95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

3.4 troubles and codes - gurus needed

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 04:29 PM

Received 273 Likes on 184 Posts
3.4 troubles and codes - gurus needed

hey guys ...

lookin' for some other options ...
some of you may know , I have been building a Trekker with a SC 3.4L ... you can see it here https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f114...-build-131775/

anyway .. engine is in , SC is on , and runs pretty good , but RICH .. very rich ..

getting a code P0110 Air Intake Temp. sensor 1 circut ... which from what I understand this sensor is incorporated in the MASS ..

I replaced the MASS with another .. and same symptom , same code .. cleaned both .. same thing with both .

I have also pulled out code P0172 = system running to rich bank 1 . and P0100 Mass or volume air flow A circut .

so I'm totally confused now ?

I'm going to check harness integrety , dont think this is it , but I will check it to the computer plug .. then the computer is the last option , but ... no test -- correct ? just replace .

hoping someone has some insite to help me please .

Old 06-16-2009, 04:52 PM

Old 06-16-2009, 05:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have you done any fuel mods, piggy back computers? Does it smell rich?
Old 06-16-2009, 05:13 PM

no piggy backs .. no URD fuel upgrades .. STOCK setup .
before the supercharger install .. even then it was running rich .. in the vid you can see the smoke ..

Old 06-16-2009, 05:14 PM

P0100 Mass or volume air flow A circut
P0110 Air Intake Temp. sensor 1 circut
This code sounds like wiring not plugged in or incorrect. Having it not plugged may cause it to run rich by default.

Link to Factory Service Manuals
http://ncttora.com/fsm/index.html
Old 06-16-2009, 05:46 PM

yes .. this is the next check ...

harness is "pluged in " correctly .. tight and "clicked" into place ..

I will check it's integerety , but as I said .. I dont think this is the problem !

Old 06-16-2009, 06:49 PM

Well this may be a long shot, but Ill throw it out there for you. Are you using the correct O2 sensors? meaning sensors for whatever year/model truck the motor came out of. Did the motor and ECU come from the same truck?
Old 06-16-2009, 07:37 PM

thanks ...

o2 sensors are correct .. infact I have used the original header pipe and cat from the original 4 runner . motor was from a 4Runner (ATM) but I got the MTM harness and computer from the same year Tacoma . All plug and play !

only differance is the crossover pipe exhausting on the L side instead of the R ..

Old 06-17-2009, 05:42 AM

What year were they? Any way you can find out if either of them were cali models? I believe there were a few differences in the O2 sensor setup between 4runners and Tacos, at least some of the years. Also a difference between cali models and 49state trucks. Is it possible that the ECU is looking for a different type of signal from the O2 sensor? I really dont know that this could cause the problem your having. Im not sure how the ECU works with the O2 sensors and how they really differ on signal. I know some of them were wideband type O2 sens and some wereee older style "narrow band" types. I believe 99-00 is when it started to change over.

Again, Im no guru and dont know for sure if this would cause your troubles. Just trying to help.
Old 06-18-2009, 12:09 PM

I had this code pop up the other day. I believe that this code comes up when you have a bad ground in the circuit. The FSM says to check all grounds for opens in the Circuit. When my 4R codded for this it was because I forgot to re-connect the ground on the intake manifold after changing my plug wires. Here is a link to the FSM page that covers this code.

http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/1996/SIL/...fe/cip0110.pdf

Worst case scenario is that you have a bad ECU, hopefuilly that's not the issue.
Old 06-18-2009, 04:44 PM

thanks ... that will halp alot ...
so in doing some checking/research , I have found that the O2 sensors are different between the ATM , and MTM trannies ... ?

I always thought an o2 was an o2 !!
so I'm just trying to find out what is the differance ...

O2 sensor ATM 89465-35580 Rear and 89465-39835 front
O2 sensor MTM 89465-39855 Rear and 89465-39895 front

I'm hoping there is some other differance other the cord length ?

Old 06-18-2009, 04:51 PM

Wow, I did not know they were diff between tranny type. Just some differences from 4runner to Taco and with the years. They can never make it easy on ya
Old 06-19-2009, 06:34 AM

yeah , I dont know what the differance is , but I'm going to find out .

I have 2 computers coming & 2 MTM o2 sensors coming ..
Old 06-19-2009, 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by Doddy
I had this code pop up the other day. I believe that this code comes up when you have a bad ground in the circuit. The FSM says to check all grounds for opens in the Circuit. When my 4R codded for this it was because I forgot to re-connect the ground on the intake manifold after changing my plug wires. Here is a link to the FSM page that covers this code.

http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/1996/SIL/...fe/cip0110.pdf

Worst case scenario is that you have a bad ECU, hopefuilly that's not the issue.

the ground wire you mentioned , is part of the harness .. correct ? or is it a seperate ground ?

Old 06-19-2009, 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by slacker
the ground wire you mentioned , is part of the harness .. correct ? or is it a seperate ground ?

When my truck coded for this it was because I forgot to re-attach a ground to the intake manifold after I changed my plug wires. There are a few different grounds in that circuit that could cause an open loop. If you have a scanner then the FSM has directions on how to diagnose if you have a bad MAF, or ECM.
Old 06-19-2009, 07:25 AM

The ground issue is a good call too. I forgot to reconnect the ground for the diagnostic plug and got several codes...although I dont remember what they were.
Old 06-21-2009, 05:31 PM

so i'm running out of options ... and I still dont know what is wrong !!! VERY frusterating .. and I dont want to do this anymore !!!!
I spent about 3 hrs today on the "check engine" and I'm almost ready to admit defeat ..

I have talked to a buddy of mine (All Toy , in Kamloops ) and he got a rig in there shop , basically with the same symptoms .. he asked me to let them know whats up !!

anyway ..

I got the new/used MTM O2 sensors .. and as I suspected . the wire length is different .. so hence the part # change .. (I guess) installed = NO differance .

checked wire harness integetry between MASS and computer = contenuity OK on all 5 wires . Harness is good .

also checked computer values as per "diagnosis" in manual ..THA + E2 pins .05~3.5ohms @20*C all with in value .
suggest pins are ok .. I didnt get to operating temp. and check values .. lost hope here >

I'm realy lost here now .. and almost ready to give up !!
considering removing the check engine light bulb , and compensating the TPS .. or something stupid like that !!!!

I dont get it .. everyone elses swap seems to go so simple .. what the hell !!!!
Old 06-21-2009, 07:01 PM

Dont get discouraged...its the same for me. Projects always seem easier for everyone else!

I am still curious about your ECU. What year/model was the engine from and what year/model is the ECU?

Also, at the risk of stating the obvious....have you tried cleaning the MAF? I believe the AIT sens is located with the MAF. Also check ALL grounds (related or not...hey we are grasping at straws here right?) Like I said, A bad ground at my diagnostics plug threw all kinds of funny codes and the motor ran all kinds of bad. I know it sounds like I am oversimplifying things here, but I am. This is usually where I tend to find my goof-ups.

I hope you get it worked out man. I just browsed over your build thread, and I am impressed. thats a lot of work you put into that thing. And its freakin sweet!
Old 06-21-2009, 07:32 PM

dude .. thanks alot .. your being a GREAT help here in "making" me continue ... if not just to "bounce" ideas off of .. but actually suggesting ideas to me !! I thank you humbly .

Hard grounds I have made myself .. One from the body to the A/C pump mount (grounding head) 2nd ground from the firewall to the valve cover grounding the coils 3rd .. engine mount to block .

only other grounds I can figure are in the circut itself ..

correct me PLEASE .. if I am wrong ..

I have checked over the wire harness , and I dont see any other grounds I could have missed , and as far as the harness grounds are concerned .. all circuts have tested ok .

I have an ATM computer I would like to check out ... but I need to figiure out the nutral safty switch pins , so I can fire it .. man I hate this !!!

Last edited by slacker; 06-21-2009 at 07:34 PM.
Old 06-21-2009, 08:36 PM

do you have any close up pics of the maf itself? from the build thread it almost looks different than the one in my 2000, not sure when or if it changed. Also even if the electronics are the same if the housing size changed, it will have this effect. the other thing that comes to mind is make sure the fuel pressure is correct, and you have no air leaks past the maf. i know the stock intake has some vac ports in it, and didn't see any in your set up. I need to read through the whole build thread though.

Quick Reply: 3.4 troubles and codes - gurus needed