Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

4runner help

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2005, 05:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 4runner help

ok i married into a toyota, we have a 97 4runner with 130000 miles. last week it developed a misfire so i replaced the plugs and wires and air filter. ran good for a couple of days and know it was a slight miss when shifting and accelerating. while crusing the rps will jump (crusing @2000 all of the sudden will fit 3500-4000) no increase in speed, and i drove it about 80 miles the other day, and it took over nearlly 3/4 a tank of gas, normally it would take maybe a 1/4.

I need help, not good with toyota's
Old 07-15-2005, 07:33 AM

Received 637 Likes on 513 Posts
Is it an auto trans? If so, I would get teh tranny flushed and refilled with new fluid ASAP. Sounds like it's slipping...have you checked the fluid level in the tranny? It may just be low, but with that many miles on it, it's time for a good flush any way.
If it's a manual, have you changed the oil in the tranny? Maybe get the clutch replaced. It may be slipping.
Either way, sounds like a tranny problem to me! If you don't do your own work, get it to your mechanic asap and let him check, but get it now, before you wind up apying for repairs instead of just preventative maintennance!
Old 07-15-2005, 07:46 AM

ok, i will give it a shot, is flushing it difficult on the 4runner (manual) i do most of the work but i own a jeep, not quite as technical as a toyota.

i got a haynes manual for it, i guess i will just follow directions
Old 07-15-2005, 09:39 AM

Received 637 Likes on 513 Posts
A manual is actually pretty easy. Just do one verrrrryyyy important thing: Make absolutely certain you can get the fill plug out before you drain teh tranny. Would be highly counterproductive (my $5.00 word for the day! ) to get the oil all drained out then find out that you can't fill it up and need to go someplace to get it broken loose or repaired/replaced. Although in a tight spot, you can pull the shifter out and fill it that way.
Anyway, just get the new oil, see your owners manual/Haynes for their recommendation, and a pump to pump it in with. They sell the pumps that screw right onto the oil jugs for cheap right there where the oil is. Also get new washers for the drain and fill plugs, one set each fo rhte tranny, transfer case, and both differentials. Drop the drain and fill plugs out. Some drain plugs have a magnet in the center, and that should be cleaned of all the filings and such that collect on it. I personally recommend driving the truck long enough to get the trans oil good and hot before changing it. Gets all the crud up in the oil, so it drains out with the oil instead of sitting in the bottom of the tranny, and it also makes the oil warm so it flows better. Let it drain for 30-60 minutes, then put the drain plug back in, with a new washer, and fill with oil. FIll it until it juuuuusssst starts to come out the fill plug. I'm assuming you have a transfer case as well. You need to drain and fill it too, as welll as both differentials. If you're going to do something, do it right.
This is all something that should be done every 30,000 miles, believe it or not.
If all this doesn't make the sudden RPM increases stop, it's your clutch, and that's a whole nother proceedure!
Good luck, and keep us up to date on how it goes
Old 07-15-2005, 11:47 AM

My truck was doing very similar things... Check your crank pulley. Is it wobbling around? I found mine to be. The shop pulled it and found the issue. The crank (timing) gear had tons of play. I'm guessing the t-belt had been done by the prior owner, but maybe the crank bolt was not put on to the proper torque. The timing gear was moving around and got notched by the crank key.

Have a shop check your cam & crank timing. If it's off.... I'm guessing you have the same problem. Funny, toyota stocks all those parts!?!?

My truck was showing a random missfire code, and missfire on cylinders 2 & 5, plus 6.8 mpg.
Old 07-15-2005, 11:55 AM
Contributing Member

Have Autozone check your codes before you start throwing a bunch of money at random things. Let us know if anything is stored.
Old 07-19-2005, 06:13 AM

it is the clutch, had a machanic drive just to cofirm, so into the clutch, my money says it three times as hard than my jeep.
Old 07-19-2005, 11:31 PM

The clutch on the toys is no harder or easire than any other car on the road today....and if you have done one on a Jeep then by all means you can do one on a toy.....I can not think of any gotchas to tell you about on the job either......