Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

2004 SR5 4x4 - Buying Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2004, 08:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2004 SR5 4x4 - Buying Question

Hello! I'm looking at buying a new 2004 SR5 4x4 - my question: I like the 3rd row and I like the moonroof but stock options don't allow a person to get both direct from Toyota. I hear I can get a moonroof added as a aftermarket option (dealership or retail) but I don't want to decrease the structural integrity or do something I will regret. Anybody got any experience with this or opinions they want to voice?
Old 03-05-2004, 09:15 AM
lee
Contributing Member

dealer installed moonroofs are not bad at all -- i have some friends that have done it before and its no problem... no hard to the structural integrity at all.

why cant you get the moonroof from the factory??

and ditch the 3rd row.. i think thats the worst new item in the 4th gens -- the runner is not supposed to be a minivan.
Old 03-05-2004, 11:47 AM

Thanks for the reply. Don't know why you can't get both options at the same time - just can't without hearing "aftermarket" or "can't do it".

As for the 3rd row - it's all about practicality. I hang onto my cars around 6 years each. Plus I'm marrierd and probably going to have kids in the few years. Figure some extra room for a few more friends or family for short intown trips isn't bad - especially if it helps resale value.

Anybody want to add an opionion on the new generation / body style 4 runners vs. the 3rd generation? I dislike the new rear bumper... Doesn't look as solid.
Old 03-05-2004, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by BrianWNC1
Hello! I'm looking at buying a new 2004 SR5 4x4 - my question: I like the 3rd row and I like the moonroof but stock options don't allow a person to get both direct from Toyota. I hear I can get a moonroof added as a aftermarket option (dealership or retail) but I don't want to decrease the structural integrity or do something I will regret. Anybody got any experience with this or opinions they want to voice?
You can't get both because the headliner is lower with the sunroof and it would make it difficult to get in and out of the rear seats. I would get the factory sunroof and buy an aftermaket seat. I don't like aftermarket sunroofs because they are more prone to leaking. You would probably come out with more money left in your pocket if you got the factory sunroof and aftermarket seat.

My own opinion, if you are going to need that much room, you may want to look at the sequoia. Seating 7 people in a 4 runner could get kind of crowded.
Old 03-05-2004, 12:06 PM
Contributing Member

Have you thought about looking into the sequoia instead? It comes w/ a moonroof (I think) and a 3rd row section...

Another option is to look into the Nissan Armada....

But if you're set on the 4runner, then I'd say get the moonroof and add the 3rd row later on!
Old 03-05-2004, 12:38 PM

Thanks. Sequoia's are nice but that's a little more than I can afford. I love Land Cruisers but their too much also. The early cruisers are a favorite also.

I looked into adding the 3rd row at a later date - it looks like a little bit of a hassel because Toyota doesn't have the 3rd row as a few parts you can add later. To get the same product you'd have to get a new/different second row, make some changes to the floor in the cargo area, change out the side walls in the cargo area to provide the hinge / connection spot. I haven't found a 3rd party dealer with a solution yet either - any recommendations?

One more thing: the other thing the dealer is offering beyond the aftermarket sunroof solutions offered aftermarket leather solutions. Anybody ever had any issues with after market leather?
Old 03-06-2004, 04:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How long you keeping it, if it is a lease go for the sunroof but if your buying it and keeping it longer then 5 years get a factory roof and skip the 3rd row, why not get an AWD Toy Minivan, sounds like you need the seats but not ready to embrace that.

Still don't understand the 3rd Row option, everyone I know removes the 3rd row and does not use it, why would you stick anyone back their, have you thought what a 4 year old would look like after getting rearended, suddenly SUV have no more cushion in the rear, I personally don't think kids or any adults are safe back their mid-size or full-size
Old 03-08-2004, 11:17 AM

I had the dealer add leather to mine, and I think they did an excellent job. The leather to me seems to be of higher quality than stock.
Old 03-08-2004, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by EDGE
How long you keeping it, if it is a lease go for the sunroof but if your buying it and keeping it longer then 5 years get a factory roof and skip the 3rd row, why not get an AWD Toy Minivan, sounds like you need the seats but not ready to embrace that.

Still don't understand the 3rd Row option, everyone I know removes the 3rd row and does not use it, why would you stick anyone back their, have you thought what a 4 year old would look like after getting rearended, suddenly SUV have no more cushion in the rear, I personally don't think kids or any adults are safe back their mid-size or full-size
I second this opinion. If you don't have any kids yet, why bother with squeezing in a third row? I can verify that two kids, both 4 years old, fit fine in the back seat. Then you have all that room in the rear for bikes, luggage, and the mother-in-law!
Old 03-08-2004, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by BrianWNC1
Thanks. Sequoia's are nice but that's a little more than I can afford. I love Land Cruisers but their too much also.
Are you interested in an SR5 or Limited (4Runner)? Price-wise, A well-equipped, base Sequoia is in the same ballpark as a 4Runner Ltd V6. You may want to consider that as an alternate choice. The SEQ was made to compete w/the domestics - same size but cheaper than the LC.