Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

1998 2.7 l starting issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 03:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
update i tested the vsv at the intake manifold well in between it, then the other one by the charcoal canister and all worked fine.
Old 11-26-2012, 10:46 AM

its been a while since i updated this but I have finally figured out what the problem was with my truck and the no starting issue when hot.

I got a step uncle ( stepdads brother) who lives in Mexico and like many of you know toyota pickups are really really popular over there and he is really well known over there for being a really really good mechanic so the other day my stepdad was helping me diagnose the truck.

We checked the spark, maf, camshaft sensor, crankshaft sensor, injector pulse, ground wires, voltage, well pretty much anything that we thought off but everything tested good even after it was failing to start.

We tested the fuel pressure but we tested it right before the fuel rail which showed perfect readings 36-44 psi when running and 21 psi when engine was off.

We called up my step uncle as soon as i told him the engine i had he told me check the fuel pressure but not at the fuel rail check it before the fuel filter. Thats what we did and to our surprise as soon as we shut the truck down the fuel pressure would go from 21 psi to 0 psi in like 20sec.

Told me to check the charcoal canister and the vsv first all good, right after he told me its the fuel pump and stated that he has had alot of the 1st and 2nd gen tacomas with the coils that had this problem. They would start fine in the morning or when the engine was at normal operating temperature but once warm if you turned it off the truck wouldnt turn back up if you let it sit for too long since the pump was leaking back down and wasnt holding the pressure as well as the pump being bad when warm it didnt have the power to push the fuel up the rail again.

After changing the fuel pump my truck turns on all the time it doesnt hesitate or anything. I really hope this helps others with their problem in these gen trucks.

Ill post up a pic of where he told me to check the fuel pressure at so the rest can check it there too just to see if your problem is the same as mine was. but i checked it on the fuel line thats heading towards the fuel filter its ont he driver side wheel well.
Old 12-05-2012, 08:57 AM

Thank you for posting this thread. I'm having the exact same issue as you were except my engine is a V6 but shouldn't make a difference. Has my mechanic stumped and was wondering how the truck was starting when warm since you replaced the fuel pump.

I've searched about every toyota/tacoma website on the internet and the only common sensor that seems to supposedly fix the problem is the coolant temperature sensor which tested fine on my truck.
Old 12-06-2012, 07:54 PM

my truck starts every time now so I dont get stranded in the store anymore and I dont have to rush pumping gas either. Sorry for the late response. Like I said make sure you check the fuel pressure before the fuel filter because more then likely your fuel filter is stock since the manual says that the filter is suppose to last forever which prevents alot of previous owners(at least in my case) to never change the fuel filter.

I really hope that this thread helps alot more people with this problem because I was like you and I searched all over the net as well as took it to the local toyota dealer here in denver and to a toyota mechanic which the dealer recommended after they didnt find the problem. The mechanic was the same say and was stumped because the truck ran great and had perfect performance for having 180k miles on it.

Make sure you post your update here if this fixes your truck too that way more people can find a solution to this problem since 99% of these threads end up dieing because no one can seem to diagnose the problem.

Also the last picture i posted with the circles drain line from the charcoal canister the fuel line below that is where I checked the fuel pressure.

Last edited by vikkz; 12-06-2012 at 07:59 PM.
Old 12-07-2012, 11:21 AM

hey i appreciate your response and troubleshooting I will be picking my truck up today after having the fuel pump replaced and will know by this weekend if it fixed the warm starting issue
Old 12-07-2012, 07:25 PM

i hope that was your problem too, i know how you feel about having that problem. Remember to change the fuel filter every time you change the fuel pump
Old 12-09-2012, 02:38 PM

Drove the truck around all day today hunting and the truck fired up everytime after replacing the fuel pump.
Old 12-10-2012, 07:21 PM

Good to hear that was your problem too and that its fixed
Old 01-26-2013, 02:57 PM

Thanx for updating the thread with the solution to your problem. I have an 85 SR5 4x4 that has a 3zr 2.7 engine swap. It runs great, but once you turn it off it will not start again unless you let it sit for about 2 hours. It still has the 85 fuel tank and I am hoping that changing the fuel pump will resolve my problem too. Replaced fuel filter and it did not help.

Last edited by FJ_Wilson; 01-26-2013 at 02:59 PM.
Old 06-20-2013, 02:40 PM

The same problem

I'm having the same problem, but...

I've replaced, (sigh), the gas tank, the pickup, the float, the fuel pump, the cold start injector, the fuel filter, (pause for breath) the fuel lines, and the sensors. oh, yeah: And the battery, too, (truth be told, I wanted a Yellow Top, anyway). I've cleaned the injectors and even had a head gasket job along the way, but my '93 3vze only likes to start cold, with the front end facing downhill. Otherwise, I get to prove to everyone around that my starter can turn the engine like a champ for what sounds like 4 3-second bursts of fire.

Oh, well. At least it's paid off.