Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

1999 4Runner - Key won't turn in ignition

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 12:12 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Toot... Toot... Just kidding (that's me blowing my own horn)

For some a new VIN cut key works and for others it's doesn't but for only a few dollars it's worth it to get one done.

I was also watching Motorweek last week and they mentioned that it's not just the wear and tear of inserting and removing the key that wears things out but also the fact that there's more and more things nowadays (ie: Key FOB's, bottle openers, compasses, extra keys, etc.) hanging off the key ring, and that the added weight is causing premature wear on the tumblers and associated parts. They recommended to have as little keys as possible attached to the ignition key.
Old 06-29-2010, 05:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow - Must be something in the air, as i'm having the same trouble with my key over the last three days. Had the same trouble a few years ago. I had a new key cut with the VIN # and it worked fine until now. I'm going to try the dry lub at lunch, if that doesn't work, will get another key cut tomorrow and if that doesn't work, I guess I will look at the dealership to replace the cylinder. This forum is awesome, as last week it fixed my problem of the "check engine light" and VCR light on. My wife put gas in it last week, so I went out and tightened up the gas cap, took the cables off the battery for a few minutes and walaaa, now more toubles or lights!!!

2002 4Runner
136,000 miles
Old 06-29-2010, 07:31 AM

I have the same problem, but (for now) I just need to turn the key over when it won't turn.
Old 06-29-2010, 09:46 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Mine's been difficult to turn lately too, sometimes the key won't even go in all the way, other times the cylinder won't release the key. Yesterday I went to the dealership and had two keys cut from the VIN, came out and NONE of my keys would turn in the ignition! I jiggled, wiggled, jostled, twisted, got out of the car and pulled my hair out a little, yelled at it, turned the steering wheel all directions, EVERYTHING, and finally got it to turn after about 15 minutes. When I got home I sprayed some PB Blaster in it, worked the key in and out about 10 times, turned the key no problem. I tried my two new keys, they work too. Every now and then it will stick a little like it's not going to turn but breaks loose after a half second, I'm just going to keep spraying a little PB in there and see if that helps, but I'm sure rebuilding the cylinder is going to be in my future anyway.
Old 07-05-2010, 01:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thought I'd share my latest on this bug. I went by the stealership for a couple of gaskets (which they had to order...of course). Anyway, I handed them my registration and had them make a master key for me, since all I've ever had was the valet one anyway. Cost me $8. They key works fine in the door and the glovebox, but it was giving me more trouble in the ignition than the somewhat worn down valet key.

I wonder if I can hand a locksmith my key and the lock cylinder and he can just replace the tumblers? Anybody ever do that?
Old 02-18-2013, 03:24 PM

Having m Same Problem 98 Limited. Called Dealer... They Wanted 415. called local lock Smith and they days if I get a new key cut at dealer he can rebuilt the cylinder for 50 and guarantees it will work. so looking at 70 before taxes (20 for key at dealer) hope it works
Old 02-21-2013, 05:10 PM

New key is working so far. Let's hope it continues to work just got q new key no lock smooth work needed. " so far" . key only cost 5 bucks

Last edited by darkknight1189; 02-21-2013 at 05:12 PM.
Old 09-26-2013, 02:10 PM

Wink

Howdy folks and fellow 4runner lovers!! Once again this forum has helped me resolve an issue and saved me mula! I had the same problem, put auto in park but key would not turn off. I disconnected battery cable and it worked, so I thought, as suggested, about replacing tumbler and or solenoid. However, I decide to spend 2 dollar first on graphite and what ya know, booya problem solved! Did not realize graphite was a powder, so I held all the key holes open and blasted them with powder. It solved my problem and made all my keyholes smooth again. Hope this helps.
Just turned 316,000 and have only had to replace rear axel seal on her after all these years.

4runner for life!
Peace
Old 10-06-2013, 12:23 PM

I had this problem with a newly cut key on my old Toyota pickup. The original worn key always worked fine.

Rich
Old 03-10-2014, 12:34 PM

My particular problem was that the key would not release when I turned off the vehicle. I followed this fix and it turns out that the small switchon the shifter was the problem.
http://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-ge...trol-help.html
Old 03-30-2019, 05:52 AM

So, here it is 2019 and people are still having the same problems. So kudos to Yotatech and all of your comments. They are extremely helpful. If I can add anything to this conversation it's that I've noticed that the cylinder's opening is slanted slightly upward, meaning that perhaps dust gets in there and accumulates as gravity pulls it toward the back of the keyhole. So, maybe a tiny vacuum hose inserted in the keyhole might help clean that out? Or maybe a regular-sized vacuum hose with a lot of suction placed right over the ignition cylinder? Also, in another forum somewhere, a guy said that when your key gets stuck and it's not the steering wheel lock, but rather these issues we all know are not the steering wheel lock, to take the handle end of a screwdriver and tap against the key a couple of times. The two times I've tried this, the key has immediately become unfrozen...Anyway, I haven't yet resorted to a new key, but I thank you kindly for all the great suggestions and tips. Good luck with your 4Runners!
Old 07-14-2019, 03:20 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
My 98 ltd started doing the same. No amount of turning the steering helped. Graphite was not the solution. By accident I found that if I insert the key slowly while twisting, it will work for me every time. Trying to pull the key out slightly after it is fully inserted does NOT work. This suggests that the wear is allowing the key to travel too far into the cylinder. Getting a new key cut is in my future.

Update: Getting a new key cut from the VIN mostly solved it. Turning the new key can sometimes catch slightly, so the cylinder will eventually need to be replaced. A new one is over $200, and would need to be re-keyed.

Last edited by tns1; 08-02-2019 at 06:41 AM.
Old 07-15-2019, 04:24 AM

Originally Posted by tns1
My 98 ltd started doing the same. No amount of turning the steering helped. Graphite was not the solution. By accident I found that if I insert the key slowly while twisting, it will work for me every time. Trying to pull the key out slightly after it is fully inserted does NOT work. This suggests that the wear is allowing the key to travel too far into the cylinder. Getting a new key cut is in my future.
I ended up taking it to a lock smith and getting the cylinder rebuilt and keys recut. It's working fine now. Tapping the side of the key while in the ignition with the butt end of a screwdriver was working though, but I knew it was only a matter of time before that would no longer work. Good luck!
Old 08-02-2019, 06:57 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Has anyone looked to see what style of pins/plates the ignition cylinder uses? I'd rather have them in hand before pulling it out.

Edit: For my 98 4runner, they were TR47 style. Repin/repair here:
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/t.../#post52434624

Last edited by tns1; 12-09-2019 at 06:47 AM.