Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

4Runners and Taxi Cabs Don't Get Along

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2004, 07:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4Runners and Taxi Cabs Don't Get Along

Well, I learned last night to REALLY watch out for Taxi cab drivers in Atlanta. On my way home last night, a Taxi driver ran a red light and took a chunk off my drivers side front end. What really made me a little upset was the fact the driver was yelling at me because I ran the red light. But luckily the driver behind me and an off duty police officer saw the whole thing.

But it still sucks my pride and joy is wrecked. Yeah I know I need my , but I was seriously attached to my 4Runner more than I realized. After going to see her this morning, I have been quiet all day. Weird I know. I am happy that no one was hurt and know it could have been worse.

Anyway, if any one wants to see the air bag sensor, I put a picture on http://community.webshots.com/user/4runner2003 . Even thought the air bags didn't go off, and luckily so. That would have really scared the crap out of me.

But the good thing is the car was drivable. I think if I changed the tire, I could have driven home. But the police officer and I thought my truck was leaking anti-freeze fluid so I had it towed. But it ended up that my buddy was taking a leak behind the truck instead and we did not know that at the time.

Ok enough whining, I just had to vent a little
Attached Thumbnails 4Runners and Taxi Cabs Don't Get Along-dsc.jpg  

Last edited by 4Runner2003; 01-05-2004 at 06:31 PM.
Old 01-04-2004, 10:00 PM
Contributing Member

Wow man that sucks! How fast was the cab going? He took a nice chunk out of you. Hope you get everything worked out; I would probably cry if that happened to me. Good luck with it all
Old 01-04-2004, 10:40 PM
Contributing Member

yeah, that really does suck. sorry about the misfortune. hope you get everything back to normal real quick. man if only they had ARBs for 4th gens, you could go ramming taxis all day.
Old 01-04-2004, 10:55 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Scott,

Damn, i'd be devastated. I'm sure you're not happy too. I got t-boned in my old Civic waaaay back by a fella who didn't have a license, registration, and insurance. When the cops came, he bolted into his friend's car and they took off in a cloud of smoke. The damage was to my frame and that put me out of action for many weeks.

Anyways, I don't know how the laws are in your state, but at least in CA, you dont have to get multiple estimates or go to any of the other party's 'approved' repair shops, etc. Just make sure you find the BEST place to get your repairs done since their insurance co is going to have to pay for it.

Good luck,
Bob
Old 01-04-2004, 10:56 PM
Contributing Member

At least you didn't get hurt! Sorry to hear about your truck, Bro. Hope the bastard taxi driver didn't bust your frame up, looks like repairable damage.
Old 01-05-2004, 04:20 AM

Hey everyone,

Thanks for the support. Today is the day I get to really start dealing with the insurance company. So basically I will be in a crabby mood all day at work

As for how fast the taxi was going, all I remember is starting to turn, then this flash bang and watching a taxi cab spinning out past us. The guy behind us didn't even see him, but someone in his car did and that is what saved him from getting hit.

But again, I am glad no one got hurt. I just want my truck back . And I am praying there is not frame damage.

Thanks again!!
Old 01-05-2004, 04:47 AM
lee
Contributing Member

wow, thats no small ding! what a jerk -- taxis act like they own the road.

one thing to watch is that the taxi cabs insurance puts factory parts in -- a lot of times they try to squeeze out cheap with aftermarket crap.

good luck.
Old 01-05-2004, 05:38 AM
Contributing Member

Ouch!! Glad you are ok!

That's a lot of damage!!
Old 01-05-2004, 06:48 PM

I'll make sure they put Toyota parts on there. But I was kinda thinking, since it is in the shop, should I have them replace the hood with the hood that has the scoop, or just leave it factory.
Old 01-05-2004, 07:13 PM
Contributing Member

SCOOP IT!!!

Fink
Old 01-05-2004, 07:15 PM
Contributing Member

Get teh scoop!!!
Old 01-05-2004, 07:19 PM

Hve to say one thing, looks like it held up good from teh taxi hitting your truck...
Old 01-05-2004, 07:19 PM
Contributing Member

I have to say - I feel the same way about my truck. I know where you're coming from - I have a dent in my fender because of someone who cut me off on the freeway (another Tacoma driver too! :cry: ) and I felt so foolish venting about it to my girlfriend.
Yeah, I'm pretty attached to my truck oh well.

Besides, yours is a new 4th gen - who wouldn't be bummed?

Anyhow, I hope everything works out well for you. This may be a good opportunity to sneak in a few mods you might have been thinking about
Keep us updated on the fix!
Old 01-06-2004, 08:54 AM
Contributing Member

dang, always sux to see 4runners in accidents

the good news is that nobody got hurt and ur fine. shows how reliable the 4runner is on a off center accident. I"m sure the insurance company will make sure everything is fine (just confirm that it's all toyota parts though).

hopefully u'll have ur 4runner back in a few weeks... in the meantime i suppose u'll be driving some POS compact car huh! hehe
Old 01-06-2004, 08:59 AM
Contributing Member

Definetely get the Scoop!!! You've got the chance, don't pass it up
Old 01-06-2004, 09:18 AM

Well I just go the estimate today and it is only $7,743 to get it fixed. The best part is NO frame damage and it is mostly panel replacements new tire (I am making them put 2 new ones on there) and to have the a/c recharged. Not really sure what;s up with that.

I am also getting a price on the hood scoop. I spoke the the body shop and they don't think the difference would be much at all, so I am going for that. So my first mod, the scoop will be on my truck for hardly any expense to me. You gotta like those types of mod's

These guys at Roswell (North Atlanta Collision) Toyota, are awesome too. I'll be back in my 4Runner within a couple of week.

And yeah, this rental car sucks. But, a good way to look at it, I am saving money in gas.
Old 01-06-2004, 09:42 AM

Hey, are they replacing the alloy wheels too? I would insist they replace the front alloy wheels because if they are even 1mm bent, that will make them weaker and wobbly. The chance that at least the drivers side is damaged is just as likely as it could be ok. So I would insist they buy new ones to go with the tires- or pay to have the wheels checked out (without the tires on it).

Good luck with everything
Old 01-06-2004, 09:48 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Very sorry about your misfortune. Given the amount and angle of body damage, I'm surprised no airbags deployed. If there's any good news out of this (besides that you're uninjured), it's that black is an easy color to match compared to the metallics or pearls.

This could be a good time to specify a tire of your choice on the L/F corner. Then of course all tires must match, so there you have a new set of tires. This is true even if insurance wants you sticking with OEM tires, all should be replaced to equal treadwear and therefore handling and SAFETY (always a good word to use to get your way) characteristics.

Good luck, glad you're OK.
Old 01-06-2004, 10:11 PM

Well, I too will offer my condolences on the whole deal. I had not 3K on my new Tundra when some jarhead rear ended me....Man, I saw red for a while. But, the outcome was ok I guess, made them put on a body colored Limited style rear bumper.

And yes, black is great to match, especially when it's new.

Good luck-
Old 01-07-2004, 04:37 AM
Contributing Member

I can understand how you feel. Hopefully everything will be back to normal soon! Glad to hear no one was injured!

Mike

Quick Reply: 4Runners and Taxi Cabs Don't Get Along