Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

4" Deckplate vs. 6" Deckplate

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2005, 11:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4" Deckplate vs. 6" Deckplate

I searched the forum and didn't find any comparison about this. Is there a big performance difference between a 4" hole and a 6" hole when doing the deckplate mod (I hope not cuz I just ordered the 4" Beckson today )?
Old 02-06-2005, 11:33 PM
Contributing Member

Not really. But i like bigger holes. Cant ever have too much air LOL.
Old 02-07-2005, 04:08 AM

Location: Far western Kentucky (transplanted from central PA)
I've heard there's not much diffeerence, if any. I have the 4" on my 2000 and would have been hard pressed to install the 6", IMHO. I believe the airflow with the 4" deckplate plus the elbow removal mod would be awfully close to the 6" deckplate air volume. Besides, your max flow is limitied on what the engine can suck through the piping so I wouldn't get too hung-up on 4" vs. 6". Again, that's my opinion.
Old 02-07-2005, 04:44 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It follows the law of diminishing returns....yes it will flow more air....but nothing significant.
Old 02-07-2005, 07:01 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I did the 4 inch.

Are you going to add a new air filter while you are at it?

More pics and write-up on my site.
Old 02-07-2005, 08:15 AM

Yes...

Yes... getting a new Amsoil to put in and installing the AirRaid MIT (go all the way is my way of doing things). Thanks for all the feedback. Was wondering if anyone had done a dyno test but it sounds like there's not that big of a difference. Thanks!
Old 02-07-2005, 08:50 AM

definitely in my opinion is not worth it...Did not feel any performance increases....and I suspect it burned my catalytic converter
Old 02-07-2005, 11:34 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Now how would it burn your cat converter up?
Old 02-07-2005, 12:19 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by ColImport
and I suspect it burned my catalytic converter

where can I get the Amsoil filter on the cheap?
Old 02-07-2005, 12:57 PM

I could sell you mine. 20,000k needs to be cleaned and I have a brand new bottle of recharge oil.
Old 02-07-2005, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by Ironmike4x4
Now how would it burn your cat converter up?
Well I am not sure a 100% but 2000 miles after doing the deckplate my catalityc converter got messed. I am thinking that by removing it and puting it back on the ecu does not have time to readjust the fuel supply quick and the truck could start running rich. and that could leak into the cat.

Like I said not 100 percent sure but that was the only thing I did to the truck and shortly after the cat was shot. Luckily was replaced under warranty and they did not even notice the deck plate.

Well but really other than learning how to do a simple mod and feeling pride of a well fished job, there were no advantges noticed from the seat of my pants. now it just stays closed all the time.
Old 02-07-2005, 04:38 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well I am not sure a 100% but 2000 miles after doing the deckplate my catalityc converter got messed. I am thinking that by removing it and puting it back on the ecu does not have time to readjust the fuel supply quick and the truck could start running rich. and that could leak into the cat.

Like I said not 100 percent sure but that was the only thing I did to the truck and shortly after the cat was shot. Luckily was replaced under warranty and they did not even notice the deck plate.

Well but really other than learning how to do a simple mod and feeling pride of a well fished job, there were no advantges noticed from the seat of my pants. now it just stays closed all the time.
Oh ok, that makes sense now. Well at least you didnt blow $200 on a K&N intake kit.
Old 02-07-2005, 07:31 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think it was just conicidence. Your rich lean condition is dictated by the output of the Oxygen sensor and if you are over or under 80% throttle.... Check your O2 sensor for proper operation, and or get out of the peddle on the right....

Last edited by Bumpin' Yota; 02-07-2005 at 07:32 PM.
Old 02-07-2005, 08:38 PM
Contributing Member

I have the 6" deckplate on my rig. With the extra 2", I eat SC'd runners for breakfast.
Old 02-08-2005, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by Bumpin' Yota
I think it was just conicidence. Your rich lean condition is dictated by the output of the Oxygen sensor and if you are over or under 80% throttle.... Check your O2 sensor for proper operation, and or get out of the peddle on the right....

I do not really race my truck, I did the deckplate because of desired added towing power but realized it did not make any noticeable difference in power.

I might be wrong but I think a rich condition would be more mandated by the MAF sensor and definitely more airflow coming from the deckplate would get noticed by the MAF and call for more fuel supply, but when you close the deck for any reason it takes some time for the ECU to read from the mass and readjust fuel delivery. Also if the 02 sensors are the ones monitoring rich or lean conditions, my point is that when the deckplate is closed and opened it takes a couple mile cycles to readjust the maps and in the meantime the truck may run lean or rich and in long term it could mess the catalytic convertor.

now that is my theory but I am no mechanic. just for safe insurance I enjoy just doing quality maitainance on my truck with original parts and quality fluids.

IMHO if someone wants more power wait and save for either a SC, headers, cams..etc instead of waisting time on useless mods as the deckplate.

I did learn by doing the mod though anything working on my truck is entertaining , but the only way to learn is to try different things. I couldn't wait to get the deckplate mod done but after all I think it was not worth the performance it promissed.
Old 02-08-2005, 11:21 AM
Contributing Member

How is the deckplate mod useless at a dyno-proven 5HP gain? And you are the only person who ever went through a cat and blamed it on the deckplate. Not saying you are wrong, because anything is possible...but seriously, something doesn't add up here.
Old 02-08-2005, 11:24 AM
Contributing Member

With all the deckplated Runners and Tacomas on this board (and others) has anybody posted any issues with the cat? I've never read any.
Old 02-08-2005, 12:00 PM

I thought it was not dyno proved. if so I would like to see the dyno print out where it says 5hp to the weels because I could not find it myself.

I said that it was just a hypothesis in regards to the cat, but my reasoning behind the theory is not totally non-sense, if it is, well tell me where is that I am wrong because I would like to learn as much as I can.

I have seen many posts of burned cats on here so I would not say that burning a cat is something uncommon on this forum, now wheather if the deckplate mod or other air flow mods are to blame or not its hard to prove, also maybe many people do not take the time to analyze why the cat burned.

the deckplate might not be useless but I personally did not feel any difference from the seat of my pants and I did it the same way I read on the writeups. So for me a mod that promises HP's that I can not notice is somewhat useless. Like I said it gave me satisfaction of adding a mod because I am new into this and get very excited by simple things.

Did not mean to offend anyone I am just expressing my personal opinions
Old 02-08-2005, 12:31 PM
Contributing Member

I thought it was not dyno proved. if so I would like to see the dyno print out where it says 5hp to the weels because I could not find it myself.
http://www.gadgetonline.com/airinduction.htm
Old 02-08-2005, 12:52 PM

thanks for the source....well then it adds 5 HP's, maybe I am the exception but I did not feel the added power so it did not give me the satisfaction I thought I would get.

if wanted real (Noticeable) power I would add a sc,fuel mods,headers, or cams

in conclusion the trade off between 5hp (that I couldn't notice) Vs altering the original parts and possibility of some long term damage, was not worth to me.

Quick Reply: 4" Deckplate vs. 6" Deckplate