Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

2001 & 2002 4R owners: disabling VSC?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2003, 09:10 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2001 & 2002 4R owners: disabling VSC?

Well, nothing has been mentioned for quite awhile on any of the forums about permanently disabling this little , known as VSC. I'm quite amazed, seeing as how there are so many engine gurus and techies amongst us, though admittedly, there aren't that many of us '01 and '02 owners (relatively) to begin with, so our chances are further reduced. Perhaps the 2003+ 'Runners are the same in this regard, that maybe some of those owners could potentially chime in.

I've never looked into it and always had hoped someone would figure out what would need to be done, so I'm giving this one last gasp. I'm sick of this stupid, stupid thing. Does anyone have any ideas what to look for (wire, fuse, etc.)? Now there is a VSC labeled fuse, but I'm not sure if it's related. Once I find the culprit area, may I borrow a gun from someone?

If no one has any ideas, should I check with a dealership? There have been a couple previous posts and I've had a few email inquiries in addition, so I know I'm definitely not alone. Any thoughts you may have would be appreciated. Perhaps a reward is in order?
Old 11-18-2003, 09:12 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Re: 2001 & 2002 4R owners: disabling VSC?

Originally posted by Darren
Well, nothing has been mentioned for quite awhile on any of the forums about permanently disabling this little , known as VSC. I'm quite amazed, seeing as how there are so many engine gurus and techies amongst us, though admittedly, there aren't that many of us '01 and '02 owners (relatively) to begin with, so our chances are further reduced. Perhaps the 2003+ 'Runners are the same in this regard, that maybe some of those owners could potentially chime in.

I've never looked into it and always had hoped someone would figure out what would need to be done, so I'm giving this one last gasp. I'm sick of this stupid, stupid thing. Does anyone have any ideas what to look for (wire, fuse, etc.)? Now there is a VSC labeled fuse, but I'm not sure if it's related. Once I find the culprit area, may I borrow a gun from someone?

If no one has any ideas, should I check with a dealership? There have been a couple previous posts and I've had a few email inquiries in addition, so I know I'm definitely not alone. Any thoughts you may have would be appreciated. Perhaps a reward is in order?
:pat: so what is a VSC? Is that KFC's older sister?

Old 11-18-2003, 09:14 AM
Contributing Member

VSC IS the Devil, also known as Vehicle Skid Control.
Old 11-18-2003, 10:52 AM
Contributing Member

I busted my hump over this little bugger last winter to no avail. I tried pulling fuses, relays, disconnecting various leads coming of the VSC relay, grounding the 'TRC OFF' pin (similar to Tacos) on the ECU connects, reviewed wire schmatics, etc, etc, etc. Nothing killed the d@$n VSC. No matter what I tried, it seemed to ALWAYS have a redundant/fail safe path because its part of the ABS braking system. Still pisses me off...

The only thing I can think of is to somehow disabling the wheel spin sensors, but I'm not sure how that would effect the overall ABS system since they're essentially one in the same.
Old 11-18-2003, 11:09 AM
Contributing Member

You've tried the most options I've ever heard thrown about. You have also captured our frustration with this worthless system quite well! Thanks for the input. This is good to know, and kind of bad at the same time.

I'm not in the know on the wheel spin sensors and what all of their funtionalities might be, but I would have to assume that would interfere with the TRAC system if disabled somehow, which those of us who are not locked yet would certainly want to avoid.
Old 02-15-2014, 12:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Disengaging VSC/TRAC

I can see I have been preoccupied with life for far too long. This thread is 11 years old and I'll admit it has been a very long time since I have been on the forum. Since this has been a especially fierce winter I have been provoked by the VSC in my '02 to start thinking again about disabling it. I did come across an article written about a mod engineered by Andrea (aowRS). It all sounded good until the cut-off switch was installed and you actually engaged, or disengaged the VSC. All the VSC/TRAC dash lights go on and in order to reverse the procedure you have to go through a procedure of shutting the ignition off, etc. That does not thrill me and quite frankly I would prefer to disengage the VSC permanently -- but not with all the dash lights glaring. Are there any updates on this bugaboo and/or tried and true solutions?

Last edited by ManyMods; 02-15-2014 at 12:24 PM.
Old 02-18-2014, 08:28 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I unplugged the connector on the brake booster to disable the systems and then removed the bulbs for the warning lights! VSC is a terrible system IMO, and I have been very happy after disabling it. It's pretty easy to remove the instrument panel and take out the bulbs.
Old 02-19-2014, 04:46 AM

VSC/TRAC - Lingering Questions

Hi Bugs,
It is nice to get your response to what appears to be a still unresolved matter for many. I appreciate your description of what is working for you, but my cautious nature begs this question: Why if the 'fix' was as simple as unplugging a brake booster connecter did hillbilly go through so many attempts and so much research without finding a satisfactory resolve?
  • Is the fix you described applied to a '01-'02 4Runner?
  • Are there any other owners finding success by simply disconnecting the harness connector?
  • Is there a downside to disconnecting the harness connector and removing the bulbs? I am assuming some trouble codes will not be recognizable.

I would really like to hear from some other owners before I dive into this modification. Are any of the dealers willing to step forward and offer a modification to disengage the VSC/TRAC system?

Thank you all for your time in advance.
Old 02-21-2014, 07:23 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Manymods, I understand your concern. Mine has been unplugged for 18 months now without any issues. Drives just like a vehicle should when a human is in charge instead of a computer. I haven't checked for codes but I'm sure they're there. I don't really care as I know why they're there and it's all completely reversible by just plugging the connector back in. I have been happy with the mod.
Old 02-22-2014, 12:37 PM

Once again I want to thank you for your time responding to me. I appreciate your validation for the 'unplug' solution.

Since this feature is now optional on new vehicles in terms of constant on mode and we all agree that it is down right dangerous, I am just wondering if any dealers have created a disable work around for it. I will check with my dealer when I get a chance but I know they are pretty skittish.
Old 02-22-2014, 12:39 PM

BTW, if anyone is interested, my son is selling his '02 Millennium Silver 4wd Ltd with 138miles in the Las Vegas area if anyone is interested. He's going for a new one and I am so jealous, even though I love mine -- I bought them both at the same time.