Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

4runner Tire Jack is useless

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2006, 07:36 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4runner Tire Jack is useless

Hey guys, unless I'm reading the instructions wrong on the jack, it has a pic showing the axle as the lift point. The reason I bring this up is because I had to put the spare on and change out a rear flat tire.

Using the supplied tire jack I lifted the truck from the axle and all seemed to go well, got the flat tire off, but when I started to put the spare I noticed the truck starting to shift, knowing what was about to happen, I was able to put the spare underneath the brake and it fell on the tire. Luckily I found a tow truck who lifted it right up and I was able to get the spare on. Has anyone else had any problems using the tire jack? It's seems kinda small to begin with. If anyone knows the correct lift point, please fill me in.
Old 07-25-2006, 07:47 PM

Umm have had no problems as of yet have changed tires a few time with it. It actually is a pretty sweet jack even though it is small it does the job perfect. I cant remeber if I tried using it with my 33.9" SSR's though hmmmm!

Aaron
Old 07-25-2006, 07:49 PM
Contributing Member

I forgot to mentin the parking lot had a slight decline, this along with the changing of the tire might have caused it to shift.
Old 07-25-2006, 07:53 PM

I don't think the jack is the problem.
Old 07-25-2006, 07:59 PM
Contributing Member

Chicken

I kinda knew that was coming! so ha ha!

But is the axle where you put the jack and lift, or is it somwhere else?
Old 07-25-2006, 08:03 PM
Contributing Member

ive noticed that the top of the jack is round, and not so keen to place on a rounded axle.... but doing this on a non level surface is just dangerous, especially if you dont have the wheels chocked to keep the vehicle from falling on you
I usually just find another point in the rear that fits the end of the jack better
Old 07-25-2006, 08:13 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by wjwerdna
ive noticed that the top of the jack is round, and not so keen to place on a rounded axle.... but doing this on a non level surface is just dangerous, especially if you dont have the wheels chocked to keep the vehicle from falling on you
I usually just find another point in the rear that fits the end of the jack better
That is exactly what I noticed, the flat round top, it doesn't look like it would support an axle but the pics show to lift from the axle, I'll take your advice and lift from a different spot next time.
Old 07-25-2006, 08:23 PM
Contributing Member

front i put it under bolt heads on LCA, rear i really have no good suggestion since the place i usually put it prob isnt a good place, and is bending slightly...
Old 07-25-2006, 08:44 PM
Contributing Member

the jack isn't useless, if you ever install a lift it lends a helpful hand spreading the upper control arm in front to attach the coilovers. it also makes for a good spreader to push the rear axle away from the frame to pull/install the rear springs. I've also used it to bend the skid plate back into shape before.
Old 07-25-2006, 08:46 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by wjwerdna
this is why you stick the round end against the shock mount bottom or the control arm mount to jack the rear axle up. it wont slip out of that.
Old 07-25-2006, 08:49 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by keisur
this is why you stick the round end against the shock mount bottom or the control arm mount to jack the rear axle up. it wont slip out of that.
yeah, thats what i do, but that part is rounding over the corner a tad
Old 07-25-2006, 08:50 PM
Contributing Member

the jack isn't useless, if you ever install a lift it lends a helpful hand spreading the upper control arm in front to attach the coilovers. it also makes for a good spreader to push the rear axle away from the frame to pull/install the rear springs. I've also used it to bend the skid plate back into shape before.
keisur,

That's awesome! funny too. You might turn this thread into a "The multiple uses of the tire jack" thread
Old 07-25-2006, 08:55 PM
Contributing Member

I thought about that but since this was the first time changing the spare on my 4runner, but I didn't wanna screw anything up, or so I say...
Old 07-25-2006, 09:14 PM

i second the motion too change the name of the thread to "The multiple uses of the tire jack" ha ha LOL,
Old 07-25-2006, 09:20 PM
Contributing Member

i used mine with the supplied four bolt holes to also make a strut compressor, worked like a charm, (all statements made here are made without the express guarantee of safety or just plain keeping yourself intact, as methods are out of my control)
Old 07-26-2006, 03:45 AM

Not completely useless. My 4000lb jack couldn't get my front tires far enough off the ground to rotate them this past weekend. I had to use that itty-bitty bottle jack to get the front up high enough to get a jack stand under it. I was pissed about it, but it worked. It freed up the "nice" jack for the rear axel, I guess?
Old 07-26-2006, 08:55 AM
Contributing Member

i'd imagine it's similar on the runner, but on my tacoma i use the jack under the mounting point of the springs on the axle. The flat mounting bracket keeps the jack steady instead of having to place the jack directly on the axle.

of course, i avoid using my stock jack as much as i can and use the hi-lift if i need to change tires
Old 07-27-2006, 07:26 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by OutdoorLiving
Not completely useless. My 4000lb jack couldn't get my front tires far enough off the ground to rotate them this past weekend. I had to use that itty-bitty bottle jack to get the front up high enough to get a jack stand under it. I was pissed about it, but it worked. It freed up the "nice" jack for the rear axel, I guess?
hehe, the secret there is to use the floor jack to jack up the front on the frame rail, then stick the stock jack under the lower control arm and push the tire up. Or you could just do like I do, I cut a 4x4 into 6 inch long pieces and use those between my floor jack and the frame rail.
Old 07-27-2006, 07:32 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
You can put the jack on; the frame rail, pinch weld and the axle. anywhere else is up to you.
Old 07-28-2006, 04:18 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by ChickenLover

I don't think the jack is the problem.

I had no problem getting my truck high enough to take off my 285's

Quick Reply: 4runner Tire Jack is useless