86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

TheBrokeYota's 1987 Pickup Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2016, 03:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Daul cases are completely done. I still need to figure out a shifter boot for the rear shifter.

Old 01-19-2016, 03:06 AM

Yesterday i pulled all the stock power steering out because ALL of my PSC full hydro stuff is supposed to get here today. Pretty excited about that and i also made a tempary rear driveshaft. I'm gonna be order real drive shafts soon and then I'll keep this one as a trail spare.

Last edited by TheBrokeYota; 01-19-2016 at 03:09 AM.
Old 01-19-2016, 04:10 AM

It's looking awesome!! I'm looking forward to the write-up's headed towards the beast's completion. NICE!!
Old 01-19-2016, 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by Glenh865
It's looking awesome!! I'm looking forward to the write-up's headed towards the beast's completion. NICE!!
Thanks. Im starting to feel like she's getting closer. Once i get the steering and brake lines done. I can actually go for a test drive.
Old 02-06-2016, 06:07 PM

Finally started working on the toyota again. Started by mounting the psc full hydro orbital. I took me a while to figure out a good way to mount it and finally figured it out. I ended up welding a piece of 1.75 dom to the bottom of the mount that came in the kit. Then i made some tabs that welding to the tube and then the frame. Pretty happy with it. I then made a mount for the huge psc resi. Next it mounting the cooler and the ram. Thinking about doing high steer but not sure if i wanna spend the $$ on it though. (Sorry the pics are not in order)

Old 02-06-2016, 06:09 PM

Here are pics of the resi mount

Old 02-07-2016, 08:49 AM

Nice! Clean work! You'll have to let me know how you like the psc Kit. I'm torn between that and TG kit just for how cheap TG kit is. But then again I'm against everything TG. They steal more people stuff and every time I look there warrantee is gone, changed, or nonexistent. Anyway looks real nice!
Old 02-07-2016, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by rick8282
Nice! Clean work! You'll have to let me know how you like the psc Kit. I'm torn between that and TG kit just for how cheap TG kit is. But then again I'm against everything TG. They steal more people stuff and every time I look there warrantee is gone, changed, or nonexistent. Anyway looks real nice!
Thanks. I finally feel like the yotas coming along. I chose the psc kit over the trail gear because psc only make steering product and have been around a long time and is proven. I consider the tg hydro but heard a couple bad reviews that they leak. The tg kit is definitely alot more "bolt in" because the psc kit is pretty much universal and ive had to pretty much make mounts for everything. Once its driving ill give u a review on the performance but I'm sure it'll be awesome.
I have a question for you though. What brake master cylinder are u planning on running with your tons? And are gonna run 4 wheel disc like me?
Thanks

Last edited by TheBrokeYota; 02-07-2016 at 03:59 PM.
Old 02-07-2016, 04:39 PM

I upgraded to the (iirc) early 90s land cruiser master long ago. It's the 1" bore and I want to say the land Cruzer had rear disks (so it had the right built in residual valve for rear disc). I've had rear disks on a few ifs rear housing that have been in my truck. I used Toyota 4 pistion calipers and the 1" bore master worked grate.
On my 6 lug full float 14 bolt I'm building now I spent extra for the brake brackets I got so I could use the 1/2 ton Chevy caliper instead of the 3/4 ton that all the other brackets use so I think flow will be ok, hopefully I will find out in a few weeks!
Old 02-08-2016, 07:22 AM

I upgraded to the (iirc) early 90s land cruiser master long ago. It's the 1" bore and I want to say the land Cruzer had rear disks (so it had the right built in residual valve for rear disc). I've had rear disks on a few ifs rear housing that have been in my truck. I used Toyota 4 pistion calipers and the 1" bore master worked grate.
On my 6 lug full float 14 bolt I'm building now I spent extra for the brake brackets I got so I could use the 1/2 ton Chevy caliper instead of the 3/4 ton that all the other brackets use so I think flow will be ok, hopefully I will find out in a few weeks!
ok thanks for the info. I think im gonna try the gm master with the sky mfg booster and line adapters.
Old 02-08-2016, 02:04 PM

I ended up fork lifting it again but for the first time with the ruf. Then I cut the front fenders. I really like the new fenderline. Hopefully i cut enough but once im aired down and turning and flexing it'll be close.

Last edited by TheBrokeYota; 02-08-2016 at 02:06 PM.
Old 02-08-2016, 02:24 PM

Heres pics of the fender chop

Old 02-10-2016, 09:05 AM

42s? Looks like it. When I had 42s on mine I had to cut/beat/plasma a lot of the front body mount. Then I beat the crap out of the front wheel well (where your feet go). I want to say it moved it back an inch or 2. I'd still rub the tires in the rocks all the time. if I remember correctly the big trick was to light beat the pinch weld over, then take the big 8 lbs sledgehammer and beat the crap out of it.
Old 02-10-2016, 10:32 AM

42s? Looks like it. When I had 42s on mine I had to cut/beat/plasma a lot of the front body mount. Then I beat the crap out of the front wheel well (where your feet go). I want to say it moved it back an inch or 2. I'd still rub the tires in the rocks all the time. if I remember correctly the big trick was to light beat the pinch weld over, then take the big 8 lbs sledgehammer and beat the crap out of it.
No 39.5 and they measure out to right at 39 mounted. And aren't u running toy axles? With the width of the dana 60 i think im gonna clear the body but only one way to find out and that to get this pos finished and wheeling.

Last edited by TheBrokeYota; 02-10-2016 at 10:33 AM.
Old 02-10-2016, 07:29 PM

Lol yup I'm on toys still. Sorry 1/2 awake post this morning before I ran out for work. My bad sorry! But looking at the pictures I think your going to rub! Full steer it and flex it out again. Then you can build bumps now in the shop and have a better 1st trip out.
Old 02-11-2016, 07:04 AM

Lol yup I'm on toys still. Sorry 1/2 awake post this morning before I ran out for work. My bad sorry! But looking at the pictures I think your going to rub! Full steer it and flex it out again. Then you can build bumps now in the shop and have a better 1st trip out.
Ya i hear you. Im definitely gonna fork lift it again once the steering and brakes are done to make sure nothing binds or rubs. I wanna do high steer but I think the tie rod is going to hit the frame at full bump at a minimum and if i do high steer i need to make sure i mount the ram in a place that willnt hit anything either. Thats the only down side to running a low rig. But i like how she sits and im a fan of a low cog.
Edit: (the pics of it on the fork lift was before the chop. That why its so close) lol

Last edited by TheBrokeYota; 02-11-2016 at 07:35 AM.
Old 02-11-2016, 07:36 AM

Have you looked into running the ram behind the axle? I know the backwards high steer arms are out there. Something I looked at but don't have the room.
Old 02-11-2016, 09:06 AM

Have you looked into running the ram behind the axle? I know the backwards high steer arms are out there. Something I looked at but don't have the room.
Like this?

Like this guys setup but i don't think i could pull it off because it'll hit the frame. I am actually wanting to run the tie rod behind the axle but i think it gonna hit the oil pan and frame. There is more room in the front to put the tie rode. Either way ill probably make a mount that comes off the middle of the axle for the ram.
Old 02-11-2016, 01:20 PM

Yea. I was thinking more doubling ended ram. No tie rod but that's cool too. I've just always thought if I'm going full hyrdo I'd ditch the tie rod.
Old 03-04-2016, 02:23 PM

Well I've been pretty lazy about updating the thread but i have gotten a lot done. I have ordered all axle parts (r&p's and lockers), bought socks high steer arms, and all stuff to do brakes. I made custom frame stiffiners up front. Heres a bunch of pics of it all

Last edited by TheBrokeYota; 03-04-2016 at 02:30 PM.

Quick Reply: TheBrokeYota's 1987 Pickup Build Thread