Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

1997 Camry No Dash, Tail Light, License Plate.

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2016, 08:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1997 Camry No Dash, Tail Light, License Plate.

I apologize for posting this on your SUV and Truck and forum. Toyota 4 runners have very similar wiring and I was hoping you guys could shed some light on an issue I'm having. Someone in the future may be having the same issue, and it would be a great help.

I purchased a 1997 Camry last week during daytime and it ran really really well, and the next day I found out that tail light and dash light don't work. The seller obviously denied, so here I am stuck with this issue.

Description of the problem:

-dash lights do not work
-marker lights do not turn on
-tail lights do not turn on
-license plate do not turn on

-the combination light switch does not work. When I pull back for flasher, the high beam works. When I turn the switch for tail lights and then head lights, the dash and tail do not turn on. The push back for constant high beam does not work. Furthermore, headlights are always on! even in the off setting.

Here's the kicker:
The car has a remote starter. When I press the unlock/lock button on the remote starter, the tail lights, dash lights, everything works. If I am driving, I can pull the e-brake slightly up and hit the unlock button and the dash light/tail light work until I hit the brake pedal or take e-brake down. This works good if i'm on the highway. The permanent high beam setting on combination light switch still does not work if I do this.

I took the car to a mechanic, he identified the problem to be in the combination switch. So I bought a new one and swapped it out. The problem remains. I checked for connectivity at different setting on the old switch with an ohm meter, the old switch was fine. A different mechanic said it was the tail light relay, so he took it out and didn't put it back in the right slots. As I drove home, the car started steaming and overheating because connection somewhere must've fried out the relay preventing the fans from turning on .

So, I purchased all new relays, including tail light relay, and brought the car to where it was... still no dash lights or tail lights. I did not replace the integration relay and the daytime running light relay, because they are ECU's and I couldn't find the daytime one.

Looking at the schematic of the car and how the flash works, the high beam dash indicator works, and there's all new relays. I'm thinking there is likely a problem with the integration ECU relay ? Perhaps the light combination switch is not getting any power ?

What do you guys make of this?
Old 07-04-2016, 11:38 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
I think you have a mess.

some place wires are rubbing

corroded connection some place

something miss wired

Remote starter interface wired wrong.

Shame on you for not checking things out better!!!!

I have never seen A Camry I have no idea
Old 07-21-2016, 11:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Problem Fixed !

This is for anyone reading this in the future is having the same problem.

Toyota's electrical wiring is very similar to each other, but if your dash lights and tail lights are gone but you're absolutely sure that your fuses and relays are all good. Another weird thing that happens with this is, your low beam and permanent high beam don't work. However, your high beam flash works.

If this is the case,

Open up your light switch and check for resistance on the actual switch to make sure it works. This is the first step. If you're confident the switch works, Look on the female clamp to determine which one is ground pin and the dash light and tail pin, and low beam pin. They are beside each other and one of them has green wire.
They should be giving 12 V. The way it works, is when you turn the switch knob it takes that 12 V coming in and grounds it to complete the circuit and thus your tail, dash,license plate, tail light relay get activated. Yes, the tail light relay gets activated after you turn the switch.
I was getting 1.1 V from this green wire, and thus I had discovered the ˟˟˟˟ery in the system.

Why is it 1.1 V and not 12 V?

There is a transistor inside your integration relay that uses smaller voltage to control the bigger voltage. When you changed the radio or did anything electrical without taking battery off (and not shutting headlights off). There was a discharge from the ground up and it damaged electrical equipment that connected things to ground. The transistor got damaged, and is unable to provide to let the full 12 V through.

What do you do?

You change the integration relay. This is located behind the instrumentation panel. There are two really hard to access 10 mm hex nuts at top and one easy to access near the door. It's located on top of the tail light relay. Get part source or Canadian tire to print you a drawing if you can't simply google it.

I bought mine from a local junk yard for $ 20. It was for a different edition and different year model. The number on the relay wasn't the same either. But it worked. The wiring on the inside is the same. Try to get an exact one from ebay, it'll be a better way to go.

Make sure you disconnect battery while doing this. It's a simple swap. And you're done.

Thanks,
Aziz