Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

4x4 Issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2017, 02:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4x4 Issue

Hello,

I have a 2002 3rd Gen 4Runner SR5 4x4 and was going up a forest road when I got stuck in snow. So I pushed in the 4x4 selector on transfer case lever to engage 4x4 High. I then heard grinding and mechanical sounds coming from under the 4runner. My understanding is that you can shift on the fly with the selector button and keep moving. My 4x4 never engaged that day, even when I turned the VSC off the engage the center diff.

So the next day I played around with the 4x4. I have tried engaging while moving in Drive, stopped in Drive, and stopped in N. Nothing works. If I push the selector in N then put the 4runner in Drive, the gears start grinding. If I push the selector in Drive and moving then the indicator just flashes, then the gears grind and wind. If I push the selector in N then press the VSC button to engage, I hear and feel the 4runner engage but front tires do not have power.

Any insight to this issue or a way to fix this will help. Thanks in advance.
Old 02-13-2017, 04:18 PM
Contributing Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Did you push the button when you were still trying to move forward when stuck?
Old 02-14-2017, 05:35 AM

Received 68 Likes on 63 Posts
It is very important that if you are actually stuck with wheel spinning that you put it in neutral as that 1 wheel on an open diff will continue to spin even when off the throttle and when you shift to 4x4 it will cause damage to the t-case, the PO replaced the T-case on my old 4R because of that, but it cracked the t-case open.
Old 02-14-2017, 06:49 AM

Marc: I first pushed the 4x4 selector button when I was not stuck but just slipping. I still had forward motion, but when I pushed the selector my power was lost in all 4 wheels and the grinding gear sound started.

Malcolm99: When I actually got stuck and had no traction I put the 4runner in N then shifted into 4x4 in every capable way possible but nothing happened except the sound of gears grinding.
Old 02-14-2017, 07:29 AM

If your wheels were spinning when you engaged the t-case and you here grinding you may have stripped the gears or cracked a gear, you won't know the extent of the damage until you open her up. Try draining the T-case fluid and see what comes out, in the end your going to need an identical t-case replacement from the sounds of it, there are a few variations of the 4R T-case.
Old 02-14-2017, 07:34 AM

Thank you Malcolm99. I will check that out and get back to you what I find out. All in all I may just take to dealership to see what they say as well.
Old 02-14-2017, 07:35 AM
Contributing Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by treyirwin3
Marc: I first pushed the 4x4 selector button when I was not stuck but just slipping. I still had forward motion, but when I pushed the selector my power was lost in all 4 wheels and the grinding gear sound started.

Malcolm99: When I actually got stuck and had no traction I put the 4runner in N then shifted into 4x4 in every capable way possible but nothing happened except the sound of gears grinding.
It sounds like you tried to engage 4wd when it was in 2wd and the back wheels were "slipping".
I'm guessing that caused the problem as the back and front wheels were rotating at different speeds.

While it's ok to "engage on the fly" it's not ok to engage while under load or slipping. At least with my system.
I always back off the throttle slightly before engaging 4wd, and make sure both axles are rotating at the same speed.

Sounds like you've damaged the transfer case. I'd drain the oil and see what comes out.
And/or put it up on jack stands and see where the noise is coming from in 4wd. (be carefull!!)

Hopefully someone with a better understanding of your system will come along.
Old 02-14-2017, 07:42 AM

Thank you Marc. I have never had issues on this 4runner. When I needed it in the past I would just push the selector to engage what is essentially AWD. The lights would flash then go solid indicating that it was engaged. I have never used the center diff button until this last time where the 4x4 broke.
Old 02-14-2017, 08:30 AM

if you engage 4x4 or 4wd when the tires are slipping it will cause damage, the extent of which would depend on the circumstances. Drain the fluid, if you see chunks or a lot of filings that looks like metallic sliver paint you will want to replace that t-case. It is not worth it to rebuild typically as the bearings will all need to replaced now.. Typically it is cheaper to replace the entire T-case with a used one as apposed to rebuilding, especially since this t-case is available at every junk yard. The dealer is the very last place I would go unless a very close friend works there. The T-case is very easy to change.
Old 02-14-2017, 08:37 AM

Sounds good. Thanks for the advice, I will drain the T-case this week.