86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

ToyoTech559's 1988 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2013, 10:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ToyoTech559
that is funny. i started out with all the big heavy stuff since i figure hey the truck is carrying all my gear. little did i know, all that armor, tires and weight of gear slowed me down so much on the hills i have started to switch out most my camping gear to what backpackers uses. another reason why is, i want to get into backpacking (weekend hikes/camping) i sure you know this stuff is expensive. so i figure i will get stuff i can uses as dual purpose in both the truck and backpacking.
Yeah, it can get to be a small fortune depending on how light you go with the gear. Be careful, it gets as addictive as the trucks. We're going to Mt Whitney next week and this will be my third trip there and I'm already trying not to run out today and buy an ultralight tripod I want specifically to shave some weight.

It seems like every trip, there is this little thing that you just have to have and it's easy to justify because it's just you, your feet and your pack so space and weight are a premium. But man... there's nothing like those glacial lakes or 12K+ trails that are like nothing else anywhere in the world and we are lucky enough to live right in the heart of them. The sierras are just a wonderland at that altitude. It's like another world.
Old 09-14-2013, 05:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by diableri
Yeah, it can get to be a small fortune depending on how light you go with the gear. Be careful, it gets as addictive as the trucks. We're going to Mt Whitney next week and this will be my third trip there and I'm already trying not to run out today and buy an ultralight tripod I want specifically to shave some weight.

It seems like every trip, there is this little thing that you just have to have and it's easy to justify because it's just you, your feet and your pack so space and weight are a premium. But man... there's nothing like those glacial lakes or 12K+ trails that are like nothing else anywhere in the world and we are lucky enough to live right in the heart of them. The sierras are just a wonderland at that altitude. It's like another world.

i know what you mean. im probably gonna start to heavyish gear and work my way to lighter stuff as i get more serious into it.
we are lucky to have access to such amazing places. it might not be till next year before i will have everything ready for my 1st real weekend hike
Old 09-14-2013, 05:24 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Diableri, are you doing the face? Or are you more into the trails and stuff? I love Mt Whitney! And everything somewhat south and north of it as well for another several hundred miles. I love convict as well. Quite a beautiful place. More the tourist place I know, but most of them are now. I hope you guys have a great time just stay safe!
Old 09-14-2013, 09:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Diableri, are you doing the face? Or are you more into the trails and stuff? I love Mt Whitney! And everything somewhat south and north of it as well for another several hundred miles. I love convict as well. Quite a beautiful place. More the tourist place I know, but most of them are now. I hope you guys have a great time just stay safe!
It'll be trail camp up and around route this time. The guys I'm going with have never been to the summit and there are better views this route and it's a bit longer although boy scout is really nice and usually less crowded this time of year. Mirror is awfully pretty too though I haven't been there in a while and hope there's enough water this season to make it look nice.

I think my favorite everywhere up there is Palisades and Big Pine Lakes up near the glacier. It's not all that gnarly but it's accessible to pretty much everyone and offers some pretty technical stuff right along side easier stuff so you can take everybody and it is amazingly beautiful.

Sorry for the derail Toyo! Welcome to the packing obsession, rollin terra with boots isn't quite the same as fat tires but it's just as rewarding if you can get past the sore muscles.

:

Kinda how my packing trips usually go.

Last edited by diableri; 09-14-2013 at 09:23 PM.
Old 09-17-2013, 09:39 PM

have a few things i been working on but not done or ready to post up but i finally got my hi lift mounted up. perfect spot and its out of the way. hidden a little bit and easy to get to

Old 09-18-2013, 02:11 AM

That is freaking awesome! What a great idea... Only one thing, I roll quite often with my seats folded forward/bed flat..... So that would work for me right? I really do like that idea of getting it completely out of the way and yet passengers can still sit back there with no problem. Awesome!
Old 09-18-2013, 05:57 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I was gonna ask the same thing. I would imagine the hilift would get in the way of the seats going down? Right?

Great mod though. If you don't sleep in the rear if your truck on camping trips.
Old 09-18-2013, 08:27 AM

I don't fold the seats because the seat back acts a a barrier for my gear. Everything in the cargo is strapped down cuz I was a rookie once and just threw stuff back there. By the Ed of my trip everything slid everywhere. I hate when I hear moving parts inside the cab when driving.

I can try to fold the seats down but I have a feeling it will be in the way. The base of the hi lift you guys all know us pretty big base lol
Old 09-18-2013, 10:10 AM

The hinges fold down, the is no way that I can see them going forward with the jack there..... But, I STILL LOVE IT! Lol....

Everyones different, but I can't quite often in the winter, or at least I have several dozens of times in the past... I plan to again, and I love doing the hot springs in the winter. Makes me feel like a snow monkey! I guess in my case more like a snow gorilla? Lol... Anyway, my point is, that I don't know many people that like to camp during the winter in the High Sierras in a tent over the back of an insulated for runner. But, it is doable if you have the right windshear covers and insulate the ground between your pad, it can be fine. But still, the cold comes through. This is why insulated the rear so well, including the bed. That thermo shield is quite the stuff and I can tell you from experience, even in the truck off the ground the body heat from my wife and I at the time true condensation that you couldn't believe. I mean it literally went right through the bed and padding and carpet, and we were pretty wet on our sides because it's up to the foam.( I have a 4 inch thick firm foam roll that I use quite often. I've learned not to use in the winter unless I put down my Hillary pads first)....

Anyway, I know you're not going to be doing this so its not really important... At least not on your thread, so I apologize for taking up so much space here. But I gotta tell you a story... And, Its just that I highly recommend camping in the truck if you're going on a trip that's more than one day... I just throw the food on the roof.... ORRR, under the truck, in the case it's extremely warm or Sunny mornings. Depends if there's bears or not. I've had quite a few encounters and that's yet another reason why I prefer to be in the truck. A couple times camping with my daughter we had a mother and a cub tear the camp half apart, and my daughter has never been so petrified. She was not having it in with us at the front seat if she had to for the rest of the night. I believe she was around 11. As I cannot attend with the loaded Sig Sauer, the cub ran up the tree and I didn't know that... The mother ran off about 50 feet but wouldn't leave... I found it really odd because usually they take off a good distance if you come out and scare the crap out of them... eventually the mother started doing a weird call like a barking, and then the cub began to bark back.... I still at the base of the tree and I kid you not I started the coax it like a cat or a dog, come on down its okay, come onnnnnnn, you can do it... It freaking came down! I couldn't believe it. As it came near the ground of course I backed off, and the whole time I couldn't believe the mother stood at the road about 50 feet away and never came back into the camp. Of course, I did have my dog with me which is the whole reason that I heard the bear in the first place from inside the tent. The dog with a gun itself killed, I had to hold it back and then eventually tied it to my bumper..... So, around 6 feet from the ground the bear, even though it was a cub it was a little heavy, it took out the last branch and fell straight on its ass! Hahahahaha... Poor little thing let out a yelp that you could hear all over the entire campground. And then it ran off and almost out ran its mother up the road. I did do my trick of backing up to a tree with the cooler underneath. This mama bear was smart, and she figured it out and got under the truck then managed to push and push and push until she finally dislodge it from where I had wedged it under the hitch! Guess what she ate first out of 20 different things including bacon and lunch meat and so forth? The freaking peanut butter! Lol even close they leaked a little air and she must have smelled it and went right for that. She did eat some of the other stuff, the second thing she went for was the mayonnaise. Lol.

Okay, sorry for the tangent here, I just figured you'd like the bear story because you certainly have encountered some up where you are. They are all over the Angeles Crest National Forest and usually they are just brown bears... But once in awhile does black bears come out of the canyons and they are relentless, they will chase your ass on a hike all the way down the crack of a mountain. Also, there is about a thousand stories you can read of Rattle snakes cuddling up to people the camp the tents . They love the body heat and I don't know if they bitr their way in or maybe they figured out how to unzip a zipper, hahahahaha. Bottom line is it happens a lot and I guess sometimes they just go under the tent, people have moved and startled them and BAM. don't get me wrong, I sleep quite often in a tent, and I have a really nice three room, 18 foot by 8 foot by 6.5 foot tall.... Sometimes, I just really quickly have to add, the noise can be a factor. In my truck, especially since I've insulated it a little more, its much quieter.

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 09-18-2013 at 10:30 AM.
Old 09-18-2013, 12:20 PM

It would only take a second to remove the hi lift if I needed to fold the seats. The % I need to fold it down is so little that even for you guys it won't be a troublesome spot to install the hi lift. 98% of the time your driving o the streets or trail so that alone means it will be stored there 98% of the time unless its needed for a flat or something.
I didn't find any another better place to mount it since all my tools/gear stays in the truck 100% of the time. I wanted it to be less seen. The roll bar just takes up to much space and can be seen a mile away lol. I don't have tint windows. Rolling back window down than rear door to access it takes time oppose to open driver door which u do anyways than slide seat fold. Bam. Hi lift time. I just to place all my gear according to what will be used most before getting to camp site. Recovery gear and tools are always the quickest to get to in my truck. Same with air hose and plug in for it. The less I have to roll rear window down the better. I collect so much dirt/dust on the window and when rolled down it goes down into the rear door . I have already have quick access to a small coil hose with blow gun on it in the read bumper for blowing out the window before lowering

We mainly have brown bears but yet to encounter one. Like you my dogs and Glock will keep me safe. Food is placed plenty far from tent as well
Old 09-18-2013, 09:29 PM

ever since i had the downy headers installed. i have always wonder if i should do the muffler as well. i wanted a better flowing muffler without the noise. i happen to have a 2nd gen Scion tC muffler. i cut my old muffler and piping out. cut the tC muffler according and welded the bad boy in. it wasnt finished and the pipe didnt extended all the way back. it had a nice quite rumble to it. drove around and the fumes would find its way into the cab so i extended the pipe and dumped it down to the side just above the bumper (wanted it above so i dont hit rocks with it.

Old 09-20-2013, 07:11 PM

ready for my weekend at the beach
Old 09-20-2013, 10:55 PM

Sweet! Can't wait to meet ya, ......and see Blanca! Lol....
Old 09-23-2013, 10:01 AM

Had an awesome time at Ultimate Yota 2013 Jamboree. Got to meet the Famous Chef of yotatech. Very impressive with the amount of knowledge he has about 1st/2nd gen runner electronics. I ll post of the pictures/videos i have and steal some off Chefs page once he has his up lol. Chef- steal as many links/pictures of my page as you want for your page.

start of my Saturday morning meeting my friends since we left at different times but was able to meet up on the road. we stopped at Kettleman city for b-fest

Touchdown the SAND!!

Group Shot, i barely made it. im on the far right...

than everyone drive down and screwed around

one of the guys wanted to do a pull pal demo in middle of camp

Chef finally showed up and we at the camesite. it was also super nice to meet Nate-BlazeLand and Albert again (they are far right)

our camp site, everyone at the event camp within this huge fenced of area they had

a few pictures of us screwing around further into the dunes

while we were gonna jump this spot. a random ride showed up and was bleeding. lucky someone had 1st aid kits and fixed him right up

in the water!!!

Old 09-23-2013, 10:11 AM

Chef said its been so long since he been on the sand. than our 1st drive out there, you can see he just starts ripping it. I know he was having so much fun. like a kid at a candy store. I glad you had fun!!

Last edited by ToyoTech559; 09-23-2013 at 10:13 AM.
Old 09-23-2013, 10:23 AM

Looks like a great day out.

I've never been in sand dunes like that.
Old 09-23-2013, 10:33 AM

Old 09-23-2013, 10:58 AM

Oh man, you got lots of great pics..... Very grateful! I wish I had a passenger and I could have gotten a lot better videos... I got a few photos and I should B done in a few hours uploading those videos... I have to go through them and just toss out a bunch. Had a blast man! Again, thank you so much for including me into your Toyota guru group! Lol. While I am NOT a Toyota guru or employee, I guess I love them enough to be included for a couple days? He he he...

I'm glad you got some good action shots of yourself shooting sand along that bowl... Et cetera. I got some video of that one part that night were you spun out and shot sand everywhere, all inside your cab, and then you guys were joking around with the air gun... It was pretty funny man, Ruben was laughing so hard..... Hopefully you can grab some of their photos too? At least Kurt got a few didn't he?( sorry if its Kirk, I just kept hearing Kurt, lol....GOOD DUDE! And really nice family that he has... ! I felt so bad for his wife being sick in that weather at times... That must have felt rough!)... Also, I'm not sure on how he spells ribbon... I know traditionally its Reuben, but was Richards buddy I believe it's just 1 U and 1 E.. lol.

Anyway, as I said, it was awesome meeting you and everyone else is well, really good people all of them.
Old 09-23-2013, 11:40 AM

Awesome shots guys. Looks like I missed out in some high speed fun haha. I was telling Mark last night that there's something about traveling at high speeds and getting air that freaks the crap out of me. I think I'd be scared to do it. Still who knows maybe the adrenaline rush would be enough to overpower that fear haha
Old 09-23-2013, 11:42 AM

Great pics! Good to meet you and everyone finally. Your rig did great!

Quick Reply: ToyoTech559's 1988 4Runner Build-Up Thread