Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

3rd Gen Wet Carpet Help

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2005, 06:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3rd Gen Wet Carpet Help

Ok, I am in the need of some help, and I was hoping someone could help me here. Just alittle information. I have a 2002 4Runner Sport, with a sunroof. It rained approximately 11" this past Saturday. With that information, I will now ask for help.

I opened my door today to a very strong, pungent odor. After airing it out, I wrote it off to just it being so humid outside. After driving alittle, the odor kicked back up and I could smell it as I drove. I then opened the "cover" to my sunroof and the odor almost knocked me over, it was very very strong in that space between the cover and the sunroof glass itself. The odor smells like a very very very strong musky smell, even like an adhesive or glue. I drove home and "aired" the car out. After doing some investigation, I found the driver's side carpet underneath the mats soaked, almost dripping wet. I lifted the carpet and felt the padding and it was also soaked. It is most wet near the sill of the floor, near the door and works it way in. It is also moist in the rear as well. Mostly on the driver's side. I tried to dry it the best I could in the little time I had, and went back to work. After work, the smell was still there. I open the doors and it dissipates and goes away. But as soon as I drive, I can smell the odor. Also, it is the worst when I open the sunroof inside cover.

After talking to a salesman and windshield guy (I thought the windshield could be the culprit) they seem to think that the drains for the sunroof are "clogged". I am not sure how they work or where they run, but my imagination has them running in the "A" post of the car. This is where I need help. Here are my questions:

1. Could this be the reason for the soaked carpet, if so, why?
2. Why would the carpet be soaked if it were clogged.
3. How do I fix this problem?
4. What is the smell and why do I have it?
5. Why can I smell it when I drive and why is it strongest when I open the sunroof cover?
6. How can I dry the carpet so no mold or mildew grows?
7. How do I get rid of the smell?
8. Could something else be the reason for the smell and wetness?

Again, thank you for the help in advance. I am very stressed about this, because I don't want this to happen everytime it rains. Also, this is the first "real" rain I had since I purchased the vehicle. I don't want this odor either, because it gives me a headache just driving with it for 5 minutes. Any help would be great. Thank you.

Ryan
Old 10-11-2005, 06:51 PM

You can do this I have no problems Floor
I have my interior waterproofed, ECU, Alarm, etc.
Sorry I'm not much help. I know that a lot of people have had there sunroof drain clog and it causes water to get into the vehicle, as far as the smell I can only say to get steam cleaner use a lot of baking soda and laundry detergent and then let it air out quick.
Old 10-11-2005, 06:53 PM
Contributing Member

Lee had this same problem earlier in the week. His drains were in fact clogged, and they just needed to be blown out with air.

I had a similiar problem..and the only way to get rid of my massive odor/mold was to completely remove the carpet from the truck, shampoo it, and let it dry. I had to replace the carpet padding as well.

Good luck, I know how it is.
Old 10-11-2005, 07:11 PM
Contributing Member

Yea, I had this problem too. On my 4Runner water was pooling down by my feet when it rained. It turns out my sunroof drains were clogged. I took it to the dealer and they shot some compressed air into and cleared them out.
Old 10-11-2005, 07:14 PM
Contributing Member

Jeff,
Can you please share how you waterproofed your electronics? I see it looks like you Line-Xed or Rhino Lined your floor boards. Thanks.

Originally Posted by cubuff4runner
You can do this I have no problems Floor
I have my interior waterproofed, ECU, Alarm, etc.
Sorry I'm not much help. I know that a lot of people have had there sunroof drain clog and it causes water to get into the vehicle, as far as the smell I can only say to get steam cleaner use a lot of baking soda and laundry detergent and then let it air out quick.
Old 10-11-2005, 07:33 PM

Ok, now I have another set of questions for you. First, how do I get to these drains and what do they look like. I can get some compressed air, so I am hoping that I can do that myself. Another question is, how come since they clog, the water comes into the cab, why does this happen? How do I clean them out, just shoot some air into them? How do I know they are clear. Lastly, is this the reason I have the horrible odor and what is the odor? Thanks so far.

Gapguy, I searched for a post on Lee's problem but couldn't find one, did he have a post on this? Thanks.

Ryan
Old 10-11-2005, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by Roadrunner
Jeff,
Can you please share how you waterproofed your electronics? I see it looks like you Line-Xed or Rhino Lined your floor boards. Thanks.
I herculined the whole floor and then installed drains under the floorboards and seats. I took out all of the electronics boxes(ecu, etc.) and siliconed all of the seams and reinstalled them. I also bought some electronics silicone, which is basically like regular silicone, but only dries part way so it seals the connections, but they can still be pulled apart. I then put in the wet okoles. Every time I go to the car wash I spray inside and it is clean in a few seconds, mud and all drains out.
Old 10-11-2005, 08:45 PM
lee
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by celica
Lee's problem was the AC drain was clogged.
yup.

question for ya btown: you sure it isnt coming from the a/c vent by your feet?
Old 10-12-2005, 04:55 AM

Originally Posted by lee
yup.

question for ya btown: you sure it isnt coming from the a/c vent by your feet?
Lee, it could be. Can you let me know what to check for as well as fix the problem? Did you have a strong odor from that? Any help would be great. Thanks.
Old 10-12-2005, 04:59 AM
lee
Contributing Member

i didnt have an odor cause i caught it really fast and vaccuumed the water out of the carpet all the time.

to see if its coming from there (you should know just by driving around), go to a large empty parking lot, get some speed going straight, and pull sharp turns, basically doing donuts (circles).

turning right should shoot water all over your feet, so you will notice it. turning left shoots a smaller amount of water to the pass. side footwell...
Old 10-12-2005, 05:00 AM
lee
Contributing Member

i got it fixed free at the dealership... yes, thats right, free.

i finally found a dealership here (toyota of watertown) that isnt trying to rape me.
Old 10-12-2005, 08:03 AM

Oh, ok. Thanks. That must not be the problem, I didn't get wet feet and the 4Runner was sitting all day. The carpet padding is what got wet and it soaked up through the carpet. Thanks for your help. As we speak the vehicle sits in a garage with the carpet pulled up and fans blowing in there. I also used some air to clean out the drains and they were clear. Thanks again for your help everyone!
Old 10-12-2005, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by gapguy
I had to replace the carpet padding as well.
Where did you find carpet padding? Did you go to a flooring/carpet store and replace w/household padding? Just curious b/c my rear cargo area got soaked over the summer and the padding is what gives off the nasty musty smell. I pulled the carpet, dried it very well, but still have a bit of this stench. I need to replace my padding as well and I'm not sure where to find padding. I was going to try a local carpet store for remenants.
Old 10-12-2005, 04:36 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by BTOWN4RUNNER
Oh, ok. Thanks. That must not be the problem, I didn't get wet feet and the 4Runner was sitting all day. The carpet padding is what got wet and it soaked up through the carpet. Thanks for your help. As we speak the vehicle sits in a garage with the carpet pulled up and fans blowing in there. I also used some air to clean out the drains and they were clear. Thanks again for your help everyone!

Did you get your problem fixed? I've been following this thread since I have noticed in my 02 that the Drivers side Safety belt feels damp after a good rain. Truck is garaged at night but sits out at work during the day. It feels slightly damp on the part that is recoiled into the B-pillar. Carpet is not wet or damp anywhere and I have checked several times...Passenger side belt or carpet is not damp at all. It's dry when it doesn't rain so humidity is not a problem.

I have read some other postings about the door seals being loose on another thread. I have checked mine and they are loose at the top on the rear doors. Not sure if this will help you or not but it's something that you can check. Mine is loose at the top of both rear doors, toward the back of the frame of the door. The weather stripping just pushes up back to where it should be.

Anybody else have this problem and how can it be fix'd?
Old 10-12-2005, 04:41 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by KGnagey
Where did you find carpet padding?
I just got it from a local auto upholstry store.
Old 10-13-2005, 04:26 AM

Originally Posted by THUNDER CLOUD
Did you get your problem fixed? I've been following this thread since I have noticed in my 02 that the Drivers side Safety belt feels damp after a good rain. Truck is garaged at night but sits out at work during the day. It feels slightly damp on the part that is recoiled into the B-pillar. Carpet is not wet or damp anywhere and I have checked several times...Passenger side belt or carpet is not damp at all. It's dry when it doesn't rain so humidity is not a problem.

I have read some other postings about the door seals being loose on another thread. I have checked mine and they are loose at the top on the rear doors. Not sure if this will help you or not but it's something that you can check. Mine is loose at the top of both rear doors, toward the back of the frame of the door. The weather stripping just pushes up back to where it should be.

Anybody else have this problem and how can it be fix'd?
My belts were not wet, but the carpet was soaked. I pulled up the carpet as much as I could and found the padding to be soaked. With this being said, I would have to guess the water is coming in the way described today. You may also have this problem, but the water is coming in through the B post, instead of the A post. You should probably just blow out your drains to be safe.

Goodluck!
Old 10-13-2005, 06:02 PM
Contributing Member

My belts were not wet, but the carpet was soaked. I pulled up the carpet as much as I could and found the padding to be soaked. With this being said, I would have to guess the water is coming in the way described today. You may also have this problem, but the water is coming in through the B post, instead of the A post. You should probably just blow out your drains to be safe.

Goodluck!
Thanks...Good advise I'm sure...How many PSI did you use?

There is another thread where someone here has had their interior out and claims the drain tube in our 02's are conected to the cuts in our back side window molding. I don't have any problem believing that. I have seen those weep holes drain after it has stopped raining.

Here is my question...You jump in your truck when it's raining and drive as usual...water will drain to the back until you step on the brakes and then everything goes to the front...what happens to the water? Wouldn't there have to be four drain tubes...two front and two back? I have a hard time believing that two drain tubes in the back would get the job done. For example: what about people who park front end downhill in a rain storm...

Sorry to make this "Long Winded" but have you noticed those two small holes in your door moldings on the front doors about 11:00 oclock in the door frame? Both those holes on each side will weep water when you brake in the rain.

Any Toyota Tech's out there to answer this question?
Old 11-11-2009, 07:48 PM

Unhappy my carpet is soaked

So my carpet is soaked and i pulled it out. It seems that there was a pool of water around where the seatbelt meets the floor. I can't figure out how or where to clean my sunroof drains. I drive a 93 4runner. please PM me!

Old 11-14-2009, 06:37 PM

when i sunk my taco i found out that when u take the carpet out spray a few bottles of ferbreeze *spelling* this stuff works wonders
Old 11-27-2009, 12:26 PM

i have a 93 pickup couple of weeks ago when it rained hard i didnt drive for 3 days. when i finally drove and braked tons of water came to my feet so i went back home and took out the carpet and washed it. so ive been driving with no carpet for about two weeks and water is still coming in. so do the pickups have a drain in the sunroof too

Quick Reply: 3rd Gen Wet Carpet Help