86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Yotafisher's 1986 Pickup Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 09:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
well if you do the SAS ur going to want bigger tires. so i would either jump in the swap or buy some used tire to get u by till ur ready for a swap.
Old 11-18-2010, 05:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by twistedyota
well if you do the SAS ur going to want bigger tires. so i would either jump in the swap or buy some used tire to get u by till ur ready for a swap.
This is exactly what i'm thinking... The SAS swap with the possbile installation of my 3" body lift i've got here would probably clear 38"s, which is really what I am dreaming of. I think i need to go ahead and buy the sas conversion kit, and start buying items like my high steer kit, 5.29 gear sets, and lockers. Only thing is it's going to look pretty funny up that high for a while on little tires, but I guess it's better than spending money twice on new rubber.
Old 11-18-2010, 08:02 PM

you could buy used tires to get u buy and save up till you have enough for all
Old 11-27-2010, 03:58 PM

I am almost done with the 3" body lift, just have to bolt on the front bumper relocation brackets, and pick up a longer vent hose for the gas tank, re-install grill and done. It sits up high now, probably going to get me a set of 35"s for a while. I'll post pics tomorrow in the light.
Old 11-27-2010, 04:07 PM

thats a nice lookin truck man. i look forward to seeing it with the lift. will be cool to see it with the sas too. great job
Old 11-29-2010, 05:06 PM

Thanks Travis. I have been busy at work and still haven't finished up the bumper and fuel vent hose, maybe tomorrow during lunch I can pick up a few things I need to finish it up. The 32"s look tiny on it now though, can't wait to see how the 35"s look, and it will raise everything another couple inches which is sweet.
Old 11-29-2010, 08:22 PM

cant wait to see it
Old 11-29-2010, 08:40 PM

i love the look of your truck! so cleeeannn!! im jealous. cant wait to see it when its all done! should be doin my sas this winter
Old 12-01-2010, 05:46 PM

Sweet. Can't wait to see it in person. I made up my mind with a 2" BL and a BJ spacer kit. Maybe early this next year.
Old 01-15-2011, 11:33 AM

Well the holdiays really kept me from working on my truck, but it's time to start gettin' er done. I finished up the 3" body lift, and drove it like that for a little while, by now the old 32" Mickey Thompsons that were on it are just about bald. I picked up a set of 33x12.5x15 super swamper tsl's from a friend of mine cheap, good tread but one tire needs to be replaced so i'm running a brand new bfg mud terrain of the same size for a spare until i find one more. These used tires will get me by until i get the sas done, then I can worry about bigger tires. Pics!

Old 01-15-2011, 12:03 PM

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
super clean truck! ive always liked the red/black combo. bumpers and sliders on the wish list?would be a nice finishing touch imo.
Old 01-25-2011, 07:11 PM

Hey, ive made some changes to my rig. I'm thinking of doing a 4in susp lift and maybe BJ spacers soon. Your ride is turning out nice.
Old 01-25-2011, 08:44 PM

Thanks Rob. I'm still looking for one 33" tsl, if you see one let me know. I went over to the boat ramp on Hwy. 48 Sunday, but someone has chained off the area where everyone used to ride.
Old 02-06-2011, 02:12 PM

Hey guys, I am hearing a loud grinding noise when I accelerate in first or second gear, sounds like its' coming from the transmission or the front end somewhere...Any clues to what this could be?
Old 02-06-2011, 03:59 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Out of curiosity, ...last time you checked the Gear Oil Level in the Trans? Mine did this when it was really low, in mostly 1st and second and it would pop out of 4th at times.

S'all I got off the top of my head, YF! lol.
Old 03-08-2011, 06:00 PM

Hey thanks Chef, i'll check that out. I've been having to drive it to work lately, my car was broken in to, and they destroyed the dash apparently trying to get the passenger side airbag out. So the car's in the shop, all this happened just last week. It gets better, lol... So i'm at work today and my insurance company calls and wants to speak to me about my claim on the '86 Toyota. I don't have a claim on my '86 yota, it's on my '08 Scion... She says, no, i'm referring to the accident you were in last month in the '86. I wasn't in an accident in my yota! lol. She tells me that I was, and my truck must be really bad because the other car was a total loss. I'm trying to explain to her that is a beautiful example of a 1986 yota that has never been in an accident for all I know, it's right here in front of me...they won't believe me until they get the police report and "investigate" for themselves, lol. I think i'm in the twilight zone.
They asked me to send pictures, not that it would even prove anything, can't tell when the picture was taken. I told them to send someone out and have a look for themselves, but they seemed unmotivated. When I got to their site you can only message them through their system, and it doesn't allow you to send pics. Oh well, almost a waste of perfectly good pics...here ya go, my "wrecked" '86 yota, lol.

Old 03-09-2011, 04:51 PM

x2 on checking fluid levels. Saw you the other day on the road, man hose tires look massive rolling down the highway.
Old 03-10-2011, 05:12 PM

Thanks Rob, yeah the truck has been out and about alot more lately since my car went in the body shop. I actually dropped the truck off at the shop today, they kept it for most of the day investigating the problem while I was at work. First they checked my transmission oil and it was full and looked fine. Transfer case was reportedly a little bit low, but nothing to worry about. They topped it off and took it for a drive.The bad news... The mechanic says he's sure it's in the transfer case and showed me that I can even feel the grind very strongly in only the transfer case shifter handle and no where else. I haven't abused my t-case that I know of, I only use 4wd in the sand, and after I pull off the road. I always shift the t-case into 2hi, make sure it's operating in only 2wd, unlock the hubs, then pull on to the highway in that order. I have ran pretty fast over some rough beach and probably gotten an inch or two of air under the tires before, but only once or twice. Sooo, looks like I need to learn all about a transfer case rebuild so I can do this myself.
Oh yeah, and the insurance company figured out they had the accident mixed up with another guy with a '86 yota...so that's the good news.

Last edited by Yotafisher; 03-10-2011 at 05:13 PM.
Old 03-11-2011, 04:01 PM

More good news. I found the grinding noise problem, it was simply the transfer case shifter hitting the body. (3" body lift) I have clearanced a few spots already, but the t-case shifter is still hitting when it's all the way forward in 2hi. I realized it when i had put my hand on the t-case shifter and you could feel the grind big time when it happens. Once i was cruising in 4th gear at a steady speed I gently pulled back in the t-case shifter and it would grind the same as what it's been doing...AH-HA. When I held it forward I could not make it grind when I took off in first gear. So that's great news after all, I can simply clearance the body a little more for the t-case shifter to go as far forward as it needs to and I should be ready to go.
Old 03-11-2011, 09:04 PM

thts good to here man

Quick Reply: Yotafisher's 1986 Pickup Build-Up Thread