Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

7th injector vs. URD kit

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2004, 05:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
7th injector vs. URD kit

Hello -

This is my first post on yotatech but I have been reading the forums ever since I got my 2002 4runner. I have the TRD supercharger and am looking to get a little more power through tuning, etc. I already have a cat-back exhaust system. After searching for some time, I have yet to find a solid review on the URD supercharger performance kit. My question to you guys is whether you would recommend the 7th injector kit or the URD kit. I have yet to find some sort of comparison. If I have overlooked it, please point me in the right direction. What kind of power (hp) increases can I expect from each kit and which one would be better in the long run? I am also looking into getting the valve body upgrade done by either Level 10 or by IPT (or was it ITP)...Would you recommend getting one of the injector kits or the valve body upgrade done first.?

Thanks for all of your help,
David
Old 01-20-2004, 07:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I can't comment on your root question of the 7th injector or URD, but...

You want to get the valve body done first. If you put more power into the engine, it's just going to make your tranny work harder than it already is with the S/C sitting up there.

You may also want to consider getting headers. With an S/C'd engine and a free-flow exhaust, your current breathing "wall" is the stock manifold system.

Mark
Old 01-21-2004, 12:40 PM
Contributing Member

try TTORA.com ... they have a lot more discussion about URD kit overthere.

definietly valve body first, I removed my s/c to get the valve body done first, and then reinstall it with the URD kit. I just don't have time right now, I'll get to it in early april.
Old 01-21-2004, 12:58 PM

i would definately recommend the URD kit over the 7th injector kit. It is what I want to get. The 7th injector is simply a bandaid fix. URD does it right, not to mention their kit is WAY cheaper. Seems like a no brainer to me...
Old 01-21-2004, 01:24 PM
Contributing Member

I don't know about the "way cheaper" part, the prices on the URD kit went up. Not much difference b/w the two.

but I still agree with 44runner, get the URD kit. It seems to address the short comings of the s/c, while the 7th injector kit seems iffy ... to me at least
Old 01-21-2004, 02:16 PM

I am going with the URD kit. It is $849 and TRD is $1299. TRD is fixing a problem that they should have fixed when the S/C was put on the market.
Old 01-21-2004, 02:39 PM

Folks,

Over the weekend, I installed Gadget's fuel mod. kit and I must say Gadget has done a great job putting this kit together. The injectors, plugs, thermostat and Split Second FTC1 installation went very smoothly but the fuel pump, I gave it to a performance shop to install for me.

The performance is unbelievable where I'm kind of worried that my breaks might not be able to handle it. As far as pinging, I had to increase the retard value in FTC1 around 1000-2000 RPM, then after doing that I can't make it ping anymore.

I guess, I prefer Gadget's kit over 7th injector since we could adjust settings like retard value and etc.

Just my 2 cents.
Cheers.
Old 01-21-2004, 05:50 PM

the 7th injector kit can be purchased for $1070 heres the link
http://www.toyotaworld.com/3.4L_supercharger.htm

i purchased my 7th injector kit before I knew about the URD kit.
If i could do it over again Im pretty sure Id go with the URD kit. Especially since I had to purchase a new fuel pump as well as new plugs. This brings the cost of the 7th injector kit up about 120 dollars.

Only positive thing about the 7th injector kit is that there arent as many parts to install as the URD kit and its covered by warranty.

Soooo heres my question for gadget...is there a package you can recommend for me to add to my 7th injector kit to fine tune it? You mentioned somewhere but I cant find it that us 7th injector kit owners can purchase a few items from URD to better manage fuel delivery and timing. How hard will it be since theres 7 injectors to control?

David
Old 01-21-2004, 09:10 PM

I have a question that I'd like to see Gadget (or someone really close to his kit) address...

Can you describe what's expected out of the FTC1? It's my impression that it works as a fuel/timing controller and does it's job by "replacing" the associated tables in the ECU.

What kind of adjustment ranges do you need to make the URD kit work to your spec?

Those that know my past blather can probably guess where I'm going with this... Can someone with an SMT-5/6 (a piggyback computer similar to the FTC1) get the URD kit to work to your specs?

Possibly more to the point... Would you consider selling a kit minus the FTC1 to folks that already have a fuel/timing management system?

Thanks!
Old 01-22-2004, 04:55 AM
CTB

Originally posted by Mulkey
I am going with the URD kit. It is $849 and TRD is $1299. TRD is fixing a problem that they should have fixed when the S/C was put on the market.
Awesome. If you need someone here in SC to help you out with a test drive, I'm sure I can make myself available!
Old 01-22-2004, 07:43 AM

Originally posted by kimchee
the 7th injector kit can be purchased for $1070 heres the link
http://www.toyotaworld.com/3.4L_supercharger.htm

i purchased my 7th injector kit before I knew about the URD kit.
If i could do it over again Im pretty sure Id go with the URD kit. Especially since I had to purchase a new fuel pump as well as new plugs. This brings the cost of the 7th injector kit up about 120 dollars.

Only positive thing about the 7th injector kit is that there arent as many parts to install as the URD kit and its covered by warranty.

Soooo heres my question for gadget...is there a package you can recommend for me to add to my 7th injector kit to fine tune it? You mentioned somewhere but I cant find it that us 7th injector kit owners can purchase a few items from URD to better manage fuel delivery and timing. How hard will it be since theres 7 injectors to control?

David
There has been some testing done on a Toyota Matrix that has the same additional injector system. The owner did not like the performance of his supercharged car so an improvement was sought.

The piggy back TRD unit was yanked out and replaced with a Split Second Additional Injector Controller. This allowed full tuning of the additional injector. There was a substantial improvement in power and the customer was very happy.

One of the many things we are working on is a different version of the FTC that incorporates the additional injector controller with timing contoller and this is going to replace all the TRD controlling hardware and allow the user to completely tune his fuel and timing for the best possible performance.

So, can I put you down for one or two of these units?

Gadget

www.GadgetOnline.com
Old 01-22-2004, 07:48 AM

Originally posted by midiwall
I have a question that I'd like to see Gadget (or someone really close to his kit) address...

Can you describe what's expected out of the FTC1? It's my impression that it works as a fuel/timing controller and does it's job by "replacing" the associated tables in the ECU.

What kind of adjustment ranges do you need to make the URD kit work to your spec?

Those that know my past blather can probably guess where I'm going with this... Can someone with an SMT-5/6 (a piggyback computer similar to the FTC1) get the URD kit to work to your specs?

Possibly more to the point... Would you consider selling a kit minus the FTC1 to folks that already have a fuel/timing management system?

Thanks!
The FTC does not replace the maps inside the stock ECU. What it does in intercept the signals from various sensors and modifies those sensor signals to make the ECU do what we want it to do.

For fuel control the signal from the MAF is intercepted and increased or decreased in relation to RPM and manifold pressure (load) to control the mixture.

The same thing is done with the cam and crank angle position sensors to contol timing.

All these piggy back units or linear controllers work on the same concept generally. The big difference between them is that some work, some don't, some are user installed and tuned, and some are dealer installed and tuned.

If you want to use some other piggy back or linear controller you can order the rest of the componants from our site as needed to complete your installation. I think you will find that our prices are very competitive and I do mean very.

Gadget

www.GadgetOnline.com
Old 01-22-2004, 07:53 AM

Originally posted by CTB
Awesome. If you need someone here in SC to help you out with a test drive, I'm sure I can make myself available!

That kind of offer should come with a warning from the government.

Unless you are ready to buy a supercharger, don't drive one with a supercharger. I did that and as soon as the test drive was over I was on the cell phone placing my order.

Also, do not drive one with properly tuned fuel mods. Again you will instantly want to spend more money. Most dyno tests show about a 40 HP increase to the wheels with the supercharger alone. We about doubled that on the 2001 Taco with our kit. It may of been more if that truck was not totally stock.

Just be carefull what you test drive. You have been fairly warned.

So, let me know if you want to take test drive in my rig...

Gadget

www.GadgetOnline.com
Old 01-22-2004, 08:04 AM

Originally posted by Gadget
The FTC does not replace the maps inside the stock ECU. What it does in intercept the signals from various sensors and modifies those sensor signals to make the ECU do what we want it to do.
Yeup, I know. That's why I had "replacing" in quotes.

From what I read about the FTC1, I think that my SMT-5 (installed and working well) can handle the chore. Now I just have to decide to do it.

If you want to use some other piggy back or linear controller you can order the rest of the componants from our site as needed to complete your installation. I think you will find that our prices are very competitive and I do mean very.
Yeah... I was wandering the site last night with CC in hand. It's a dangerous place. "Gee Thanks".

I've always said that I won't do a S/C without being able to do the fuel mods, then I backed off and said that I didn't want an S/C at all, and now... uh-oh.