Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

7th injector or URD kit

Old 03-29-2006, 04:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
7th injector or URD kit

Okay, I'm about to bite the bullet and buy a supercharger for my 2000 4Runner. I have done all kinds of searches and I want to get the opinions of the guys who have already done the job. I am looking to install the supercharger with any necessary fuel mods at the same time. What is the right way to go, 7th injector from TRD or the URD kit? What would you guys suggest as "necessary" for the install? What additional parts/procedures, etc? The valve body on my auto will be upgraded and I am leaning towards the URD 2.2 pulley and their fuel mod kit. OPINIONS?????????

Thanks ahead of time,

Rob
Old 03-29-2006, 08:49 AM
Contributing Member

i know you will probly be told to search because there are already lots of threads like this but i will tell you what i know, i almost positve that most would go with urd fuel mods because they are tune able, urd sells somthing to make the trd 7th injector tunable, but why do that when you could just start with their stuff to begin with. you will also need a new fuel pump, and plugs. i would definitily not do a smaller pully without the fuel mods either.
Old 03-29-2006, 12:14 PM

I have done quite a bit of searching but have not seen much on how the two compare. I just got off the phone with the good people at TRDParts4ru and the supercharger should begin it's journey to the East coast tomorrow. WooHoo!!!!
Old 03-29-2006, 01:03 PM
Contributing Member

Well played. (on picking up the SC)

I believe the court of Yotatech opinion favours the URD kit (some of which is technical, some of which is his years of service here).

I'm running w/o mods - and will go URD shortly.

The correct answer may be "both".

PS - search (ha! didn't want anyone to think I was getting soft)
Old 03-29-2006, 01:28 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I heard my name being called...

Hutch has it pretty well down... There is no flat answer for "better". If you like to tinker and tune for maximum HP, then it's URD. If you want to plug & go and never touch it, then it's the 7th. Both systems are excellent and do their job.

If you go with the URD kit, then the only option I would suggest that you look at is to run an SMT-6 instead of the FTC1 that URD sells. There's more info on the SMT-6 here.

He's also right in that you shouldn't think about running the 2.2 pulley without fuel mods, and you shouldn't think about running anything smaller than that without a methanol system.

Kudos to doing the IPT upgrade sooner than later - I'm replacing my tranny because I don't practice what I preach.

I can babble for hours on the topics at hand if you need more info.
Old 03-30-2006, 04:09 AM

Thanks for your help. Any other advice from supercharger owners?
Old 03-30-2006, 08:33 AM

Get gauges first while you are still stock and record the values while stock.
EGT,
Fuel pressure,
wide band o2 sensor (LM-1)

After the supercharger is installed, you would be able to determine what additional fuel mods you need based on what your gauges say.
You may not need any additional mods. Not all vehicles are the same and not all need the same fuel mods.
Check Gadget's site, get the gauges, then determine what you need after the basic supercharger is installed.

This is my .02 cents if I were to do it from scratch.

Good luck
koda4
Old 03-30-2006, 08:56 AM

ummm... ahh... I figure you're implying that he may not need ANY fuel mods? If not, then why worry about FP? Running an FP gauge is overkill and in the time it takes you to install it, you could have larger injectors in or the 7th installed. If you find that you're lean on top, then knowing that the FP is "normal" won't help. You still have to install either the 7th or the URD kit.

It was a good diagnostic for Gadget to verify what he thought was going on, but to run it full time at this bolt-on performance level is a waste.

The LM-1 is nice, I have one with the logger, but it's expensive and that A/FR sensor doesn't last as long as you'd hope. Enough imperical evidence has been gathered by a LOT of folks to know how to set up the piggyback once he's gotten something installed. These days I tune by EGT, which I would highly recommend.

Primo, where are you in the world? The question is based around what elevation you'll be running the truck at.
Old 03-30-2006, 11:46 AM

I'm in Connecticut. Fairly close to sea level
Old 03-30-2006, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by Primo
I'm in Connecticut. Fairly close to sea level
'k... The air will generally be damp and heavier, which is a good thing in this regard. I'm still disagreeing with Koda about how to do this - you should ALWAYS run fuel mods with an S/C.

Lemme run it this way... I'm in Seattle, the creator of "damp and heavy" air. I first ran with the SMT piggyback, stock injectors and stock fuel pump. PING CITY. Even now, with the Walbro & 305s, I can get it to ping under load (up hill, at around 500') without too much thinking about it.

YES there are people in the world that "don't have a problem". But ping is not always audible, and it will still destroy your engine.

The upside of running around sea level is that you should be able to support a bit more timing which will help your power curve.
Old 03-30-2006, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by midiwall
But ping is not always audible, and it will still destroy your engine.
Well said and I totally agree. Just because you can't hear it doesn't mean your engine is safe.

Primo---Noliwan has a 2000 4runner like you do. Check out his mods and HP numbers:
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c3...ewModsheet.jpg

His truck runs sweet and hauls ass too------

Last edited by TRDOLMAN; 03-30-2006 at 01:27 PM.
Old 03-30-2006, 05:08 PM

Pretty nice HP and torque numbers. I think I am going to take the URD route. Is the install of the supercharger or URD kit complicated? From what I have read it looks pretty straight forward except for the task of dropping the fuel tank. Anything to watch out for?
Old 03-30-2006, 05:54 PM
Contributing Member

Walbro 190 FP, Napa 170 thermo, 2-step colder plugs, Redline Water Wetter 60/40 water/coolant mix, SMT6...no audible ping (+ I guard-banded the timing further in the ping zone for safety), full timing/fuel control (within reason), and $500 cheaper than the URD kit. I went the budget route and am very happy with my decision.

I am not saying this route is better than the URD route, just different.

Last edited by rimpainter.com; 03-30-2006 at 05:55 PM.
Old 03-30-2006, 09:40 PM

Pretty nice HP and torque numbers. I think I am going to take the URD route. Is the install of the supercharger or URD kit complicated? From what I have read it looks pretty straight forward except for the task of dropping the fuel tank. Anything to watch out for?
For someone that's done it before, you can install an S/C in a little more than 2 hours. Add 30 minutes for the injectors.

First time? Figure a calm mid-morning to evening...

The gas tank is a pain - not hard, just a pain. Doing it yourself is possible (I did) but you'll need jackstands (ESPECIALLY if you're not lifted) and a floor jack. Run the tank to down around 1/8 full for the least pain.

First time, it's about 3 hours - to do it again is about 2.

Things to watch out for? If you have a digital camera, take a pic of the vacuum hose arrangement before you start. You'll be pulling them ALL off and it can be helpful to have something to reference when you put it back together.
Old 03-31-2006, 06:26 AM

Thank! That's the kind of information I was looking for. I will most likely be doing it myself and have not done a supercharger install before.
Old 04-04-2006, 06:09 AM

Thank! That's the kind of information I was looking for. I will most likely be doing it myself and have not done a supercharger install before.
Follow the directions - they're actually pretty good.
Old 04-13-2006, 06:43 PM
Contributing Member

Mark is right on the money w/ his time estimates.
It took me three hours yesterday. (1st time)
Old 04-14-2006, 05:26 AM

Hey hey! So... Welcome to the club!

Having fun?
Old 04-14-2006, 05:58 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by midiwall
Hey hey! So... Welcome to the club!

Having fun?
Oh yeah! Now its time for about 3 grand worth of mods to REALLY get some power.
Old 06-05-2006, 07:20 PM
Contributing Member

just trying to clarify....as to ease of urd kit install...i did not install my supercharger, and im actually kind of intimidated when thinking of doing this myself. im good electrically and pretty much everything else on the 4runner...but engines scare me, and my tool box is small.

can i put this thing on with the help of a buddy on the same level as myself? and about how long would it take?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 7th injector or URD kit