Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

3.0L starter troubles

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2003, 05:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3.0L starter troubles

Once again I have an issue with my 90 4 runner. I get in and turn the key to start it. The dash lights come on, I hear a single click, the volt meter showes a drop in voltage at this point, and when the starter is supposed to turn, it does nothing. I thought, ok, ive read about the contact issues before. I keep trying to start the 4 runner, and after about 15 twists of the key, the starter spins and it fires up. It starts fine the rest of the day. I go by toyota, get the contacts for the starter, pull the starter and replace them and sand paper the plunger disk. I put it all back together. It starts like a champ. I think all is well. The wife runs some errands and later tells me it is doing that with her again. She had to twist the key about 4 times on 2 occaisions yesterday. So the contact replacement did not fix this problem. Im thinking loose wires or something. The battery as best I can tell is in good shape and spins the engine fast when it engages. What do I need to look into now? Fuses, connectors, relays anything. Thanks guys.
Old 10-27-2003, 05:57 AM

Sounds like a starter solenoid but I'm guessing here. Isn't the solenoid built into the starter?
Old 10-27-2003, 06:14 AM

That problem sounds familliar... I had the same problem with my 3.0 in my P/U. I replaced the contacts, put in a brand new plunger and the truck started fine for about a week and a half, then the problems came back. I ended up having to put a new starter in the truck and it works great now. You might want to consider a new starter.

Eric
Old 10-27-2003, 06:35 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The problem is probably in the wiring to the starter. That single, thin wire has degraded over time and now has trouble carrying enough juice to fully activate the plunger. I'm guessing you don't have a starter relay, since you have any automatic. If you do, replace it (I suggest aftermarket - OEM = $$$). If not, add one - use that single wire going to the starter as your activation wire. Run your switched wires directly from the battery to the starter.
Old 10-27-2003, 08:14 AM
Contributing Member

'New' Starter?

When the starter in my '89 truck (3.0 V-6) started acting up, I had a remanufactured Toyota starter installed. Works like a charm.
Probably not what you want to hear, but purchasing a complete remanufactured starter might be the solution.
Jim
Old 10-27-2003, 08:32 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
I did the same as Jim, went with the remanufactured one from Toyota 3 years back.
Mine was doing the same thing Willie by taking several tries to get the starter to even click.

When you keep the key on, it warms up the contacts, then it starts.

But since you have done the contacts already, it's a mystery.
Perhaps check that wire like mtn suggested.

By the way, the remanufactured one ran me $199, and $100 labor.
Don't ever buy an aftermarket starter.
Many have reported on forums that they exercise the lifetime warranty several times that come with those cheap starters, as they don't last like an OEM one does.
Old 10-27-2003, 08:51 AM

I had this exact problem also. The Runner had a battery that was only 3 months old so I replaced the contacts also. BTW, don't all Toyota's use this same built in soleniod on the starter? The contacts helped but the problem persisted. It ended up the battery had a bad cell that was intermittent. I replaced the battery and it worked fine. I would try to stay with the OEM/remanufactured starter if possible. The aftermarket ones I've put on friends Toyota's didn't last long at all. Mine has over 200,00 miles and I've only replaced contacts once.
Another thing to check (if you have a manual) is the switch on the clutch that prevents the starter from turning unless its pushed. The one on my sister in laws Tacoma had come loose and it had these same intermittent starting problems.
It seems when I rebuilt mine I also took apart the starter motor and was very dirty.
For anyone rebuilding there starter check out http://4crawler.cruiserpages.com/4x4.../Starter.shtml . He also has links to 4x4 wire and off-road.coms starter repair.
Old 10-28-2003, 04:55 AM

I just got a reman Nippondenso starter from Advance Auto parts for my 89 Supra - same as would have come from the dealer

I paid $70 (plus core) and did it myself.