Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

2004 Tacoma REAR shock install q's...

Old 07-13-2007, 01:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 Tacoma REAR shock install q's...

I installed some new Bilsteins on the back end my 4x4 Tacoma. The driver side one went in OK, but I could not for the life of me get the lower end of the passenger side shock to slide onto the mount. I was short one ES bushing, so I had to re-use one of the factory ones.

I "solved" the problem with a BFH and a 27mm socket, but used the old split bushing in the process (plus the bushing is no longer centered in the 'eye' of the shock). I have a set of ES bushings on order to swap in, but what's the RIGHT way to get that pass. side shock off without hurting it and then back ON without hurting the new bushing?

I lubed and greased everything the first time, but apparently that didn't help. I tried moving the axle up and down, compressing the shock, etc. It was just a complete and total failure and I'm ticked.

Last edited by obscurotron; 07-14-2007 at 07:41 AM.
Old 07-13-2007, 01:53 PM
Contributing Member

I had a similar prob on my 99 Tacoma on the same side. What I did was take a drill bit (can't remember what size) that was just slightly larger than the diameter of the post and ream out the bushing a little. Put a little white grease on the post, and with a little encouragement, it went right on. Never had a problem with it after that.
Old 07-13-2007, 02:14 PM

You know, I never thought about doing that, since the D/S went on OK, and coring it out seems counter to the purpose of the bushing.

But, I think I like your idea. Now I just need a drill bit slightly larger than 3/4" (or a round taper file).

Of course I had to pound off the old shocks, so I'm worried about getting this GOOD shock off without hurting it.

Originally Posted by Tacoclimber
I had a similar prob on my 99 Tacoma on the same side. What I did was take a drill bit (can't remember what size) that was just slightly larger than the diameter of the post and ream out the bushing a little. Put a little white grease on the post, and with a little encouragement, it went right on. Never had a problem with it after that.
Old 07-13-2007, 02:24 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by obscurotron
You know, I never thought about doing that, since the D/S went on OK, and coring it out seems counter to the purpose of the bushing.

But, I think I like your idea. Now I just need a drill bit slightly larger than 3/4" (or a round taper file).

Of course I had to pound off the old shocks, so I'm worried about getting this GOOD shock off without hurting it.
If you can get the box end of a wrench between the axle and the shock "eye", and with the top mount undone and the top of the shock free to be moved back and forth, you might try using the wrench as a lever, while moving the shock back and forth. It might just be enough to work it back off the post. IIRC, that's what I did to get the old shocks off of my 99...
Old 07-20-2007, 06:36 AM

I'm posting a follow-up for anyone who ever comes across this.

I used a valve spring compressor as a small puller. I removed the bolt holding on the shock on the end in question (bottom passenger side mount). I removed the factory washer/spacer, then put the bolt back in 3 or 4 turns.

I put a 15mm socket in the "forks" of the valve spring compressor (the part that would normally ride on the top of the spring if you were using it for its intended purpose), with the 3/8" drive end facing the head of the bolt. I used the jaws on the puller to pull the shock eye off the bushing. Then, remove the bolt and the bushing.

I used a small piece of 2x4 and a large c-clamp to seat the new bushing in the now-dangling shock. Then I slathered the inside of the bushing and the shock mount with dish soap. Compress the shock with your arm enough to get the bushing started on the bottom mount (I only got mine on 1/4 - 1/2"). If you gooped it up well with the dishsoap, 3 or 4 taps with a rubber mallet will send it home.

Wipe of the excess dish soap that will ooze and drip out, reinstall the washer and bolt, torque to 54 ft-lb, and you're done.

Total time - 15 minutes.

Originally Posted by Tacoclimber
If you can get the box end of a wrench between the axle and the shock "eye", and with the top mount undone and the top of the shock free to be moved back and forth, you might try using the wrench as a lever, while moving the shock back and forth. It might just be enough to work it back off the post. IIRC, that's what I did to get the old shocks off of my 99...