Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

3vze please help!

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2004, 03:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 3vze please help!

Yo toyota people!

I have a 1994 4x4 pickup with 3vze motor and manual tranny. I just replaced the timing belt, inserted a repair sleeve on to the crankshaft, replaced the front crankshaft seal, water pump, thermostat and all the gaskets.

I put everything back together and my truck is unhappy. She has a very low idle and stalls when I give it any gas at all.

On reassembly, I lined up the marks on the R&L cam and crank sprockets, mounted the new timing belt, installed the tensioner and rotated the crank once to check that the marks continued to line up after a full revolution. All seemed good to go...

I realize now, that I installed the belt so that the marks on the belt matched the marks on the cams, but unfortunately, I put the R-Cam mark on the cam to my right as I was working on the truck.

I realize this was incorrect now, but is this my problem? Is my timing belt off a tooth? Is there something else that I may have done wrong which could be causing this problem?

I would appreciate any assistance you could point my way. I need to get my rig back on the road!!!!!Thank you! JD.
Old 12-04-2004, 07:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jdevall
Yo toyota people!

I have a 1994 4x4 pickup with 3vze motor and manual tranny. I just replaced the timing belt, inserted a repair sleeve on to the crankshaft, replaced the front crankshaft seal, water pump, thermostat and all the gaskets.

I put everything back together and my truck is unhappy. She has a very low idle and stalls when I give it any gas at all.

On reassembly, I lined up the marks on the R&L cam and crank sprockets, mounted the new timing belt, installed the tensioner and rotated the crank once to check that the marks continued to line up after a full revolution. All seemed good to go...

I realize now, that I installed the belt so that the marks on the belt matched the marks on the cams, but unfortunately, I put the R-Cam mark on the cam to my right as I was working on the truck.

I realize this was incorrect now, but is this my problem? Is my timing belt off a tooth? Is there something else that I may have done wrong which could be causing this problem?

I would appreciate any assistance you could point my way. I need to get my rig back on the road!!!!!Thank you! JD.
To see if your timing is off, get the #1 cyl. to TDC and pop off your dist.cap and make sure that it is pointing to the #1 cyl., if not your timing is off; also, check your timing with your "te" & "e1" jumped. Put a timing light on her and you'll also see if it is not timed correctly! It sounds like you t-belt is off a toothe unfortunetly! Don't forget to pull your "efi" fuse for around 30 seconds for your ecu to relearn itself!
Good Luck!
Old 12-04-2004, 08:09 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
sounds like a tooth is off on the tbelt. Take a hard look at the triangle on each cam vs the mark on the rear timing cover behind both cams. Then make sure that the crank gear notch lines up with the upper notch on the oil pump seal housing.

Also check to see that nothing is binding anywhere...

It's very rare for something like the TPS or the timing of your distributor to change or go bad when you never touched it....

Originally Posted by jdevall
...inserted a repair sleeve on to the crankshaft, replaced the front crankshaft seal...
btw - What is a repair sleeve for the crankshaft?

Crankshaft seal = front oil pump seal that is just outside of the crank?
Old 12-05-2004, 08:40 AM

thanks guys,

This list sure is helpful! i borrowed a timing light last evening and will go check it out this morning before tearing back into the timing belt.

When I said I replaced the crankshaft seal, I am referring to the seal behind the crank timing sprocket which runs the timing belt.

Sometimes when the seal is leaking, it has actually worn into the crankshaft, if only a teenie bit. The repair sleeve slips onto the crankshaft behind the sprocket to create a new surface for the seal to seat on.

rock on, Judd.
Old 12-05-2004, 08:45 AM

thanks I'll try the timing light.

thanks guys,

this list sure is helpful. I borowed a timing light last evening and will try it out before tearing back into the belt.

when I say the crankshaft seal, I am referring to the seal behind the crankshaft sprocket which drives the timing belt.

The crankshaft repair sleeve slips over the crankshaft to create a fesh surface for the seal to seat on. There was slight wear from the seal into the crankshaft,

rock out, Judd.
Old 12-06-2004, 04:06 AM

the cam belt pulleys are interchangeable.When i did my headgasket the last guy in there had them on reversed,but the truck was running well before,so i left them that way.