Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners
Old 03-30-2016, 10:44 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Toyota Tacoma Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

1997 4Runner Odd Problem with Rear Hatch Door Please help

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2009, 11:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1997 4Runner Odd Problem with Rear Hatch Door Please help

I hope someone can help me with thois odd problem. I was moving some things over across the country, my 4runner is Jammed packed with a sofa, and other home items inside the vehicle, the rear seats are folded, and there is pretty much no room to move anything in or out the car, when I got to the destination point I went to open the hatch door on the back of the 4runner, and I heard a snap, and the handle got very loose, and wobly. I think something internal broke. I can't get to the back panel because of so many things in the truck that can't be removed, I can lower down the power window in the hatch and look inside. Is there any way to open the hatch from this possition I'm in, glass lowered and I'm standing outside with no access to the inside. Please help me solve this problem. Thank you
Old 11-17-2009, 02:50 AM

Not looking good. You'll somehow need to get the license plate trim off to work the latch manually. The rear glass down will actually make it harder. if its up, there's more room between the inside and out, plus you're less likely to break it.

Even if by chance you'll be able to get the inside plastics off, the window will be in the way to maunally operate the latch system, UNLESS... you have "go go gadget fingers."

The license plate trim will have to be the sacrificial piece. Expect to by a new one after. If you can somehow save it, consider it a bonus.

GOOD LUCK, and may the schwartz be with you.
Old 11-17-2009, 12:08 PM

That is a tight spot! Is there any way to access the hinges on the seat bottoms that are folded forward? if you can lift the seat backs and get a wrench in there, you could possibly pull out the seat bottoms (two hinges with one bolt each for either side), creating a large space between the sofa and the front seats. Then just push the front seats forward and slide your cargo forward. Maybe then you could slide in (or find a very small person to get in) through the lowered rear window. The inner panel is held on with clips that will be pretty hard to get to with the hatch closed (and a single bolt under the pull handle), but it may be possible. I don't know what's under the license plate trim.

You also might look from underneath the handle to see where it broke. If it broke close enough to the handle, a strong grip and long pliers might get it open too. Unfortunately, it may come down to breaking something like the license trim.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!
Old 11-17-2009, 12:53 PM

I had a simlar situation. Actually nothing broke in the door but the handle was "loose" as you describe. In my case I had too much stuff in the back of my truck. My cargo was pressing against the rear hatch so hard the pressure (pushing out against the interior of the hatch) caused the rear door to jamb. I suggest you make sure none of your cargo is pressing against the door from the inside. After I removed the particular itme that was pressed against the door the latch worked again. Hope that makes sense, I don't think I explained it well.

When I say door I mean rear hatch

Good luck
Old 11-17-2009, 05:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Reminds me of the time I closed the hatch on too much cargo. Turned out some cloth was sticking out and the hatch closed on it. I was able to work it out through the rear window with some pliers. When I pulled a few pieces out, the latch started working. So look carefully from both sides at what you can see of the latch area to see if anything is caught in there that you might be able to pull out.
Old 11-17-2009, 05:53 PM

I had a fiend who's trunk wouldn't open from the interior release and the key hole had been removed during modifications to the vehicle. I used a hole saw to make a 2 inch hole behind his license plate. With that, I gained a way to release his trunk latch. I don't know if this would help on a 4-runner, but it is a thought. After we got in his trunk, we covered the hole with Dynamat and re-installed the license plate.
Old 11-17-2009, 08:07 PM

Even without something pressing on the inside of the hatch, mine oftentimes jams like that (loose handle and the hatch won't open). The trick is to push in the hatch and hold it in, then pull the handle. I find I get better leverage by using my foot, braced on the bumper and pushing on the door like the accelerator pedal, to push the hatch in.
Old 11-18-2009, 03:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
this may help:
http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/1996/SIL/...acdoo/disa.pdf
Old 11-26-2009, 07:12 AM

I had the same problem, with the glass down you can look down the left side(in side door) play with the handle, you should be able to see the linkage system, I used a thin piece of steel rod(like a antenna) and push down on the linkage and popped the door open. It turns out the there is a plastic box in the upper left which controls the power lock for the back door, it had a mounting tab that broke off, well anyways I had to open the door with the rod a few times.
Hope this helps.
Old 11-26-2009, 07:56 AM

If the handle itself has broken, sometimes you can use a hose hook to reach into the hole that the handle goes into and actuate the latch.
Old 11-26-2009, 08:20 AM

ooops

Last edited by SchooBaka; 11-26-2009 at 08:23 AM. Reason: double post
Old 12-05-2009, 05:16 PM

Smile Got it open!!!!

Originally Posted by kawicowboy
I had the same problem, with the glass down you can look down the left side(in side door) play with the handle, you should be able to see the linkage system, I used a thin piece of steel rod(like a antenna) and push down on the linkage and popped the door open. It turns out the there is a plastic box in the upper left which controls the power lock for the back door, it had a mounting tab that broke off, well anyways I had to open the door with the rod a few times.
Hope this helps.
Thanks everyone for your suggestions, this one worked best for me without any damage at all. I lowered the glass all the way down, located with a flashlight the lever from inside, I used a small rod to push it down while pulling and it opened right up. Then I removed the panel, and checked inside on the hatch open lever one of the nut was missing, and the other was loose, replaced the missing one and tightened the other, and now were all good!!!! Problem Solved. Thanks guys.
Old 10-27-2010, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by locomike
Thanks everyone for your suggestions, this one worked best for me without any damage at all. I lowered the glass all the way down, located with a flashlight the lever from inside, I used a small rod to push it down while pulling and it opened right up. Then I removed the panel, and checked inside on the hatch open lever one of the nut was missing, and the other was loose, replaced the missing one and tightened the other, and now were all good!!!! Problem Solved. Thanks guys.
I am trying to follow these instructions and can't seem to locate this linkage.
How far down is this suppose to be? And How far left of the lever?

Is the part I am pressing down on between outside panel and the glass or the inside panel and the glass.

Thanks in advance.
- J