Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

96 3.4 issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2005, 02:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
96 3.4 issues

The truck is running like crap. While driving normal off the line you can feel it stuttering/ hesitating and when you kick it down it really hesitates allmost like its missing or its flooded. I have yet to change the plugs,wires and fuel filter, would this solve my problem or is there something more deep rooted here.
Old 12-07-2005, 02:19 PM

how longs it been since the last plugs/wires/filters?
Old 12-07-2005, 02:42 PM

I recently just purchased the truck, it has 200ks on it and I wouldnt be surprized if it hasnt been done for a long time, in fact Id bet the timming belt is still the original one.
Old 12-07-2005, 03:07 PM
Contributing Member

is the check engine light on?
Old 12-07-2005, 03:31 PM

First off I would try a set of new NGK or Nipon Denso plugs and cleaning the MAF sensor.

Here is a good link to cleaning the MAF sensor.

If the funds aren't there yet, I wouldn't worry too much about the timing belt, the 3.4's are non-interferance motors. Oh and when you do have funds and if the timing belt hasn't been done, plan on replacing the water pump when you do it. You're already there anyways and chances are by now it's on it's last leg...

If the MAF cleaning and plugs doesn't fix it post up what the exact symptoms are, and definitely have the code read at autozone if you have a check engine light.
Old 12-07-2005, 05:10 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Is this truck new to you?

I would do Seafoam, plugs, wires, cap, rotor, air filter, fuel filter, and see how it runs. Then I would look at the MAF and O2 sensor.
Old 12-07-2005, 05:24 PM

Yes the truck is new to me and the light is on, I pulled a 100,110 and I think it was a 446(I did it last week). I do not have the stock airbox, the guy put acone filter on it, one of the hoses which comes from the charcole canister is just hanging loose not hooked to anything so I plugged it and after a day or so I got the 100,110 code. Ive since unplugged the hose. I have a bad habbit of doing ten things at once like plugging the hose the seafoam etc etc so I can never figure out if what I just did helped me or hurt me. Oh and concerning the timming belt does non interfearance mean that if it goes nothing will get damaged(like the valves)
Old 12-07-2005, 05:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by kawicowboy
Yes the truck is new to me and the light is on, I pulled a 100,110 and I think it was a 446(I did it last week).
You'll find the OBD II codes in the Tech Section here.
P0100 Mass or Volume Air Flow Circuit Malfunction
P0110 IAT Circuit Malfunction
P0446 Evaporative Emission Control System Vent Control Circuit Malfunction
You're gonna want to put that hose where it's supposed to go. It sounds like the canister may be plugged.

...one of the hoses which comes from the charcole canister is just hanging loose not hooked to anything so I plugged it...
Ouch. Which one was hanging loose? The one that attaches towards the firewall or the front bumper? The one in the front should be running to the airbox (or intake tube) - which would explain why it was hanging loose. The previous owner didn't want to take the time to tap a hole in the intake tube when they put the cone on.

Oh and concerning the timming belt does non interfearance mean that if it goes nothing will get damaged(like the valves)
Yes. You'd be okay in terms of serious internal damage (valves and the like). fwiw, I replaced my timing belt at 149k, which is +50k.. You're REALLY running on borrowed time. You're gonna wanna do that soon.
Old 12-07-2005, 06:33 PM

So, I should tap the hose into the intaketube, does it matter that it would be after the MAF or befor MAF depends on how you look at it, does it make a difference. The charcole cannister how would I know if its plugged and I believe it is the forward hose, the other(shorter one) goes into another box.

Thanks so much for all the input guys, the 3.4 is all new to me.
Old 12-07-2005, 07:04 PM

I checked out the ISR mod and I think I will try that tommorow, as far as the hose comming from the charcole cannister I am still not sure where to put it.
Old 12-07-2005, 08:31 PM

...as far as the hose comming from the charcole cannister I am still not sure where to put it.
On a stock truck, the hose returns before the air filter & MAF. Since you ain't got that no more, then you don't have a lot of choice.

The hose you're hooking up is a breather out of the EVAP, it's an emissions thing. The other hose ends up eventually making it to the gas tank. The point is have a closed system to recirculate fuel vapors.

And yeah, it's okay to have it return into the tube. The instructions for the ISR Mod talk about tapping one of the plumbing end caps for that hose, and that'll do ya' just fine.

Plugged wise... that's a guess just 'cause of the ECU throwing the code, but since you're gonna hook things up as they should be, then let's play it by ear. Flushing that thing can be interesting (there's a thread here somewhere) and it's often just easier to head to a junk yard and get another one.

Get the hoses back in shape, clear the ECU code (pull the fuse under the hood, just behind the battery marked "EFI"), and see what happens.

Welcome to the 3.4! (and the forum!)
Old 12-08-2005, 04:23 AM

Hey Thanks midiwall,
I will keep you posted.
Old 12-08-2005, 12:10 PM

WOW!! I just did the isr mod and it made a differance with the throttle responce and accelleration. Now I just have to do the plugs,wires and filter, I cant wait to feel the differance.
Old 12-08-2005, 12:52 PM

WOW!! I just did the isr mod and it made a differance with the throttle responce and accelleration. Now I just have to do the plugs,wires and filter, I cant wait to feel the differance.
Weeeeeeeeeee!

So... do you have the deckplate done as well? The combo of the ISR with the deckplate mod makes for some fun sounds from the intake. And, the deckplate will get you a few extra ponies.
Old 02-02-2006, 06:24 AM

Just to keep you updated, Ive changed the plugs and wires and instantly fixed everything, truck is running fantastic. As far as the deck plate mod goes I dont have the original airbox so its not an option.
Thanks for all the help Guys.