Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

02 Confusion

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2005, 10:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
02 Confusion

I have a 1999 automatic (non CA spec) sr5 runner. I am trying to find the replacement sensor for the front 02. The dealer told me there are three manufacturers of Toyota 02 sensors for my year and you have to get the right one or you are screwed.

The sensor he said I need to get is part number 8946580034 and they can get it for me for $167.00 + TAX.

I have looked online and found some OEM dealers, but they all only have one version of the 02 for my year truck, which I figure is one of three possibilities in terms of getting the right part.

This is so frustrating, I am going on a road trip in two weeks and need to replace it asap, and I dont have time to order something I am not 100% sure is the correct part. Anyone know anything about all of this?

Thanks!
Old 05-12-2005, 11:18 AM

AFAIK, O2 sensors (especialy the front one for people who have 2) are standardized. They all should output the same voltage as a function of the amount of oxygen in the exhaust. The only thing you probably need to look out for are 2-wire vs 4-wire O2 sensors. the 2-wire kind just report the voltage vs O2 levels. the 4-wire kind use the extra 2 wires to power a heater that get's the O2 sensor up to operating temperature more quickly. You should be able to go to autozone and just pick up a generic O2 sensor that matches the wire count of your current one and be just fine, and save the extra cost for the toyota brand one.

check out http://hostingprod.com/@aa1car.com/library/o2sensor.htm for more info on O2 sensors. it doesn't say anything about them being special to a particular make of car.
Old 05-12-2005, 11:30 AM

Is this a part that would be ok to use non OEM?

To determine 4 wire vs. 2 wire I assume you just look at the one you have to determine how many wires it has?

So is the dealerships story about 3 different manufacturers a joke??
Old 05-12-2005, 12:55 PM

i can't say for sure, as i've never replaced my o2 sensor (probably should, it's been on there a while). but other than "quality" reasons, i can't see why you'd have to go OEM. the response of voltage vs O2 level is standard, so everything should work just fine. everything i've ever read on O2 sensors says that they all behave the same. maybe toyota's oem supplier makes them better than the generics, but are they really worth the cost? example: i just checked out napa's O2 sensors, a bosch universal O2 sensor is $70, and toyota oem sensor is $120 dollars. they didn't have any generic O2 sensors listed. so that means that the toyota oem sensor has to last twice as long as the bosch to be worth the price. i doubt there's that much variance in the manufacturing process.

as far as the dealership saying that there's 3 different manufactureres. that may be true, but i'm sure it doesn't matter which one you use. never trust a thing anybody at a dealership says, they're always out to get your money.
Old 05-16-2005, 02:22 PM

Thanks everyone! I talked my dealership into selling me the sensor at wholesale cost of 99.63 which worked out better than any of the Autozone/Napas around here for aftermarket, most were at least $150.

So I put the new one on, and then unplugged the EFI fuse for about a minute and hopefully within a tank or so of gas when it all resets, I will have some good news of increase in mileage...hopefully.
Old 05-16-2005, 02:31 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by theryanator
Thanks everyone! I talked my dealership into selling me the sensor at wholesale cost of 99.63 which worked out better than any of the Autozone/Napas around here for aftermarket, most were at least $150.
Okay, so after all the worry about which sensor you needed or could use, which one did you get (mfg and part #)?
Old 06-02-2005, 11:17 AM

Hey everyone...its been a while...lots of out of town weddings and business is keeping us busy!

About three weeks ago, I ended up getting the 02 Sensor from my dealership. I just got whichever one they recommended based on my VIN. I have the box at home with the exact mfg # and specs on it. None the less, it works!

I took off the old sensor, in the process breaking the little plastic mount that held it to some steel under the body. I put the new one on and have found a HUGE increase in MPG. I am now getting about 17.5-18 in the city and on the road trip we just took to OHIO on the highway I never did the MPG calc, but I got about 280 miles per tank.

Needless to say I am pleased...and I know it is due to the help you all have offered. Especially MIDI, thanks for your patience with me as I have learned how to do all this. I am the type of person who if I am doing it, I want to do it right, so I try to gather all the details I can before doing the task...everyone here has been a great help!

Thanks!