Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners
Old 03-31-2016, 02:34 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:
Browse all: Toyota 4Runner 4WD - Four Wheel Drive Guides

Print Wikipost

4WD Lights on Dash Blinking ALL THE TIME??????

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 09:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 4WD Lights on Dash Blinking ALL THE TIME??????

I have a 2001 4Runner SR5 with 204K orginal miles, runs and drives like new. It has the push button 4WD option on the side of the H-L shifter as well as the center diff lock option and of course VSC, and Trac Control.
Anyways I have NEVER had any problems with the 4WD system until last Sunday the 27th of March. The roads were slick so like I always do I pushed the 4WD button and let off the gas, and no I was no sliding, nor were the wheels spininng at all! Normally it always clicks right into 4WD/AWD. But this time the dash lights just kept blinking, all 4 of the green tire lights and the orange center light. So I tried stopping slowly going into reverse for a bit and then forward, and NOTHING. Then I tried putting it into netural and into 4 low and locking the center diff, NOTHING worked. I hooked my scanner up, no codes found, reset ECU, unplugged battery, checked all fuses and sensor/actuator plugs. Everything was fine.
I read about in a thread about a Transfer sensor? That's located to the rear of the transfer case and to the left of the actuator. Well there is actually 2 of them so I removed both of them to inspect, they looked fine. I tried putting 12V power to each of them and nothing happend. So I re installed them started it back up and still the same issue??????????????????????
Oh yeah it's undriveable because when you go to turn a corner it feels like your in true 4WD. Also I had the front end jacked up yesterday and seems that the hubs are locked. And the front drive shaft won't turn???????

Could it be one of those sensors? Any help with this issue would be great.
Thanks in advance, Scott!!!!!