86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

yotarob2005's 1986 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 09:25 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Hey Rob, ... are you doing a bunch of body work again?>>>> or just slapping the TG bumper on there and fixing the light housings, etc.? Just curious...hadn't heard anything yet on that(or missed it, sorry, lol).
Old 06-16-2011, 10:26 AM

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Guys I have to say that this Texas heat and humidity is not helping me get ANYTHING done on the 4runner, lol. Even at night in the garage with a big fan it is so stinking hot! Since I am off this saturday (which is rare) I plan on taking all of the tires off of the thing and getting new lower profile valve stems put on. Last trip out I was running about 8psi and blew one valve stem clean out of the rim and sheared another off on a rock. I currently have my full size spare and another borrowed spare on the thing. I need to get busy finding a replacement corner marker light for the passenger side and a new tail light. I do plan on fixing the body back up and another repaint but I am not going to bother untill I get some decent armour on the thing. I'll do something with it this weekend guys and post some pics.....promise, lol.
Old 06-16-2011, 11:35 AM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
pshhh! just sheet metal over the thing, add cheap trailer-style lights, and call it good. at the rate you go through tailgates...

good luck on finding your parts
Old 06-16-2011, 12:22 PM

I did just order a new tail ligth lens, found one on Amazon for $25 shipped. At least that is a little progress. I on a roll now, lol
Old 06-16-2011, 04:34 PM

Sorry bout the heat, bud! Fhewwww, that's steaming! Especially with the Humidity. I'm headed out to Havasu, soon..... bout 110* there, ....almost 0% humidity, lol... Jk, but it's low.

Far as the tail lights.... is that just the cover? I think I got mine for 23$ for both. I'd have to look up which site, but sounds like you got it covered...no pun intended, lol.
Old 06-16-2011, 05:27 PM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
Rob....somehow I missed the pics. Like the one of your little guy snoozing. Don't like the ones of the damage....sorry to see that.

yeh...exo may be what you need........but I'd start with a stout bumper maybe.
Old 06-16-2011, 05:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
just checking in rob looking forward to you getting started and Im with ya on the humidity thing I would love to have A/C in my shop I have a better chance of winning the lottery.
Old 06-17-2011, 06:47 AM

I don't want you guys to think I am super lazy so I thought I would share a project I have been working on for the last couple of weeks since it is in a round about way related to my 4runner build. I bought a trailer from a freind of mine that didn't use it often, I told him a year or so ago that if he ever wanted to unload it let me know and he did. It is a 16ft pipe top with dual 3500# axles and trailer brakes on the rear axle. I wanted to get it cleaned up and reliable since my intentions are to be able to tow my 4runner to wheeling destinations across the state with out having to worry.

I started by cleaning and repacking all of the wheel bearings just to find that one of the brake drums was cracked. Since I am towing with a freaking Tacoma I thought that good trailer brakes where important. Went shopping locally and ended up buying 2 new hub / drum assemblies for the rear axle, which came with new bearings and races, and a complete set of brakes for the front axle, again with all new bearings ect. Also replaced all 4 tires so this thing should be plenty reliable now. I am still hunting for a spare rim on the cheap and I'll buy a 5th new tire once I do. Trailer tires are EXPENSIVE so I opted for regular car tires, considering the weight of my 4runner I am hoping they will be fine.

I have been steadily working on the wiring, everything works as far as wiring goes but it is really janky the way it was done, wires where just stripped and twisted together with out so much as electrical tape! So I am having to go back and repair every connection, also wiring in the brakes I added.

I have another freind with a 4K psi pressure washer that is going to blast the hell out of it today and I plan on picking up a can of rustoleum and brushing on a quick pain job, I already have some Thompsons water sealer I am going to use on the wood deck. I am going to go back with the same gray / sliverish color I guess, I like that it matches my Tacoma. I wasn't planning on going this far with the project but you guys know me too well for that and I don't want it to look like crap.

Once all is said and done this trailer will be just like brand new, and I will probably have the same amount of money tied up in it as I would had I just bought a new one, lol.

I haven't taken many pictures, all I have for now is a couple from the first day I started working on it. I'll get a few more this weekend.

this is when I was cleaning and repacking bearings, which turned out to be a wast of time since I ended up replacing all the bearings the next day.

axles before I put the front brakes on

New tires
Old 06-17-2011, 06:59 AM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Nice man!!!
Old 06-17-2011, 07:19 AM

Rob my trailer is probably the most neglected peice of equipment I own, You would think for the investment I would do a better job maintaining it Just always seems to take a back seat to more pressing things, glad to see You getting yours together its really nice to not have to always borrow one.
Old 06-17-2011, 12:03 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Hello Rob..I figured you were working on some kind of project. For pulling heavy loads trailer brakes are NICE!! Help keep you out of bad situations. I agree on getting a spare. Dont know how many times I have seen trailers of all sorts on the road without spares.

Trailer tires are expensive, I like to get a good set of used truck tires that are half worn myself. They dont tend to sling as much gravel,but you have a nice set of wrap around fenders. Since you are pulling your Runner and weight wise, the new will work great.

Might want to look into an Anti Sway bar. It really makes a difference. Just got to remember not to back up with it attached. It is easy to disconnect with a cotter pin. There is also a leveler that helps put the weight on the tongue and not just the hitch. I can get a picture of mine if you would like. My camper is at the limit and with everything else in there is over a little bit. It all comes in one piece and makes a night and day difference.

Been checking your thread quite a bit, just knew you were working on something.

Last edited by Terrys87; 06-17-2011 at 01:51 PM.
Old 06-20-2011, 06:45 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Nice score on the trailer Rob. Get it ready to Roll. What kind of brake controller are you using or going to use? I decided on keeping my Tacoma and need to put one in.
Old 06-20-2011, 07:04 AM

Thanks Chris, wish I could be more helpful on the controller. All I know is that it is a Pilot model somethin' or other. I bought it shortly after I bought the taco in 05. It works flawlessly. I really need to come up with a decent place to mount it though. I haven't seen anything I liked. I just plug it in when I need it and stash it behind the back seat when I don't. When I am using it I just lay it on the floor board at my feet and def. gets in the way.
Old 06-20-2011, 07:08 AM

I got a lot more done to the trailer this weekend, Have some pics to upload but left my camera. Got it registered on Friday, the wood was pressure washed and coated in Thompson's water sealer, painted all of the metal, finished rewiring including some trick new LED tail lights. I still need to secure some wires underneath, buil some ramps, get a spare wheel and tire but it is now completely legal and useable.
Old 06-20-2011, 07:17 AM

Glad to hear you made good ground on your trailer, I bet its lookin good can't wait to see pics, gotta get some work done on mine soon you kinda inspired me LOL.
Old 06-20-2011, 08:33 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I felt your pain this weekend Rob, had TWO trailer tires blow on me on the way to Rosenberg, one was about 40 min after I hit the road and the other was about 1 mile inside the Rosenberg city limits. It sucked, had a spare for the first blow out but had to throw and oversized chevy spare Ang's uncle had on it to limp it to a tire shop in Rosenberg. Trailer tires suck, threw some light truck tires on it and made it all the way back to SA w/o a problem.
Old 06-20-2011, 08:44 AM

Nice work,...quick work as well

Can't wait for the pics. Hope you had a great Fathers Day, man! I left my phone behind and my bro told me "Some Yotarob and Jason dudes sent you text messages", hahahaha. THANKS, MAN! Back at ya!
Old 06-21-2011, 10:20 AM

more trailer pics

Brakes on both axles now

After the pressure washing

A few supplies

All pretty and shiney

All new LED lights

Look it matches my Tacoma!

Old 06-21-2011, 10:24 AM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
ooo... shiny!

good work! i like it
Old 06-21-2011, 10:27 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Man that looks like a completely different trailer! Great job!

Quick Reply: yotarob2005's 1986 4Runner Build-Up Thread