86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

What have I started?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2020, 05:59 PM

Received 119 Likes on 105 Posts
What have I started?

It's only been about 5 weeks since I finished my 3.4 swap in my 93 pickup. I was very satisfied and had no interest or desire to buy another vehicle. I mean, I already have 3 cars... what would I possibly do with a 4th?
But then I was on Facebook Marketplace, and I came across something I never expected I would even want, but dang it the price was SO LOW! So tonight after work I took a half hour drive and picked up a new project that I didn't realize I wanted.
1995 SR5 4 Runner, 3.0 with a blown head gasket. Auto trans, 165,000 original miles. The guy just put on BRAND NEW 33" BFGs and a matching spare. The tires alone are worth more than I paid, I just couldn't pass it up.

The body rust around the rear fenders makes it a good candidate for some cut out wheel wells for bigger tires, and the 33's may go on my 93 pickup. I'm excited to learn what direction I'm going to take with this one! I've never owned 2 Toyotas at once.
The following users liked this post:
SomedayJ (09-25-2020)
Old 09-25-2020, 05:41 PM

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts
I'm curious to see where you take it. Another 3.4 swap? And I highly recommend cutting the fenders.
Old 09-25-2020, 06:02 PM

Received 119 Likes on 105 Posts
I'm leaning pretty heavily toward another 3.4 swap. I've been on the prowl for wrecked runners and pickups all day. I drove it to work this morning just for kicks, it's only 3 miles. It overheated badly halfway there, and I noticed the radiator was still touchable when I got to the shop. So I threw in a new thermostat before I went home and it made the trip without issue, other than a thick cloud of white smoke. So I figure the thermostat stuck on the previous owner, overheated, and caused a head gasket failure.
I think for now, I'll probably throw a new head gasket in so I can drive it around. It's a little loosey goosey compared to my pickup, it feels like it's 165000 are all on original chassis parts. So I'm thinking run it through the winter on the 3.0 and work on getting the chassis ironed out, and put in an engine in the spring... for now anyways. I'm definitely going to cut the fenders, mostly to stop the rust.
It's my first 4 Runner, and I kind of like it. It's also a good reminder of how much better the 3.4 is in my pickup, apparently I was already getting used to it.