86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

yeehaw1's 1984/89 Pickup Build-Up Thread - Project "Mud Toy"

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2011, 09:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yeehaw1's 1984/89 Pickup Build-Up Thread - Project "Mud Toy"

It looks like i'll finally be getting some free time next week, so i'm hoping to get a start on my mud toy/ crawler, but i have a couple of questions first...

I have a 20r that runs, a early block/head 22r that runs, and a newer style 22re that needs rebuilt, which motor do you think is the best overall, and which has the best aftermarket for parts. i'd like to get as close as possible to 150 horsepower and 175/200 ft/lb of torqe

what transmission would be better for a crawler-mudder a 4-speed or a 5-speed?

does any body have a good step by step write up on a solid axle swap? (i have searched, but most of what i've seen is just people talking about the sas, maybe 2 where they actually had a couple pics of a sas in progress...)

The blue 89 model will be my mud toy/crawler, and the red 84 has my sa and the early style 22r housed in it.

heres the bed

i have a 4" lift kit to put on after/during the sas

and i may go ahead and do the battery intake swap, and e fan swap.

in the future i'd like to have either 5.29 or 5.71 gearing, e-lockers front and rear, 35-38" mudders, dual t-cases, cold air intake, and a full exo cage.

what do yall think, i can't wait to get started!
Old 06-12-2011, 10:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
awesome man, i cant wait to see whats going to happen
Old 06-12-2011, 11:51 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
i would use the EFI Motor, 5 speed for strength

as far as step by steps for the SAS...try a little harder in your search...there are tons of them...

Last edited by dropzone; 06-12-2011 at 11:52 AM.
Old 06-12-2011, 12:06 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
u can look up mine..V8 SAS...not saying its the best but its got a good amount of pics..
Old 06-12-2011, 01:08 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lotta great info here and pirate.
Old 06-12-2011, 08:45 PM

4x4jeffyota, to be honest that makes two of us.

ocd, thanks, your input is greatly appreciated, the only part i don't like about the efi motor is that it has to be rebuilt. ill look some more, but have found quite a bit of "pieces" of sas info tonight.

Yoterr, thanks, great lookin truck you have there, ill be refering to your sas again in the near future...

yotarover, thats why i asked before i started lol, ive learned a ton from lurkin around, come across my parts toys, and decided, well, why don't i just make myself a mud/crawler toy. good info on pirate, but i've heard alot about people being unfriendly over there.
Old 06-13-2011, 07:19 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Pirate expects people to search, ask a question w/o searching and you will get flamed.
Half the work in building a truck is doing the research, not having someone else do it for you...
Old 06-13-2011, 11:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Definitely worth rebuilding the 22re and going with the 5 speed. The SAS isn't that bad took my buddy and I a good day to get it done if you know what you are doing, but a good idea to get someone to help you cuz its not light at all! But 22re and 5 speed would be my weapon of choice and there is a lot of aftermarket parts for it too. Goodluck on the project....
Old 06-13-2011, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by 9164RUNNER
Definitely worth rebuilding the 22re and going with the 5 speed. The SAS isn't that bad took my buddy and I a good day to get it done if you know what you are doing, but a good idea to get someone to help you cuz its not light at all! But 22re and 5 speed would be my weapon of choice and there is a lot of aftermarket parts for it too. Goodluck on the project....
that's the bad part lol, the only idea as to what im doing has come from reading about 20 post on sas now, and my dad and buddy that's supposed to help me have read maybe one full post between both of them...
but i digress, the 22re is prolly going to be rebuilt, and mated with one of my 5speeds, gonna add a good cam to the motor, prolly get an engnbuilder kit, and order a headgasket from ?, i've read bad things about the rock head gasket...

plan to have the body on the frame tommorow night, hopefully plate a small spot, and get it dragable with interior... i just got the frame ready to be yanked off the trailer a couple hours ago.

hoping to get started on hooking all the wiring up wensday or thursday... and hopefully have a motor in it and driving on ifs by sunday. If at all posible, get the sas done by sunday, but i'm gonna put the saturday after this down for the final finish time... I'm prolly pushing the timeline way too hard though...

after reading a couple more posts, the sas is prolly gonna be a ways away yet, but i'd still like to get the truck up and running.

Last edited by yeehaw1; 06-13-2011 at 10:31 PM.
Old 06-23-2011, 07:54 PM

well, things never go quite as planned , both my buddys that were supposed to be helpin bailed, and i got stuck working in the hayfields

But yesterday i got the cancer-cab ready to roll of the frame almost (still got to undo the shifter boot, and a couple things in the engine compartment), took about 9-10 hours (most of it wasted on the dang dashboard )

Today i've been down with some sort of cold or something, and didn't work on it, or really do anything ,other than research...

When i get back to working on the project i should have it down to bare frame and axles, and hopefully get a new fuel-tank crossmember and frame plated, and welded by my Dad within a day.

hopefully i'll feel like working on it again tommorow or saturday

made a couple of decisions on what im doin though i

I'm going to make a custom dash, because the 89-95 factory dash is a pain to take out (too many random hidden bolts), hopefully i can reuse some of the gauges, (without the actuall cluster), and buy a oil pressure gauge, a voltage gauge, and prolly eventually, a psi gauge. The other thing i decided on is to pull the 20r out of the 79-83 (i think it may be a 82-83?) and hook it up to the tranny that's sitting in the frame (5-speed) untill i get the time and money to rebuild my 22re the way i want it (roughly 150 hp, 200 ft.lb. of torque).

Now, onto another couple of questions...

Can you pop the factory speedometer/odometer out of the gauge cluster, and still use it? temp gauge and fuel gauge too?

Also, which would be easier in your honest opinon, bolting the motor in, and then bolt the other cab on? or would it be easier to bolt the cab on and then motor? The cab im putting on had the wiring harness butchered by somebody that was going to do the 350 swap... Good thing the cancer patient had a good harness, for when i put the 22re in...
Old 06-27-2011, 06:55 PM

well, finally, beginning to feel better, so i should be back to working on the truck by wensday.
So nobody knows about poping the factory gauges out?
Old 06-27-2011, 06:58 PM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
No on the gauge cluster part. It's all or nothing. I don't know if or how you can use aftermarket spedo's and/or fuel level either.

Oh yeah and subscribed.
Old 06-27-2011, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by xxxtreme22r
No on the gauge cluster part. It's all or nothing. I don't know if or how you can use aftermarket spedo's and/or fuel level either.

Oh yeah and subscribed.
Thanks for the info xxxtreme22r.

Oh well, i guess i'll be reusing the factory cluster... I was trying to do away with as much of the wiring as possible, i want it to be clean and simple, that way i know what each wire is for. i'll have to edit my custom dashboard idea now, to incorporate the factory cluster.
Old 06-27-2011, 07:33 PM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
You might be able to do it if your a wizz at electrical, but I could be wrong on either account.
Old 06-27-2011, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by xxxtreme22r
You might be able to do it if your a wizz at electrical, but I could be wrong on either account.
I'm by no means an electrical whizz, i just have a basic understanding of electrical maintenance, wiring, and diagrams.

My Dad's decent with electrical stuff, though when it comes to circut boards, i don't know how far his knowledge goes.
Old 06-30-2011, 07:32 PM

for my info,
http://www.toysport.com/technical%20...tech_notes.htm
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...796&highlight=
never can find links when i want em...

Last edited by yeehaw1; 06-30-2011 at 10:29 PM. Reason: added the pirate link
Old 06-30-2011, 07:34 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
subscribed
Old 06-30-2011, 09:37 PM

anybody ever used one of these? do they work well? this is a ways off, but i figured i'd post the links in here, so i have them.

http://radesignsproducts.com/TripleSticks.aspx

http://www.davezoffroadperformance.c...e-shifter.html
Old 06-30-2011, 09:53 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Originally Posted by yeehaw1
anybody ever used one of these? do they work well? this is a ways off, but i figured i'd post the links in here, so i have them.

http://radesignsproducts.com/TripleSticks.aspx

ScottyC has one of Rory's triple sticks in 4Runner:
Originally Posted by ScottyC
Rory Desjardin from www.RADesignsproducts.com was kind enough to send me one of his triple shifters as a prototype testing platform. I must say that this kit is pretty damn simple to install. It will require minor cutting of the transmission tunnel, but I sure do wish this kit would have been available when I started my build.

It went together seamlessly and the only reason I cut out the center portion was to make it easier for me to bolt the linkage on. Trust me, I did NOT want to have to drop the t-cases as that requires pulling the entire front suspension out, so working from the top was much easier. Also, simply cutting an access panel for the shifters and using some 18 gauge steel as the panel was simple.

The kit comes with everything you will need except some RTV.

I still at this point have to trim up on the portion of the center console to fit, but I will at least have access to one cup holder again, which IMO is critical. After all, you might spill your drink!
feedback that I have read on Pirate has been great...
Old 06-30-2011, 09:59 PM

Thanks OCD, I was actually just reading through a post on pirate about them lol, found three of them. I'm considering using one of these when the time comes to dual t-case the rig, that way i don't have to hack things up so bad.
First things first though, fix the small rot spot on the frame, near the gas tank x-member that i uncovered the other day, put the body on, then install the 20r, then sas/lift/gears, put the 22re in, high-steer, and then dual's.

Quick Reply: yeehaw1's 1984/89 Pickup Build-Up Thread - Project "Mud Toy"