a hid thread here. Geeze.
Old 01-10-2008, 02:05 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if the pigs pull you over because they dont like the fact that you have better taste in vehicles then they do, with your projector mod, just say, they are legal, i have had them certified by DOT, they are from a Porshe so they have no legal standing since it is from another legal vehicle.

or just go and get them certified by DOT seeing as if they come from a vehicle that has them legalised, then you can too. thats what i did in Canada, and didnt get stopped on the way down here throught the states.
Old 01-10-2008, 07:38 PM

Ignore my last post, I'm an idiot, they do have a halogen bulb, I just didn't see it.. lol
Old 01-10-2008, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by Belize Off Road Team
if the pigs pull you over because they dont like the fact that you have better taste in vehicles then they do, with your projector mod, just say, they are legal, i have had them certified by DOT, they are from a Porshe so they have no legal standing since it is from another legal vehicle.

or just go and get them certified by DOT seeing as if they come from a vehicle that has them legalised, then you can too. thats what i did in Canada, and didnt get stopped on the way down here throught the states.
Ummm... I'm assuming that you're talking to me? I think I'm the only one w/ porsche projectors? If so, thanks for the advice. As far as I understand it, even if your lights come from a DOT-certified vehicle you have to get them certified yourself in order for them to be legal. So, from a purely legal standpoint, my projectors are illegal, since they are not in the original vehicle and are in a non-HID housing. But, simply having DOT take a look at them will fix that.

I'm not too worried about that though.
Old 01-11-2008, 08:53 PM

How and where do you get your lights DOT approved after a retrofit?

I didn't even know it was possible; that's why I love YT. Anyone?
Old 01-12-2008, 04:06 AM

Originally Posted by 98runner210
Most vehicles use a seperate halogen for the highbeam. If an OEM vehicle manufacturer uses the magentic shield I would imagine they are of higher quality than these kits coming from China.

As for cutoff and light pattern that is going to be based on the headlight housing and projector (or lack of).
That used to be the case. Almost all new cars are going the projector only route.
Old 01-12-2008, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by UNR.Grad

VS.

please correct me if i am wrong, but i do believe that the bottom picture that this guy posted as his "after" shot really belongs to the guy named pdyebrasil who just recently posted another thread with his actual projector AND hid mod to his 4runner...

Last edited by mikes19984x4; 01-12-2008 at 11:30 AM.
Old 01-12-2008, 11:33 AM

Man I think I'm going to send my HID's back because I don't think I have enough room to do the projector mod. I don't believe I could fit projector headlights in there because it looks like they stick out a little more in the back, and my volant cold air intake would be in the way... I think.

Originally Posted by mikes19984x4
please correct me if i am wrong, but i do believe that the bottom picture that this guy posted as his "after" shot really belongs to the guy named pdyebrasil who just recently posted another thread with his actual projector AND hid mod to his 4runner...
Yeah that's correct.

Last edited by Fo_SheeZy; 01-12-2008 at 11:35 AM.
Old 01-12-2008, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by mikes19984x4
You are right... UNR Grad used my picture to show the difference between an HID kit and HIDs w/ OEM projectors.

If it helps people see the difference and steer them in the right direction, then I definitely don't mind!
Old 01-12-2008, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by pdyebrasil
You are right... UNR Grad used my picture to show the difference between an HID kit and HIDs w/ OEM projectors.

If it helps people see the difference and steer them in the right direction, then I definitely don't mind!
haha, that's what i thought...and by the way, excellent job on your porsche projectors and HID mod...
Old 01-12-2008, 03:50 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Well, crap. I changed over from stock sealed beams to the Hella H4 conversion kit. While I've been really happy with the beam pattern and the ability to change just the bulb instead of the whole assembly (without pulling the park lights and grill, too), I have not been happy with the colour of light that I have. I would prefer something closer to the temperature given off by the HID conversion kits, but now that I've read this thread, I'm not sure at all what to do. I had planned on trying a kit. After all, given what else I've done to the truck, the money doesn't seem to be that bad for a brighter, whiter light.

Now I have no clue what to do...crap, crap, crappity, crap, crap.

Quick Reply: 98 4runner HIDZ WITH PICS!!!!