Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

'04 2.4L cracking intake tube/box. Common?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2017, 02:38 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'04 2.4L cracking intake tube/box. Common?

I got the '04 in my sig 10 days ago and it's my first 2RZ Tacoma.

It has a few small issues I've been sorting out, one of which is a lot cracks running all over the intake box/tube/silencer thing between the air filter and throttle body. The PO put JB weld over them and sealed it all up for the most part. However, the truck pings a bit under heavy throttle, so I think it's still getting some unmetered air somewhere. I'm going to reseal it with some silicone for now and probably just replace the whole thing soon.

Is it common for this part to crack and leak air? It doesn't seem like it since I can't find any information on it happening to others. The PO also seemed to be an Armor All addict, so I wonder if that affected it...
Attached Thumbnails '04 2.4L cracking intake tube/box. Common?-capture.jpg  
Old 03-06-2017, 12:19 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

I won`t say it is common but plastic and rubber do age with the thermal cycling .

I had to replace both the air intake systems on my Tacoma and 4Runner 3.4 engines

I just replaced all the rubber parts with new from Toyota .

If your getting extra air it will cause the MIL to trip are you getting any codes ??

Last edited by wyoming9; 03-06-2017 at 12:21 AM.
Old 03-06-2017, 06:45 AM

I would have expected the rubber couplers to crack first, but it doesn't look like they have. Honestly though, they haven't been thoroughly examined yet, just visually when finding cracks in the resonator. (I was busy replacing the DS front seat belt and buckle this weekend; it was stiff with grime and f'in gross.)

Haven't checked for stored codes, but there is no CEL and the light does work. Truck runs well IMO save for the occasional pinging.

Last edited by Dirt Driver; 03-06-2017 at 06:46 AM.
Old 03-11-2017, 06:48 PM

I replaced the intake resonator today with a nice used one and the rubber couplers were in good shape. I cleaned the MAF while in there. There was some fine crud baked onto the two sensor elements and more of it on the upper downstream one, so I used MAF cleaner and some foam cleanroom swabs to carefully clean them off. Also put new spark plugs in to establish a known zero point for maintenance("old" ones were hardly used).

Truck runs great, but I'll have to burn off the tank of 91 before a conclusion can be reached on the pinging.

The fuel economy up to this point also hasn't been great at about 25.4mpg, so I'll be monitoring that as well.